Latest Live Shows You've Been To...

django11

• Canuckistani
Re: Latest Live Shows You've Been To...
« Reply #1120 on: 6 Jul 2014, 04:13 am »
Double bill at the Montreal Jazz Festival.  The first part was Gary Clark jr and he was stupendous.  The second part was BB King.  I knew I would be seeing an older BB but he is either senile or was drunk and shouldn't have been on stage.  Very sad...

Airborn

« Reply #1121 on: 30 Jul 2014, 12:56 am »
Saw Queen + Adam Lambert (as Freddie Mercury) at Merriweather Post Pavilion, Columbia MD on July 20th.  He did a surprisingly good imitation of Freddie, if a little over the top.  I couldn't get a very good view for pics from the lawn seats, so I had to settle for pictures of the big screen. Still all in all, a very entertaining show :thumb:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #1122 on: 30 Jul 2014, 01:59 am »
Avett Brothers with Shovels & Rope opening, July 13, Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morison CO. This was a great show. Shovels & Rope is a very talented husband/wife duo playing old acoustic guitars, electric guitars, a keyboard, kick drum, snare drum and cymbals and a harmonica. I'd call their music good old fashion, down home rock n roll. They were really good and played for an hour. The Avett Brothers played for 2 hours 35 minutes and were absolutely terrific. It rained a little about the time the gates opened, but the weather was dry and near perfect for the concert.

RPM123

« Reply #1123 on: 31 Jul 2014, 04:04 am »
Pinky Doodle Poodle in SF...they rock!

Andre2

« Reply #1124 on: 8 Aug 2014, 03:34 am »
Yes! In concert in Houston, the show was fantastic!  Great singer, and the old timers can still rock progressively.

Close to the edge, and Fragile albums were played, the yes album, as well as a couple of songs from the last album  :banana piano: :beer: :violin: :drums: :guitar: :rock:

WireNut

« Reply #1125 on: 8 Aug 2014, 03:41 am »
Besides Steve and Chris who were the band members ?

Andre2

« Reply #1126 on: 8 Aug 2014, 09:45 pm »
old timer Alan White on the drums as well.  The "new"members are Jon Davison (great singer, very similar to jon anderson) and Geoff Downes (decent keyboard, not a virtuoso like rick Wakeman)

http://yesworld.com/2014/03/yes-u-s-tour-summer-2014-fragile-close-edge-greatest-hits-heaven-earth/

vinyl_lady

« Reply #1127 on: 8 Aug 2014, 10:01 pm »
old timer Alan White on the drums as well.  The "new"members are Jon Davison (great singer, very similar to jon anderson) and Geoff Downes (decent keyboard, not a virtuoso like rick Wakeman)

http://yesworld.com/2014/03/yes-u-s-tour-summer-2014-fragile-close-edge-greatest-hits-heaven-earth/

Geoff Downes was in Yes in 1980 and played on the Drama album before Yes broke up in 1981. He then joined with Steve Howe, John Wetton (King Crimson) and Carl Palmer (ELP) to form Asia.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #1128 on: 21 Aug 2014, 06:45 pm »
Went to "An Acoustic Night with Jackson Browne", night before last. He played 23 different guitars and baby grand along with his lead guitar player from the band he's currently touring with. It was outstanding. Very intimate setting. Always the audiophile, I'm comparing the live sound to what my system can do. One thing was obvious, my system does not reproduce the sound and weight of the baby grand terribly well. It's time for an upgrade. I doubt it's my electronics or source components. It may be time for new speakers. My Vandersteen 2Ci's are getting long in the tooth. I've got plenty of power and can drive any rational design. Any suggestions.?

Doc

weatherman1

« Reply #1129 on: 25 Aug 2014, 04:56 am »
Brothers Comatose at my local community radio station KAFM's Radio Room.  Bill themselves as a bluegrass band out of Petaluma, CA.  Mandolin, Double Bass, Fiddle, brothers on guitars.  Much more than just a bluegrass group, write most of what they do and throw in the occasional cover piece.  Great stage presence for relatively young group.
Annalise Emerick performing this week on the 27th.

