Anyone install a garage door opener before?

KKM

Anyone install a garage door opener before?
« on: 14 Nov 2010, 11:02 pm »
My chain drive door opener is loud and sounds like it is dying. Heard that belt or screw drive is quieter. Looking a 1/2hp belt drive by Chamberlain at Lowes. I was wondering how difficult it is to install? Is it as simple as taking the chain and motor off and screwing the new opener and hooking up the belt on the existing hardwares? Have not done this before but am game to DIY. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

AVnerdguy

Re: Anyone install a garage door opener before?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2010, 11:06 pm »
Have had to do that in every home I've owned. Actually pretty easy.

If you can find the same make/model that's already there it's just a matter of dropping the old one and putting up the new one in it's place. If not it may require moving the mounting blocks. Give yourself a few hours to complete. Simple hand tools are all that's required.
PM me if you have any questions.

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2010, 11:35 pm »
I did this last winter, it went very smoothly.

I bought this house 5 years ago, and the existing Sears chain drive unit died.  I took digital pics of the unit, and went to Sears.  I found one that, other than the cosmetics, appeared to be identical.

Swapped it out with my father (in his 70's, but willing to hand me tools, and taller than my 5 and 7 year olds!) inside an hour.

Dead simple - take digital pics of the current wiring.  Loosen the slack on the chain lots, and drop out the old unit.  Bolt in the new one, and review how the old one was wired.

Nothing else had to be changed - I now have a very heavy box of spares (the rail, the chain, the sensors etc) in my cold room, just waiting for something to die next.

I would rate this a 3/10 for difficulty - it would honestly be a 1, if not for the ladder, and the need to hoist the opener up etc.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2010, 11:40 pm »
I replaced a dead unit a few years back. Found one that was nearly identical for an easy swap. Couple hours at most. Good luck.

jackman

« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2010, 05:35 pm »
Can you swap a quiet belt or screw drive without any major changes?  It sounds like you guys swapped chain units for chain units.

Our current chain drive is working fine but I'd like to get a quieter one because it's right under our bedroom.  When I get home late at night, i hit the door and it wakes everyone up!  I'd like to sneak in if possible.  :thumb:

AVnerdguy

« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2010, 05:49 pm »
Well, now you're going to get into replacing the entire unit and when I changed from a chain to a belt it required all new mounting points. You'll have to find something solid to anchor to and probably build a new structure for it.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #6 on: 15 Nov 2010, 06:00 pm »
Can you swap a quiet belt or screw drive without any major changes?  It sounds like you guys swapped chain units for chain units.

Our current chain drive is working fine but I'd like to get a quieter one because it's right under our bedroom.  When I get home late at night, i hit the door and it wakes everyone up!  I'd like to sneak in if possible.  :thumb:

I took the easy way out and paid somebody to install my belt drive Chamberlain unit (which is very, very quiet).  This was one of the top rated models according to Consumer Reports.

While I could have probably installed it with some help from my wife, friend, or neighbor, it seemed worth the few dollars to have somebody handle it.

George

KKM

« Reply #7 on: 15 Nov 2010, 06:13 pm »
Thanks for all the replies so far.

Jackman and anyone else interested, there is a belt drive 1/2 hp Chamberlain garage door opener at Lowes for $98 on Black Friday, so about 1/2 price.

jackman

« Reply #8 on: 15 Nov 2010, 06:41 pm »
Thanks George and thanks KKM for the tip. 

Is a half horse powered unit powerful enough for a double door (it's not a wood door and appears to be hollow)?

Thanks!

Jack

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 15 Nov 2010, 06:53 pm »

Is a half horse powered unit powerful enough for a double door (it's not a wood door and appears to be hollow)?

Thanks!

Jack

Jack,

I'll check on my model number when I get home, but I am pretty sure that we went with more than 1/2 HP for my single door units.  I talked to the installer and went with his recommendation (we bought the units separately, so he had nothing to gain with his recommendation).

George

KKM

« Reply #10 on: 15 Nov 2010, 07:57 pm »

Thanks!

Jack

Mines is a 2 car garage door, aluminum and uses a 1/2 HP so it is sufficient, higher hp is always better but more expensive.

mcgsxr

« Reply #11 on: 15 Nov 2010, 08:42 pm »
The Mastercraft unit I reference replacing was a 1/2 hp, and lasted 14 years.  I replaced it with the same.

My door is double, steel, not insulated though.

turkey

« Reply #12 on: 15 Nov 2010, 09:10 pm »
Is belt drive really quieter? I always thought it was the motor and how it was mounted and isolated, rather than the type of drive for the door that made the difference.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 15 Nov 2010, 10:10 pm »
Is belt drive really quieter? I always thought it was the motor and how it was mounted and isolated, rather than the type of drive for the door that made the difference.

The Chamberlain I purchased is significantly quieter than the chain drive unit it replaced.

Our bedroom is above the garage and if I got home late, the garage door would sometimes wake my wife.  With the Chamberlain belt drive in place, she has never been woken up.

George