What classical music you listening to, luv?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: What classical music you listening to, luv?
« Reply #20 on: 19 Jun 2009, 01:37 am »
How does one fit those speaks on a bookshelf?

Use a speaker stand Jim....it's more better.... :lol:

Don't you mean mo better?  You tryin to disrespect me?

Now would I do that ? :shake:

Speaking of Mo'....try this Jim.... :wink:

Lifer

« Reply #21 on: 19 Jun 2009, 01:55 am »
Young feller, a rhumba from Viva Manitas de Plata! on Connoisuer Society willl be heard at the forthcoming analog meet with the audio group I belong to courtesy of me.  Pretty amazing that a recording this good can be made with a portable tape deck and a couple of mics.   Would that be the recording you are refering to?  Tho Ballardo is on several of his, me thinks.  Cheers.

I was listening to a 3 lp set just called Flamenco Guitar.  It includes singing by Jose Reyes and Manero Ballardo. It is from 1965 and the Book of the Month Club.  There is a great insert with marvelous photos.

It sounds like it was recorded as you describe, very real, somewhat wild.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #22 on: 19 Jun 2009, 02:29 am »
The "Antarctica Symphony" portion of this disk has been called "the best digital recording ever made", and is often recommended for use as a demonstration disk on high-end audio equipment. One listen and you'll understand why...this is truly a sonic marvel.

It is quiet good.... :wink:

Vaughan Williams: Symphonies Nos. 7 "Sinfonia antartica" & 8....Cd....Samples...   

jimdgoulding

« Reply #23 on: 19 Jun 2009, 02:56 am »
Young feller, a rhumba from Viva Manitas de Plata! on Connoisuer Society willl be heard at the forthcoming analog meet with the audio group I belong to courtesy of me.  Pretty amazing that a recording this good can be made with a portable tape deck and a couple of mics.   Would that be the recording you are refering to?  Tho Ballardo is on several of his, me thinks.  Cheers.

I was listening to a 3 lp set just called Flamenco Guitar.  It includes singing by Jose Reyes and Manero Ballardo. It is from 1965 and the Book of the Month Club.  There is a great insert with marvelous photos.

It sounds like it was recorded as you describe, very real, somewhat wild.

Looked at the liner notes for grins and there were actually 4 mics used.  Reyes is on this, too.  It was the fifth in a series of seven records made in Arles, France of which you have three.  Like to have been there.  You, too, I'm sure  Love his bulerias, also.   

If you didn't know, you can click on "quote" in the upper right hand corner and it will block a post and bring it forward.  Cheers.

mikemikeB

« Reply #24 on: 19 Jun 2009, 04:18 am »
Bartok Second Violin with Menuhin -- the CD of the old Mercury recording with Dorati -- but, in my head ( i'm a composer ), though referenced from this CD. i've known the piece for 40 years but i don't know why it's 'in my head' for the last week. maybe it means rain.

my source is a sony 777es, unmodified and sennheiser 600 stock, run through a yamaha C2 preamp. i'm thinking of getting a head amp but i may just get new interconnects ( .5m XLO's now, looking at used .5 meter Empirical "holophonic perfect crystal". gosh... they say they're perfect.

Randy

« Reply #25 on: 19 Jun 2009, 05:16 pm »
Art,
  Search for it at Amazon.  It's a Marco Polo disc.  Try also the Alexandrov disc on Hyperion if the era and style of piano music appeals to you.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #26 on: 19 Jun 2009, 10:44 pm »

Good sound quality on this disk. :D
My Omega Hemp Bipoles V.1  can actually handle this music quite well. Very surprising since they only have four 4-1/2" drivers. I think that the bipole design is  apt at revealing the feeling of being at the event and the spaciousness needed to express orchestral music.

This music would be synergistic with a Summer picnic in a wildflower field on the Italian Riviera with your true love. :angel:

Despite the cover :rotflmao: this is not ancient Egyptian music.