Airborn

« Reply #1130 on: 2 Sep 2014, 01:25 am »
Saw The Strokes at the Chelsea Theater inside The Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas on August 20, 2014. Opening act was guitarist John Hammond Jr.'s band, so he was on stage for well over three hours.  The new Chelsea is much improved from the old ballroom that used to masquerade as a concert venue.  This pic is from the 2nd level in the back and there was not a bad seat in house.

ccklone

• The Only Good Head is a Deadhead
« Reply #1131 on: 2 Sep 2014, 01:39 am »
Hey Now,

Saw Jerry Douglas at the Kentucky Country Day Theater in Louisville, KY on 01AUG. Nice small intimate venue with a master of his craft.

--
Finest kind,
Chris

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #1132 on: 2 Sep 2014, 02:10 am »
Shelby Lynne at The Soiled Dove Underground in Denver, wonderful, intimate performance as usual.

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
Re: Latest Live Shows You've Been To… King Crimson
« Reply #1133 on: 11 Sep 2014, 01:18 am »

Tuesday night, King Crimson @ The Egg in Albany. 

This is a very different Crimson reformation to what has gone before:
- seven players, four English and three American
- three drummers – Gavin Harrison (drums), Bill Rieflin (drums), Pat Mastelotto (drums),
- Tony Levin (bass, earthquake, sonic boom and vocals)
- Mel Collins (Sax, flute)
- Jakko Jakszyk (guitar, vocals) and Robert Fripp (guitar).

This was also their first outing in this new reincarnation and unfortunately it showed in places and there was some sloppy playing and rough sound boarding but any flubs were countered by bursts of brilliance. All the Crimson identifiers were present: precision angular riffs, muscular jamming, dizzying switchbacks and fractualized time signatures. And loud. Did I mention loud? It was obvious that Levin was not to be outdone by three drummers and whenever he picked-up the electric bass,  he was loud to the point of ear drum puncturing distortion. Red and One More Red Nightmare were, imo,  the highlights of the evening even though for crowd appeal, they couldn't go wrong with In the Court of The Crimson King as an encore. My main interest in Crimson is in their 90s music to the present, especially the Projeckts, and not before, but fans with an appreciation for their earlier music won't be disappointed. Once they get a few shows under their belts the flubs and kinks should be worked out. I had seen them in 2008 with Adrian Belew and thought that reunion was much more to my liking but I think it's safe to safe that most attendees last night would disagree with me. Everyone seemed to love it. And did I mention it was loud? And to think that all that amplification filling the concert hall was being driven only by a Harmon Kardon 430 Twin 25 watt per channel receiver and a pair to Totem Sttafs.  Amazing.
(Ok, I made that last part up.)

fridays

« Reply #1134 on: 11 Sep 2014, 02:47 am »
John Butler Trio
Simon Estes amphitheater Des Moines Iowa
A friend at work told me about, great show

fridays

« Reply #1135 on: 11 Sep 2014, 02:48 am »
John Butler Trio
Simon Estes amphitheater Des Moines Iowa
A friend at work told me about, great show

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #1136 on: 17 Sep 2014, 03:49 am »
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers with Stevie Winwood last night.  Brought the entire Wells Fargo Center to their feet, dancing, singing, clapping.  Oh what a night.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #1137 on: 21 Sep 2014, 04:12 pm »
Grace Potter and the Nocturnals supported by Lake Street Dive (Rachel Price is really talented--great voice, rest of the band are just ok) and Trombone Shorty (AWFUL!) at Red Rocks. GPN put on a terrific show. Played over two hours and grace climber about 25 rows into the crowed on the final encore.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #1138 on: 21 Sep 2014, 04:39 pm »
Trombone Shorty was awful?  Huh, I've always liked what I've heard on the radio. 
Maybe he was just having an off night?

vinyl_lady

« Reply #1139 on: 21 Sep 2014, 04:54 pm »
Trombone Shorty was awful?  Huh, I've always liked what I've heard on the radio. 
Maybe he was just having an off night?

It was more loud noise than music. I didn't care for his style either so that may be influencing my awful rating. I was on the 11th row and most of those sitting around me didn't much like them (50-60 year olds). However, the 20-30 year olds seemed to dig them. But everyone was digging GPN.