SV10 dual sub build - finally!

JohnR

SV10 dual sub build - finally!
« on: 10 Feb 2014, 01:09 pm »
I've had a pair of SV10s from Mike sitting on a shelf for... a long time. Finally, they've been put into a box. The box is smaller than I would have liked, but I already had panels cut thinking they would each get their own box, then decided I liked the opposed sub configuration much better. Anyway, the plan:

The result:

Thanks Mike! :thumb:

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: SV10 dual sub build - finally!
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2014, 01:13 pm »
Beautiful! I like the way you mounted the woofers from the 'inside'  :thumb:

Measurements when you have time, this sub should really give you some kick in the >50 Hz range!

Best,
Anand.

persisting1

« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2014, 08:33 pm »
That look really nice  :thumb: More importantly, how does it sound?

I've owned one of Mike's 10" subs. They really are a good bargain.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2014, 04:44 pm »
Beautiful work John! I love the way it looks . . .

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2014, 08:54 am »
Thanks Mike! I'll be making more subs/speakers with this style of construction, it's relatively simple to finish, no veneering, etc. However I do need to work on my gluing and finishing skills, in person it's not hard to find flaws  :lol:

I had a chance to turn them up yesterday. With the nearby wall and floor vibrating, the cabinet itself had hardly any movement. So the dual opposed configuration does work - mission accomplished  :thumb:

More importantly, how does it sound?

It sounds good...! "Solid", if you know what I mean. It's gone straight into the HT though and is connected to the sub out on my inexpensive AVR... sorry :) Having said that I'm becoming increasingly convinced when it comes to subs that as long as you have good quality ingredients, it's all about location, location, location. (Mixed metaphor...  :duh:)

Beautiful! I like the way you mounted the woofers from the 'inside'  :thumb:

Thank you :) I was originally intending to mount them from the outside but I just decided they looked like they would be better inside. Having done it, I think I prefer it and will probably do it this way in future unless there's a reason not to. BTW I'm not sure if it's clear from the diagram but the bottom/plinth is removable, there are bolts between panels F and G.

Measurements when you have time, this sub should really give you some kick in the >50 Hz range!

Sure. Bearing in mind that as I said the box is smaller than I would have done if I'd not already had most of the panels cut for a single driver, red is the nearfield response. The early rolloff in the response from 80 suggests a fairly high VC inductance - seems consistent with about 3 mH in the model. BUT! Blue is the response at the listening position. With no EQ. I kinda knew how that location in the room (for the sub) behaves - bit of a boost in the 30s, dips around 60-80 - but I wasn't expecting it to work out that well! Anyway, so once I get my HT EQ back online I'll tweak it a little bit, but there really isn't a lot more that needs to be done.

Guy 13

« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb 2014, 09:27 am »
Hi JohnR and all Audio Cirle members.
I have four Eminence 12" Acoustinator gattering dust on a shelve with two GR Research SA-1 plate amplifier (All purchased from Danny) that I would like to put to use.
I like the idea of opposed drivers.
I just need the wood and a few kicks in the butt to get me going.
No, I don't need any help for the kick in the butt.

Guy 13
By the way, nice work.
May I ask where you will locate them
versus your main speakers.

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: 14 Feb 2014, 09:39 am »
Hi Guy, the sub is located behind the front left speaker, but as with any sub it's the location in the room that has the biggest effect on response.