Hyperion 938 Impedance matching

bkh

Hyperion 938 Impedance matching
« on: 6 Nov 2009, 07:05 am »
Hyperion 938 has 6 ohms nominal impedance and 3.8 ohms minimum.  I can't find the speaker impedance curve.    My Sonic Frontier Power 2 tube amp can set the tap to 2,4 or 8 ohms.  If your amp can set to 4 or 8 ohms, which setting sounds the best for the Hyperion? 

PaulFolbrecht

Re: Hyperion 938 Impedance matching
« Reply #1 on: 8 Nov 2009, 03:15 am »
Why don't you listen to your own amp and find out?

You will likely find the bass a bit tighter from the 4 ohm tap but *may* get more body from the 8.

bkh

« Reply #2 on: 8 Nov 2009, 06:08 pm »
When I switched from 8 ohms to 4 ohms tap, I think I noticed the bass is tighter but the mid range seems a little bright or edgy.  I have not yet switched back and forth a few times to confirm.  My SF amp is a 110 lb monster and it needs to take out over 30 screws in the bottom to get access to the taps.

If the Hyperion impedance ranges from 5 to 10 ohms in most of the frequency spectrum (only with a dip to 3.8 ohm in extreme low or high frequencies), then it might make sense to set the tap to 8 ohms.  That's why I wanted to find out the impedance curve to optimize the setting.

For those who have tried out various tap setting in your amps, can you share your experiences?  Thanks.

PaulFolbrecht

« Reply #3 on: 8 Nov 2009, 10:39 pm »
Wow - I would not have guessed you needed to take your amp's cover off to switch output taps.

I am sure the 938s are a benign load as they were designed for low-power, high-Zout amps and they do perform very well with them.  However, they are definitely a 6 ohm-nominal speaker.

When I used 845 SET monos with them (and 211s for that matter) I believe I used the 4 ohm taps but the difference was not that great.