ICE is nice

shep

ICE is nice
« on: 11 Mar 2010, 01:18 pm »
I started this topic on AN, but it didn't go very far  :duh: I have a custom made ICE integrated amp that I absolutely love. I have compared it to a nice tubed setup belonging to a neighbor and I prefer mine. There doesn't seem to be a consensus concerning this technology. Some demean it as being suitable only for subwoofer amps or in-car systems, while others love it. I'm obviously in the latter camp. I would appreciate any feedback from those actually posessing ICE amps (Belcanto, Wyred etc.) rather than opinions. For the record mine is the small module (2X75w) and is very tricked out by Cullens ( à la Wyred). Thanks
ps despite the name, my amp is musical, engaging, fluid, and just this side of cool.

mshan

Re: ICE is nice
« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2010, 01:23 pm »
Aren't the Pioneer SC-05 and above AVRs ICE powered?

Here's a YouTube video of what is / what was (haven't kept up) their statement product:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZcp6pEq5uk

mfsoa

« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2010, 01:39 pm »
I borrowed one of the Rotel ICE amps (the ~ 125 watter, not the big 500 job) at the time that I owned Channel Island D200s (UcD modules) and I preferred the Rotel. It was more open but had a slight chromed edge to the treble ("Chrome" stolen from a review I read, but it's the perfect word for it).
For <$1000 I thought the Rotel was quite good.
I now have a different Class D design, and find that given their pros and cons, they can be a great choice.

-Mike

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2010, 02:17 pm »
I've got the PS Audio GCC-100 tricked out by Cullen and love it driving my Magnepans.  I think it has been the longest I've ever stayed with a single amp, and there have been several over the years (Adcom, Counterpoint, Audio Research, Audio Refinement, Muse 300 monoblocks).  I love the spacious, open sound and great control it has on the planar bass panels.  Just picked up a pair of big high-efficiency "constant directivity" speakers with pro drivers, and initial impressions are equally positive, though this gives me a chance to try out some low-powered options including tubes and chipamps.

I also have one of the original Wyred Ice Cube 200-S amps, which I believe was their first product.  Essentially a tricked out PS Audio Trio Amp with modifications done to the input board (which actually says "PS Audio" on it) and a pair of the little ICEPower 200ASC modules (the GCC-100 uses the 250ASP modules).  I got it primarily for rear channel use, but have not had surround set up for some time.  I definitely prefer the GCC, but that may be due to differences in the input stages and added power of the GCC.  Still exhibits the same general characteristics, just a smidge less open, detailed and unrestrained.

I'm definitely in the Class D camp and have been partial to the ICEPower amps, but I'm also interested in trying out the DIY options via classdaudio.com (there's a long thread about these in the Cheap and Cheerful forum).  Played around with TriPath via Sonic Impact, which work surprising well for $30, but more a novelty for me good for a desktop system and not plausible in my main system with such limited output.