Opera companies around the world

JohnR

Opera companies around the world
« on: 29 May 2009, 12:13 pm »
Perhaps woodsyi would be willing to make a sticky with links to the websites (with concert schedules) of opera companies around the world.

If so, here is my entry:

http://www.opera-australia.org.au/

My tip, BTW, for buying seats in the Sydney Opera House, is don't get C reserve if you want to be able to read the surtitles. Spend big for B :D

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: Opera companies around the world
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2009, 04:00 pm »
I will do one and see if we can get group participation here.

The premier company in the USA is the Metropolitan Opera Company, simply known as Met operating out of the Opera House at Lincoln Center in NYC.

http://www.metoperafamily.org/metopera/

It's the world's largest Opera operation.  The Opera House is humongous and singers better have large voices if they want to be heard in the Family Circle (upper deck) seats.  Prices go from $20 a seat in the Family Circle to $360+ in center boxes.  Advice is to get whatever you can afford toward the middle on weekdays.  Premiers on Saturdays are likely to be sold out.  It's definitely a place of must visit for any Opera fans. 

Randy

« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2009, 10:59 pm »
The Royal Opera in London, better known by its location, Covent Garden. I saw a brilliant production of Don Giovanni there last Sept. and hope to get there again this fall.

http://www.roh.org.uk/

While I'm at it, another favorite, the Lyric Opera of Chicago.

http://www.lyricopera.org/

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2009, 02:45 pm »
The LA Opera; located in Los Angeles, California. Placido Domingo is the General Director.

Video samples and details of the Company are available here.

Have fun,
Jerry

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 1 Jun 2009, 08:03 pm »
The Opera House at the Kennedy Center for Performing Arts

is the home of The Washington National Opera. 
http://www.dc-opera.org/

Placido Domingo is the General Director here as well as at LA.
I have been a subscriber for 20 years here and have seen the company grow.  Most (I agree) would rate it just below San Francisco and Lyric (Chicago) which, in turn, are below Met at the top.  The 2300 seat Opera House has a cozy feel with good acoustics.  The productions are top notch with good supporting orchestra and chorus.  We occasionally get top notch performers like Rene Fleming earlier this season, but we normally get young, up and coming singers in leading roles.  New and young artists or old standbys with Washington ties usually fill in the supporting roles.  Domingo used to sing at least one production a year but it's been at least 2 years since he has last sung in a production. 

Prices range from 50 to 275 but you can get standing room tickets at each performance for cheap.  They also offer young people (35 or less) last minute discounts on weekday performances.  The Terrace Cafe at the center has very good (but pricey) food for a cafeteria.  The Rooftop Restaurant has good food and wine selection although the choices are rather limited.  They do go out of their way to accommodate your opera schedule, though.   

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2009, 01:04 pm »
I will do one and see if we can get group participation here.

The premier company in the USA is the Metropolitan Opera Company, simply known as Met operating out of the Opera House at Lincoln Center in NYC.

http://www.metoperafamily.org/metopera/

It's the world's largest Opera operation.  The Opera House is humongous and singers better have large voices if they want to be heard in the Family Circle (upper deck) seats.  Prices go from $20 a seat in the Family Circle to $360+ in center boxes.  Advice is to get whatever you can afford toward the middle on weekdays.  Premiers on Saturdays are likely to be sold out.  It's definitely a place of must visit for any Opera fans.

Also, remember the forgotten stepchild, NYC Opera, http://www.nycopera.com/aboutus/.  NYCO is just by the shoulder of the Met.  Unfortunately, the Met just overshadows NYCO just because NYCO doesn't have the big-ticket names such as Domingo or Fleming.  It was not founded to be big like the Met perhaps.  Their mission was, IMO, to be adventurous, promote up-and-coming singing talent, less-known operas, newer compositions, etc.  NYCO never achieved fame like the Met, but rather notoriety for its poor acoustics (The Met's acoustics are OK, but its sheer volume is intimidating, if not voice-killing.  There have been gallant efforts to rectify the sound problem at NYCO, with mixed results perhaps.  Lincoln Center is going through a facelift now.  Does anyone know IF the current project to upgrade the entire Lincoln Center complex involves inside upgrade also?

Meantime, I just would like to drop a name.  Beverly Sills graduated from NYCO.  She went on to acclaim at the Met, Milan, LaScala...... :thumb:

david12

« Reply #6 on: 4 Aug 2009, 06:03 pm »
 What else but Glyndebourne, in Sussex. Maybe I am wrong, but I think the origonal Country House Opera company. Started and still largely run, by the Christie family. One of the few companies to run without any external or Government support.
   The Opera is great and the best location for a picnic in the long interval, looking out at the wonderful sussex countryside. The problem, getting tickets, I know a debenture holder who sells me 4 tickets, most years, when he has them. This year, Rusalka at the end of August.
   The best bit, nearly everyone dress's in formal Dinner jackets and long dresses. It makes you feel part of a great event

http://www.glyndebourne.com/

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 4 Aug 2009, 07:17 pm »
Welcome to Audio Circle and the AC Opera House, David.

