diffractionbegone.com

jimdgoulding

diffractionbegone.com
« on: 4 Sep 2011, 04:59 pm »
Got this today from a chap in Canada using some Totem floorstanding speakers:

Hi Jim,

Well, I'm generally not prone to hyperbole, however, I'm truly amazed at how much of an audible difference these pads made to my system. In listening to recordings that I know well, the increase in inner detail, imaging solidity and smoothness (in a good sense) were easily discernable. This was not something that you had to listen over and over again to hear a questionable difference, but was immediate on first listening. Even the most critical ear (the better half) could not believe the improvement.  In the tweaky world of audiophiles and overblown claims, I can think of no better value for the money.

CHEERS

.ps they fit perfectly!!

At the end of the last sentence, he is quoting Robert E. Greene of TAS who awarded me a Golden Ear Award and is where he, the customer, first read about the product.

jriggy

Re: diffractionbegone.com
« Reply #1 on: 4 Sep 2011, 05:27 pm »
Great to see mention of these Jim! And congrats on the award... I loved them when I had speakers they were good for. You made me a set for a previous pair of Dynaudio's.

sturgus

« Reply #2 on: 5 Sep 2011, 02:25 am »
Jim, I am also glad to see you get a little recognition for great product. Anybody looking for a great cheap tweak that works, please give these a try.
Sturgus

jimdgoulding

« Reply #3 on: 14 Sep 2011, 09:21 am »
Thanks, fellas.  Here's my most recent little ad/announcement posted around the net-

Diffraction and its effects . .

is something I've made a study of and custom make an affordable after market product for its removal. For those of you who don't know, diffraction is the reflection of waveforms shorter in length than the width of your speaker cabinets or those produced by your tweeters. This is not something owners of Gallo speakers, for example, or any baffleless speaker to include planars, need be concerned with. It is for the owners of box speakers with right or near right angles. Diffraction in action:

http://www.silcom.com/~aludwig/images/diffdem.gif

Those green and red circles in the illustration by Al Ludwig are not a part of any recording that you own and are additive in your frequency and time domains. They are late arriving, out of time and phase. Some box speaker manufacturers, not very many, compensate for a rise in the frequency domain caused by diffracted waveforms summing in by reducing the tweeters output just above of the crossover, but the time and phase anomaly persists to the detriment of the clarity and dimensionality inherent in good recordings.

I use organic wool and individually fit to the dimensions of most any speaker baffle and offer with a 30 day trial period. You should give it a try. You just might find that it is the best value audio investment you've ever made.

Some user and reviewer comments can be seen on the back page at my website: www.diffractionbegone.com.

Thank you and see you in the forums.