-Roy

Randy

« Reply #27 on: 21 Jun 2009, 02:54 am »
search Valentin Silvestrov at Amazon and look at the album titled "Drama." It consists of three titled works that are actually a sonata for violin and piano, a sonata for cello and piano, and a piano trio. Silvestrov is a post-modernist who made a mild splash about ten years ago when Sony released a recording of his 5th symphony. These works are in the same style, though obviously chamber instead of orchestral. You can sample them briefly at Amazon. Despite their dreamy style, this is not music for background listening. I think it requires absolute attention for this music to work its magic.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #28 on: 22 Jun 2009, 03:05 am »
The Nutcracker- Kirov/Gergiev 1998 Phillips. The recording was made using the vacuum tube gear. The macro dynamics of the orchestra is stunning. Bought for $10 at amazon

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #29 on: 24 Jun 2009, 01:08 am »
All this talk of du Pre has me listening to my various recordings of the Elgar Cello Concerto.  Currently this is the one I've got streaming:

richidoo

« Reply #30 on: 24 Jun 2009, 02:42 am »

Leon Fleischer - "Two Hands"

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #31 on: 2 Jul 2009, 07:44 am »
One of Perlman's better recordings:

timjthomas

« Reply #32 on: 2 Jul 2009, 09:50 am »
Doing a bit of comparison between Uchida an Andsnes on Schubert's Sonadas D958 & D959.

Mijknarf

« Reply #33 on: 2 Jul 2009, 08:56 pm »
I'm very new to classical and have started our with some sonatas.  Two of late that I've really enjoyed are:

Haydn: Piano Trios
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NG3PYI/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

Mozart - The Violin Sonatas
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004SA87/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

Randy

« Reply #34 on: 2 Jul 2009, 09:07 pm »
Mljknarf - Try Midori playing Elgar and Franck violin sonatas. You'll like it.

http://www.amazon.com/Franck-Sonata-violin-Elgar-Em/dp/B0000029ZE/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1246568622&sr=1-12

Her album of French sonatas (Debussy, Poulenc, and Saint-Saens) is equally fine.  Then there's the Ravel sonata. There are many good recordings of it out.

Mijknarf

« Reply #35 on: 3 Jul 2009, 01:30 am »
Very nice works indeed Randy, thanks for the recommendation.  I also like the "Valentin Silvestrov" you suggested above.  I'm a jazz fan first and foremost and totally agree that this music is NOT background music.  I absolutely love the detail that comes through in these chamber sonatas.  "Moving" is the word that comes to mind.

Randy

« Reply #36 on: 3 Jul 2009, 07:10 pm »
Hope you enjoy them. While on the subject of violin sonatas, I'd like to recommend two other seldom heard works, both just absolutely gorgeous. (My versions are by Vadim Repin.)  The Richard Strauss op. 18, an early work, and the Sonata no. 3 by Medtner. The latter has some haunting passages and a rip roaring finale.

At Amazon you can sample these works via the box set of Repin recordings. Strauss is tracks 14 - 16 on "Listen to samples," the Medtner is tracks 45 - 48.  The box set, btw, is a tremendous bargain. You can get many staples of the violin repertoire in good performances and recordings in one fell swoop at a great price, ten CDs for a few bucks more than $40.

Randy

« Reply #37 on: 3 Jul 2009, 07:43 pm »
Since on Amazon you can't tell what's in the Repin box set, I thought I'd list them for those interested. To start with, the first disc is composed of short encore pieces and is titled "Tutta bravura." The longest work is Wieniawski's "Variations on an Original Theme."  Disc 2: Debussy, sonata; Schubert, "Grand Duo for piano and violin," another startling work; and the Prokoviev sonata for two violins, then two encores, (this is a live recording) the Blues movement from the Ravel sonata, and another short piece. Disc 3 -  the Strauss sonata; Stravinsky, Divertimento; and Bartok, Romanian Folk Dances (very nice). Disc 4- Prokofiev sonatas 1 and 2, and "Five Meoldies," op. 35. Disc 5 - the complete Ravel sonata and the Medtner sonata. Disc 6 - the Tchaikovsky Piano Trio and the second Trio of Shostakovich. Disc 7 - three Mozart concertos, nos. 2, 3, and 5. Disc 8 - Tchaikovsky and Sibelius concertos. Disc 9 - Shostakovich, Concerto no. 1 and Prokofiev, Concerto No. 2. Finally, disc 10 - Lalo, Sympnonie espagnole; Chausson's "Poem," and Ravel's Tzigane: Rapsodie.

At Amazon you can briefly sample, I think, nearly every track in this set and get it for a good price. For the listings, look here, an easier read than what I just did.

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=144696

jimdgoulding

« Reply #38 on: 3 Jul 2009, 07:58 pm »
Sibelius: Symphony No.2- Royal Philharmonic/Barbirolli (Chesky).

jimdgoulding

« Reply #39 on: 6 Jul 2009, 07:40 pm »
Ernest Bloch- Trois Poemes Juifs/Two Last Poems . . Maybe/Evocations.  A KOCH International digital recording of James Sedaris conducting the New Zealand Symphony.