I always assumed the Glyndebourne Festival is a festival of relatively short duration during which you have almost daily operatic performances, e.g. Bayreuther Festspiele, but it's really an Opera house with a long summer season.  I like that you have long interval for a full picnic or dining.  I think it's better than short intermissions that barely give you time for a drink. 

Cheers and let us know how Rusalka goes. 

david12

« Reply #8 on: 25 Aug 2009, 03:43 pm »
Well, as requested, a report back on Russalka at Gylndebourne. I can truly say, the best production I have seen. I mean here, in the quality of the staging, which was so imaginative. There was a central bowl in the stage, which formed Russalka's home lake. The water nymphs were lowered from the ceiling with 20foot tails attached. It sounds ludicrous, but it was very effective

A first and hopefully the last, in any stage production, Russalka herself got so envolved, she fell off the stage, into the orchestra pit, landing on a lady cellist. Fortunately, nothing but the cello was seriously damaged.

My music  but exclusively Prog rock loving daughter, came to her first opera and was entranced, by the Opera and the setting. There really is something magical about an Opera house set in the middle of beautiful countryside, with sheep as your nearest neighbours

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 25 Aug 2009, 05:51 pm »
Thank you very much for reporting back on Rusalka.  I am glad the production was good and your daughter took to it. :thumb:  I have the Fleming version on CD and an older Czech version on vinyl and like the music.  I pretty much like Dvorak.  I have a couple of DVDs staged in Glyndebourne and it looks like it can stage anything.  The '73 Le Nozze di Figaro featuring Te Kanawa, Cotrubas and von Stade with Pritchard conducting at Glydnebourne is my favorite recording of this opera.

Keep posting on AC and perhaps I will run into you at Denver.   

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #10 on: 26 Nov 2009, 09:53 am »
Perhaps woodsyi would be willing to make a sticky with links to the websites (with concert schedules) of opera companies around the world.

If so, here is my entry:

http://www.opera-australia.org.au/

My tip, BTW, for buying seats in the Sydney Opera House, is don't get C reserve if you want to be able to read the surtitles. Spend big for B :D

http://www.teatrocolon.org.ar/english_index.php

Back in Buenos Aires on way home, just realized to mention this.  Teatro Colon here is under major, major renovations, reason: I think, for centennial celebration.  It'll reopen on May 25, 2010.  If anyone is traveling to South American next year, it's wothwhile to check it out.  Tickets are probably hard to get......  Its acoustics are supposed to be fantastico. 

Walking around on the ouside, one is immediately impressed by its classic facade.  I could see through the windows that the inside is opulent. 

Updating with a couple of pictures:

« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2009, 12:12 pm by goldlizsts »

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 21 Jun 2010, 06:19 pm »
Can't believe that we don't have Teatro alla Scala on the list.  This is the Mecca of opera and I will be on a pilgrimage in July.  I just got confirmation for floor seats for Il babiere di Siviglia on the 12th with Juan Diego Flórez as the Count of Almaviva and Joyce DiDonato as Rosina.  It took a little doing to secure the seats.  :dance:

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #12 on: 29 Sep 2012, 02:31 am »
This topic has been quiet too long.  Opera is dying?  Just came back from Budapest, so here it is. 

On the outside, it looks fine, typical classical structure.  The lobby, however, was not impressive at all, small, dark (no performance at the time, in the afternoon; stuffy I felt, no sense of spaciousness or opulence at all.  Guess it was deemed opulent back in the good old days?  Supposedly the acoustics is fantastic.  I'm sure it's also very laboriously built (rather than furnished) inside, knowing how people behaved and acted in the "good" old days of the past centuries, esp. a high-browed artistic venue....  I think it has only like 1,300 seats, cozy?  Or stuffy/congested, just like the lobby?  Anyone been inside?

I was in the neighborhood again the next day, just a few minutes before a scheduled tour was to begin.  I inquired of it, but was turned off when told that it's be like $15.  PLUS, taking pictures (camera in my hand) would be another $2.50.... I walked.  Greedy poor souls!? :duh:

A couple of blocks away I think, is the less famous Operetta House.  Supposedly quite popular also.

Both are either ON (the Opera House) or just off a major street there, Andrassy, which was built with the intention of emulating Champs Elysee.  Nearby are Burberry, LV, etc. stores.  But... it first is not as wide, and the traffic is not there.  I'd say it's a little like a Dumps Elysee :lol:.