ANNOUNCING THE NEW AVA VISION DAC ! ! !

Lefty052347

• AVA Associate
Re: ANNOUNCING THE NEW AVA VISION DAC ! ! !
« Reply #280 on: 21 Aug 2012, 10:17 pm »
Reply to Math Geek:

I downloaded the first George Thorogood album in 88.2 from HD Tracks.  I have played it through my dacs using an USB Kingrex interface with fubar2000 and using my squeeze box touch without issue.  Also you don't have to move the dac jumper unless you are going above 96 khz.

Regards,
Dean

mathgeek97

« Reply #281 on: 21 Aug 2012, 11:55 pm »
Take a look at your DAC owner's manual and move the jumper on the DAC board so it connects both protruding pins.

Frank

Frank,
I thought that was only for 176 and 192 kHz.
Also, did you ever install an XMOS board for any customers and get feedback from them?

Dean,
Do you know for certain that the Kingrex was outputting 88.2kHz/24bit?  Audirvana would play at 96kHz after some on-the-fly converting.  Sounded ok, but I wasn't overwhelmed.  What do you have the Kingrex plugged into, Mac, PC, or Linux.  If Mac/Linux, does it need drivers?

Thank you both for your help.

Lefty052347

• AVA Associate
« Reply #282 on: 22 Aug 2012, 01:49 pm »
I only use the Kingrex at shows or at the shop.  I don't know what the output was from the Kingrex.

Regards,
Dean

avahifi

« Reply #283 on: 22 Aug 2012, 07:18 pm »
The Kingrex (now discontinued) was good up to 192/24 although at trade shows, using Jim Salk's streamer and computer source material, we were only playing 44/16 and some 88/24 material.  We used the Kingrex mainly because Jim's streamer only has USB output and we needed to support that with our DAC.

Right now I am evaluating the new USBstreamer board from Mindsp.  We have it running just fine on 192/24 material on my engineer's PC using the solftware download that comes free with it.  However, it is giving us headaches with my new Macbook Pro computer.  It should run fine with it with no drivers needed at all, but we get everything out but sound.  I need to try another music program.  I am currently using Fidelia and the USBsteamer is not working with that at all right now for some unknown reason.  This is driving me a bit crazy so far.

Note that with the jumper connected both pins in an AVA DAC, all bit rates will play just fine.  Technically, in that mode the digital filters are not optimized for 44/16 playback, but in listening here it still sounds just fine with the jumper set for high bit rate.  There will be some roll off above 16,000 Hz, but if you can hear the difference you have a lot better ears than I do.

Regards,

Frank

mathgeek97

« Reply #284 on: 22 Aug 2012, 11:28 pm »
Frank,
I took your suggestion and switched to hires mode on the DAC.  Still no 88.2kHz, so I guess it's my old MacBook Pro's optical out that only wants to do 44/48/96.
What version of OS X are you using with the test board? 10.6 (Snow Leopard) will do integer mode, but on Lion and Mountain Lion, Apple took that out of Core Audio.  However, at least Audirvana in the latest beta versions has a work around.  Maybe give that a try?  Also, is the USBstreamer board USB2.0 compliant and asynchronous?

mathgeek97

« Reply #285 on: 31 Aug 2012, 02:13 am »
Frank,
I took your suggestion and switched to hires mode on the DAC.  Still no 88.2kHz, so I guess it's my old MacBook Pro's optical out that only wants to do 44/48/96.
What version of OS X are you using with the test board? 10.6 (Snow Leopard) will do integer mode, but on Lion and Mountain Lion, Apple took that out of Core Audio.  However, at least Audirvana in the latest beta versions has a work around.  Maybe give that a try?  Also, is the USBstreamer board USB2.0 compliant and asynchronous?

After doing more research, it really was the very old MacBook Pro.  Switched back to the non-jumpered setting (96kHz max) on the DAC, grabbed a newer MacBook Pro, and installed Audirvana+.  I'm happy to report that I was able to play a sample 88.2kHz/24-bit file with no issues and pretty good sound.