Best deal on loudspeaker kits ever.

Danny Richie

Best deal on loudspeaker kits ever.
« on: 1 Feb 2011, 07:52 pm »
There is a thread on this topic that is ongoing here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=84989.0 But I thought I better sticky this part of it so it doesn't get lost in all the other threads here in our circle.

I have always been at the top of the performance per dollar spent category, but now I am REALLY raising the bar. I am now offering some new loudspeaker kits of some multiple award winning designs at ridiculously low price points.

Note that I said "KITS" and not fully assembled speakers. The prices below do not include cabinets.

Here is the short story:

I designed a product line for AV123 known as the X series. It started out with a brilliant idea from Mark Schifter to offer a real over achieving mini-monitor and sub as a lost leader and use it as an advertising tool rather then spending a lot of money directly on advertising. The speakers had to be well engineered and mass produced to keep cost low, then sold at levels barely above cost.

The plan worked well as the X-LS and X-sub racked up awards and accolades.

Then we followed them up with a higher end version using a world class tweeter and took everything up a notch. Other models followed that filled out the line with many of them winning industry awards as well.

Fast forward to AV123 hitting some bumps in the road that lead to them recently closing the doors...

X series speakers were last being made in Colombia by Santiago and family, and they did a wonderful job with the whole line. But they obviously will no longer be manufacturing them. And that left them with thousands of X-series drivers, crossovers, and various parts. They couldn't afford to sit on this product that they have purchased and really needed to recovery some of their investment.

So Santiago and I have agreed to a deal that will allow all of the X-series inventory to be sent here to GR Research. I am now blowing them out as kits and at prices that will make them fly out the doors. The faster they sell the faster I can send funds to Santiago and his family, so prices are really low for fast sales.

I have already taken delivery of two forty foot container loads of product.

There will be more information made available here on AC and on the GR Research web site as soon as I can get it up. I have crunched the numbers, factored in shipping cost, brokerage, etc, and I think I can stick with these numbers. These prices included everything but the cabinets.

Original X-LS mini-monitor: $109 per pair.

These were reviewed by Audioholics, Affordable Audio, Home Theater and High Fidelity, GoodSound, Tone Audio, Consumer Guide, Prillaman.net, and several others. They received two Product of the Year awards, Best Buy award, Budget Speaker of the Year, and seems like there might have been one or two more that I can't remember. An upgrade for that model offered by the Skiing Ninja was also reviewed by Tone Audio.

Original X-CS: $79 each.

This was a matching MTM in a sealed box using a pair of the 16 ohm woofers in parallel. These were reviewed by Home Theater Talk, Audioholics, Consumer Guide, and Affordable Audio.

X-LS Encore: $169 a pair.

This was an upgraded version of the original X-LS. A few pics here: http://av123.wetpaint.com/page/X-LS+Encore

These were reviewed by Positive Feedback, and several others. A Skiing Ninja upgraded version also won the small speaker shoot out by Stereo Mojo: http://www.stereomojo.com/Small%20Speaker%20Shootout%202007/SmallSpeakerShootout2007Part1.htm

X-CS Encore: $119 each.

An upgraded version of the original X-CS, MTM center channel speaker.

This was also reviewed by Positive Feedback. There was also a review of the X-MTM, X-CS, and X-ls at Home Theater Sound, and they were given a Reviewers Choice award.

X-Omni: $199 a pair.

This is an omni directional design for left and right mains or rear surround applications. It was reviewed by Affordable Audio and given a Best of 2009 award.

X-Statik: $379 a pair.

This hugely popular model is an MTM in open baffle with an addition pair of woofers below.

Some pics here: http://av123.wetpaint.com/page/x-statik

This speaker was reviewed by Affordable Audio, AV Guide, Gear Patrol, Audioholics, and the Absolute Sound, winning their Top Value award and an Editors Choice award. Stereo Mojo also gave it a Best of Show at RMAF 2008.

X-Voce: $189 each.

This speaker is a center channel version of the X-Statik.

A few pics are here: http://av123.wetpaint.com/page/x-statik+Centre

It uses an open baffle MTM center section with an additional sealed box woofer on each end.

These were also reviewed by Gear Patrol and several others.

