Happy New Year!

drab

Happy New Year!
« on: 8 Feb 2009, 08:42 pm »
I figured that since there hasn't been any posts since December I would wish everyone a belated Happy New Year. David, I hope
this year is a healthier, wealthier year for you. Just curious if you have any updates on any of your activity (if any).

Mike

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
Re: Happy New Year!
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2009, 06:32 am »
Hmmm, Activity,

There is nothing new on the audio front and there probably won't be anything for many months :oops:.  At the end of December I purchased a better video camera to create a decent documentary for the 1801C cabinet plans.  I was fairly excited about this, but my excitement didn't last long.  About 2 days later I "sprung" my right knee in physical therapy  :duh: .  Isn't physical therapy supposed to help  :duh: .  The result was a fluid pressure in the joint that wouldn't allow my knee to fully extend.  I learned to hobble/limp quite well.  There was no external swelling, but the internal swelling became worse with use.

I spent most of the following 4-6 weeks with my knee elevated.  During this time I had an MRI and a visit with Ortho (2 days ago).  The doc didn't know why my knee was filling with juice, but did convey that I have a low grade arthritis in my knee  :( .  My running days are over.  This is very discouraging.

The internal swelling has dissipated and I am back to being somewhat functional, but my focus for the next several months will be moving.  I have a few projects that NEED to be accomplished before we list our home for sale.  A move will follow, and our next home will most likely (??) have a place for a workshop, but setup and assembly will take considerable time.  I don't expect to be active in the workshop until next winter.  There are many variables involved and having a marginal knee will slow matters considerably.  I am not sure how effective I will be.  Today I used my elliptical trainer for 10 minutes.  After 5 minutes my knee tightened-up somewhat.  It was my first exercise/activity in about 2 months. 

Please understand that I feel blessed in my life in many regards.  I am retiring from the military in a few weeks, my limbs are attached, my family is very solid, and my wife is very happy.  I am more fortunate than most G.I.'s. 

Sincerely,

Dave

BrianM

« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2009, 01:13 pm »
Sorry to hear all that, Dave.  Best of luck with your recovery.

drab

« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2009, 02:13 pm »
David,

Congratulations on your retirement. Your years of service are appreciated here.

Having had knee issues myself, I know how difficult it is to stay positive. A lot of patience
is required to get through it. I had a sprained knee with arthritis as well and wasn't
able to do much for a long time. But eventually it gets better and I am playing some
tennis again(but no basketball yet). One good thing is during the time I couldn't move
around is when I discovered your site and became interested in this hobby.

Looking forward to you being in your new home with your new shop cranking out
speakers(as I'm sure you are)! :thumb:

Mike

TomW16

« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2009, 04:26 pm »
Sorry to hear of your knee injury Dave but congratulations on your retirement.  It sounds like exciting times are ahead with a move.

All the best.

Tom

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2009, 10:49 pm »
It sounds like exciting times are ahead with a move.

I don't know that I would use the word "exciting"   :roll: but there is certainly a reasonably amount of change in the near future for me.  I suppose there are people that enjoy change, but I am generally not one of them.

You are obviously an optimist aa.  I tend to be more of a pragmatist :|.  I tend to enjoy my life in it's current state - despite a few kinks.

But eventually it gets better and I am playing some tennis again(but no basketball yet).

Hmmm, how long did you go easy on your knee?

Thanks for thinking of me gents.

Dave

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #6 on: 16 Feb 2009, 07:04 am »
Dave:

After you get through with retirement, finishing the work on your home, selling your home, and moving to your new home (gee, I get tired just thinking about it), and caring for your knee, I hope that things will be a lot less demanding and that you will have ample time to spend with your family and with the other activities that you enjoy.

My best to you and yours.

fred

« Reply #7 on: 17 Feb 2009, 01:46 am »
I've also had knee problems, having had surgery twice on my left knee.  Here's my experience: I listened to my doctor and physical therapist.  After the 2nd surgery, the doctor said I had moderately severe arthritis, but told me I should be able to do everything - including running on a treadmill.  The PT told me I just needed to strengthen my knee - and had me doing lunges.  I accepted the ensuing pain (expecting to gain).  After 6 months, I didn't see improvement.  My knee always hurt and was constantly swollen.  So I tried different exercises (primarily elliptical for cardio, and leg extensions for quad strength).  Voila, I am much improved.  I hate to tell anyone not to put complete trust in their doctor and PT, but the reality is that you also need to listen to your body. Experiment, find what works for you. 

drab

« Reply #8 on: 21 Feb 2009, 02:24 pm »
Hmmm, how long did you go easy on your knee?

No work for three weeks(I'm an electrician). Went back to work and immediately tweaked it and missed another week.
After three months I was able to ride a bike. Could jog after about 6 months and started playing tennis after 1 year.
I don't have pain anymore but the knee still feels a little shakey with lateral movement. Just always remember
RICE. Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation. After the swelling is gone add Heat in to the mix.  :thumb:

Mike

kyrill

« Reply #9 on: 25 Feb 2009, 07:44 pm »
del
« Last Edit: 28 Feb 2009, 12:28 pm by kyrill »