Symphony number 40

JohnR

Symphony number 40
« on: 10 Aug 2011, 05:12 pm »
What a fantastic piece of music!! I've always wondered what happened to 1 to 39, I must go in search of them.

richidoo

Re: Symphony number 40
« Reply #1 on: 10 Aug 2011, 06:12 pm »
You mean Mozart?   

40 is my fav.

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 10 Aug 2011, 07:11 pm »
Did anyone else write 40 symphonies? (Genuine question)

I thought I had 40 and 41. But I have 40, 32 and 38 on the computer. I think I may have more on LPs. I find Mozart difficult to navigate, as he alternates between (just my HO, no offence to anyone) complete brilliance and complete dross.

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #3 on: 10 Aug 2011, 07:24 pm »
John:

In no specific order, I have listed below pieces that I think are well worth your time...

1. Symphonies:#35(Haffner), #39, #40, #41(Jupiter)
2. Opera Overtures:  Don Giovanni, Magic Flute(Die Zauberflote), The Marriage of Figaro
3. Clarinet Concerto(Robert Marcellus/Cleveland Orchestra/George Szell) - 2nd mov't is considered by many to be the most beautiful melody Mozart ever wrote.
4. Horn Concerto #2 (Hermann Baughmann - if you can find it)
5. Piano Concerto #21(Elvira Madigan)
6. Grand Partita for Wind Instruments

Enjoy the journey...  :thumb:

Insert Quote

Did anyone else write 40 symphonies? (Genuine question)

Franz Joseph Haydn wrote 106 symphonies!! :o

Regards, 

Randy

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 10 Aug 2011, 07:29 pm »
Thank you, I'm listening to Horn Concerto #2 right now, although I don't know the soloist (terrible isn't it). Never been a clarinet fan - time to change?

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #5 on: 10 Aug 2011, 07:33 pm »
Never been a clarinet fan - time to change?

You will be if you get the Robert Marcellus recording... 8)

To give you a comparison numbers of symphonies by some composers...

Mozart - 41
Beethoven - 9
Haydn - 106
Brahms - 4
Shostakovich - 15

Regards,

Randy

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 10 Aug 2011, 08:20 pm »
If you can, check out the recordings of the late Mozart Symphonies that Mackerras made with the Scottish Chamber Orchestra for Linn - IMO these are reference level recordings in great sound.  Also, the discs of him conducting a few of the late Piano Concertos with Brendel playing the piano are at a similar level.

You are right though, Mozart did write a lot of fluff, but when you get to his late stuff (Piano Concerto's 19-27, Symphonies 35-41, the "Haydn" string quartets, Don Giovanni, etc...), he wrote some amazing music.

katzer

« Reply #7 on: 13 Aug 2011, 05:06 am »
I just heard the Mackerras recording on Linn classical (internet radio), and it is indeed an excellent recording.

katzer

« Reply #8 on: 18 Aug 2011, 05:12 am »
This thread re-kindled my interest in this piece.
I just listened to Bernstein and the Vienna Philharmonic recording and I am still "processing it".
The orchestra is completely "sold" on Bernstein's vision.

If I had to choose one word to describe it, it would be "smooth". It doesn't lack enthusiasm or "punch", but no rough edges (the last movement can get harsh on a few recordings). Very refined recording.

I have a bunch of other recordings I am waiting for, especially the Celibidache's...

Randy

« Reply #9 on: 27 Aug 2011, 05:31 pm »
Mozart's clarinet concerto is one of the most sublime pieces of music ever written. It is a late work, and along with the late operas, shows that Mozart was getting better every year. If only he'd lived another ten or fifteen years.

This is my favorite version which uses a basset clarinet for which the concerto was written.

http://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Clarinet-Concerto--Antony-Christopher/dp/B000004CXE/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1314465712&sr=1-2

Randy

« Reply #10 on: 27 Aug 2011, 05:38 pm »

Toon

« Reply #11 on: 28 Aug 2011, 12:33 am »
The Clarinet Concerto was the last major instrumental work that Mozart completed. I was about to recommend the Anthony Pay / Academy of Ancient Music recording, but Randy beat me to it.  :)

Regarding the Symphonies, the Linn recording by the Scottish Chamber Orchestra that Tyson mentioned is superb. Remember, Mozart was writing for orchestras of 20 or 30 musicians - when you hear them played by a chamber orchestra (or, better still, the period instrument ensembles) they suddenly assume a transparency and grace that is crushed out of them by the excessive weight of a full modern symphony orchestra.

A perfect example is the lovely Eine Kleine Nachtmusic (surely a glaring omission from rklein's list!). Often heard today in a horrible arrangement for full orchestra, it was originally written for string quartet plus bass. When heard like that it is a total revelation - try the Salomon Quartet's 1984 period instrument recording: http://www.amazon.com/Wolfgang-Amadeus-Mozart-Nachtmusik-Christopher/dp/B000004CX9/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1314491333&sr=1-1

katzer

« Reply #12 on: 28 Aug 2011, 06:03 am »
For the Clarinet concerto, my favourite recording is Ernst Ottensamer's with the Vienna Phil conducted by Sir Colin Davies.
That recording was first issued by Philips and is hard to find under that label. I noticed it now on ebay under the Decca label though.

Ottensamer is one of the Principals of the Wienna Phil and the style is 'strictly Viennese'. It also features the Weber and Spohr concertos as well. The level of playing is nothing short of spectacular. In fact, as far as the Weber concerto is concerned, I have yet to hear a recording that came close.

One must mention the Oboe concerto as well.

My favourite recording is with Gerhard Turetschek (Bohm/Wiener).
That album also features the Clarinet Concerto and the Basoon Concerto.
http://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Clarinet-Concerto-Philarmonic-Orchestra/dp/B000001GDI/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t
It is disturbing that you can get it used at 'garage-sale' prices these days on Amazon.

Ralph

• College Chemistry Professor, Psychologist
« Reply #13 on: 18 Oct 2011, 05:37 pm »
If you want the most passionate and darkest reading of the Symphony #40, there is only one: the EMI Vienna Philharmonic recording conducted by the master of masters, FURTWAENGLER.