All of these kits use the original crossovers (made in China). If you want Sonicap upgrades or want to purchase all the parts to completely build out point to point wired networks than all of that is obviously going to be extra.

So tell all your friends or post the good news all over the place. You'll never find deals like this again.

You'll need to call to order these. GR Research 940-592-3400
« Last Edit: 17 Aug 2015, 03:55 pm by Danny Richie »

siava1018

Re: Best deal on loudspeaker kits ever.
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jun 2011, 01:40 am »
Danny do you have cabinet designs for the X-omni?

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun 2011, 01:50 am »
Danny do you have cabinet designs for the X-omni?

Sure. E-mail me about them and I'll forward them over to you.

siava1018

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jun 2011, 01:52 am »
thanks i was about to send you a email anyway.

nottaway

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jul 2011, 04:46 pm »
Hows the inventory on MFW-15 drivers?  Do you have a rough number?

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jul 2011, 03:21 am »
Hows the inventory on MFW-15 drivers?  Do you have a rough number?

Looks like some of the other forums found the MFW deals and really moved on them. While most of the X series kits and speaker sales have slowed now (maybe its the summer), MFW-15's have been moving pretty fast.

I think I have 4 of them left that are perfect.

nottaway

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jul 2011, 03:01 pm »
I read nearly the first six pages and didn't find it answered....

Danny, do these come with terminal cups, woofer gasket, and stuffing etc?  It says everything but the cabinets but I'm not sure if those would be considered parts of the cabinets.....

Thanks,

Nicholas.

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jul 2011, 03:07 pm »
It does not include stuffing, but does include EVERYTHING else. Stuffing cost more to ship than its worth.

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jul 2011, 04:33 pm »
The original X-LS mini-monitor kit.

This has really got to be the deal of all deals when it comes to speaker kits. You can get this multiple award winning design with everything that you see here for only $109. That's crazy. There is nothing else on the market even close to this bag for the buck.

Box plans are here: http://www.gr-research.com/pdf/x-ls%20classic%20box.pdf
« Last Edit: 3 Aug 2011, 10:07 pm by Danny »

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 28 Jul 2011, 04:40 pm »
That is crazy.

2bigears

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jul 2011, 04:47 pm »
 :D  how bout a sale on Super V kits ???? ha  :D

rajesh

• Live & Let Live
« Reply #11 on: 28 Jul 2011, 05:08 pm »
Dream pricing. :drool: Do you ship it to India Danny?

tonrod55

« Reply #12 on: 28 Jul 2011, 05:55 pm »
Does anybody offer ready made cabinets for these?  Perts Express maybe?

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 28 Jul 2011, 06:38 pm »
No Super-V sales right now.  :(

These are priced low to move some numbers quickly so that Santiago and family can get reimbursed for them as soon as possible.

I can ship these to anywhere that there is a postal service pretty easily.

I think Ruben (Outofthewoods) cut some flat packs for these and priced them really low. So he might be a good source.

The PE 1/2 cubic foot straight cut and curved box works fine with these too.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: 28 Jul 2011, 07:14 pm »
That's crazy.

That is crazy.

+3

jeffh

« Reply #15 on: 29 Jul 2011, 03:02 am »

This has really got to be the deal of all deals when it comes to speaker kits. You can get this multiple award winning design with everything that you see here for only $109. That's crazy. There is nothing else on the market even close to this

I built a pair of these back in December and they really do sound great!
« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2014, 03:51 am by jeffh »

rajesh

• Live & Let Live
« Reply #16 on: 10 Aug 2011, 11:31 am »
I can ship these to anywhere that there is a postal service pretty easily.
That's great news. Sending you a PM.

freerider

« Reply #17 on: 11 Aug 2011, 09:14 pm »
Bought this kit the other day.  Looking forward to it as it's my first DIY speaker build.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #18 on: 11 Aug 2011, 09:30 pm »

+3

+4

These are great mini-monitors!  They are a wonderful way to hear music in a system.    :thumb:

rajesh

• Live & Let Live
« Reply #19 on: 12 Aug 2011, 03:22 am »
Can five of them make a great HT or would it be an overkill especially as a centre speaker?

P.S. Just wondering, why has this kit not been listed on the GR Research website :scratch:
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2011, 06:39 am by rajesh »