Anybody heard DCM TFE 60's?

albee

Anybody heard DCM TFE 60's?
« on: 10 Mar 2007, 08:43 pm »

I understand the name has been revised being designed in USA and made in China.  I like the styling but haven't been able to find much reveiw-wise.  The "Kevlar" midwoof looks to have a fixed phase plug and but everything  else seems okay.

Please post your opinions if you have heard these.

http://www.dcmspeakers.com/products/cabinet/tfe60.htm

Scotty

Re: Anybody heard DCM TFE 60's?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2007, 03:53 am »
What follows is cautious speculation or a WAG depending on your viewpoint. While I cannot trace the lineage of the kevlar woofer used in the DCM TFE 60,
I think there is a good chance that the tweeter used is a Vifa DX25TG05-04.
SEE link:  http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-578
If ,in fact this is the tweeter DCM used, it is based on the Scanspeak ring radiator diaphragm design with an oversized surround allowing a larger excursion
at lower frequencies before distortion sets in.
Some friends of mine have used this tweeter in a couple of different loudspeakers and the consensus was that this is an excellent sounding tweeter with very good dynamic range and resistance to distortion from signal overload and low overall distortion.
 It has very realistic sounding performance on instruments like cymbals,violins, etc. It also did not have problems with sibilance on female vocals.
The speaker might be worth an audition based  on the quality of the drivers used.
This is no guarantee of good performance, but the company appears to have started with good drivers. The tweeter will lend itself to a lower crossover point with less distortion which allows the designer to avoid any problems that the kevlar woofer might have at top of it's passband. The end result could be a pretty good sounding loudspeaker for the money.
Scotty
« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2007, 01:58 am by Scotty »

albee

« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2007, 06:17 pm »
Thanks, Scotty, what little I've found seems to say "clear and precise" without treble over-emphasis.  Naturally, that sound damned near perfect....I have read the floor standers can overload a small room (bass-wise) and that the stand mounts have great bass.

Anybody else?

KKM

« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2007, 05:47 am »