Post your favorite iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad Apps here:

Berto

Re: Post your favorite iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad Apps here:
« Reply #20 on: 11 Mar 2011, 11:49 pm »
VLC plays everything, no wonder why it's no longer in the app store. I'm actually surprised FLACPLAYER is still there.

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #21 on: 12 Mar 2011, 01:32 am »
Oh, c'mon people -- not one of you owned up to Angry Birds?  We all know it's your favorite app anyway :lol:

MaxCast

« Reply #22 on: 12 Mar 2011, 04:07 am »
Some of mine (or my son's) are:
Lemonade Tycoon
Forces of War
Angry Birds
Sky Burger
iPeng
Pocket Frogs
TM Zero
Zippo Lighter
App Box Pro
Skee-Ball
Lightsaber
Speller
CBS Sports Football

Wow, more than I expected..... Thats all for now.

Rich - Maxcast

skunark

« Reply #23 on: 12 Mar 2011, 06:49 am »
Oh, c'mon people -- not one of you owned up to Angry Birds?  We all know it's your favorite app anyway :lol:
I have tons of 99cent games... they come and go pretty quick.. Angry Birds was something I played in December.. :) .. I can spend $12/year and kill plenty of idle time.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #24 on: 13 Mar 2011, 03:52 am »
From a topic titled "iphone apps <$1.00" in the late, great Pub Circle now archived...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Many of these likely apply to the iPad...but I wouldn't know...you're on your own there (until I join you potentially with iPad v2)

I've actually yet to pay a single red cent for any app yet...but I'd be willing to pay $0.99 for one that came around.  I'd love to hear your great mostly free apps you've found...and, in turn, will share mine here.

Note that any comments made here are as March 11, 2011 and as all of these apps are subject to revisions, better or worse, don't take them as forever guidance.

NEWS
USA Today - Icons are 'sticky' and require a firm push - be forewarned.

Reuters News Pro - I like the worldwide slant here...from a premier news organization

NPR News - I know many decry 'slanted news' when they see this, but it's a singularly excellent news organization with different perspective to me

YAHOO - A mainstay for me as it has news, finance and sports neatly wrapped in one app

Globe & Mail - Canada's nationwide newspaper for free.  Good stuff here and fresh perspective for me

NewsAusLite - News from all around Australia.  Beats me why I downloaded it - different perspective again.  Can't say I understand one word of the cricket and rugby reports, tho  :)

COMMUNICATION
SKYPE - Seamless transition from laptop to mobile phone with this important service for me.  PC or Mobile Phone to PC (or mobile phone) calls for free....cheap calls worldwide anywhere else.  Video calls now made available in wifi areas from your phone.  Wonderful and used daily.

Free Wi-Fi - A app that finds wifi sites in your area by GPS or zip code entry.  Helpful to find that next Starbucks, etc.

Dragon Dictation - I cannot believe this one is free.  This is the pricey Dragon software that allows you to speak into your phone and it transcribes it into words...which you can then email or sms text..or post to twitter or Facebook if this is your want.  You can make any spelling or grammatical fixes with the handy keyboard they provide.  I don't use a lot, but I'm shocked that this level of innovation is free  :o

Hey Tell - Fabulous - used all the time and all day with my wife and company mates.  It turns your phone into a walkie talkie and allows you to answer emails and texts while driving with voice messages instead of dangerous typing out answers.  A cornerstone I use everyday...you may, too.

BUSINESS / INVESTING (I'm a businessperson and investor so I realize this section may induce yawns for many of you)
Fidelity Investments - My preferred 'bank' for 20 years and a first rate app like the organization itself.  Really well done/ glitch free whether you have an account there or not, but obviously better if you have an account.

Vanguard - Not as useful as Fidelity site, but good perspective from this non-profit investment powerhouse

YAHOO Finance - Well done abridged version of YAHOO's great finance area online.

Bloomberg - Superior source for breaking business news

WSJ Mobile - Wall Street Journal mobile app...good, but annoying that half the articles are subscriber (ie, not free) content.  Still, half the WSJ for free ain't a bad thing  :thumb:

Currency - As it states, a snapshot at currency values across the world and a handy currency calculator, too

Gold Live! - This is KITCO's mobile app....the folks that many rely on for up-to-the-second news and quotes on precious metals, copper, aluminum and crude oil...precious and basic materials that are leading edge indexes of prevailing inflation and deflation worldwide.

TRAVEL / MOBILITY
AutoPilot - If you spend some time in airports...this app is a must.  It tracks every flight across the globe and warns of delays, etc.  Contact website, email and phone numbers for all major airlines and hotels and travel organizations are here, too for reference...as well as links to USA Today weather.  Very handy to have for me.

MapQuest - Free GPS that works nearly as good as the best mobile phone GPS apps that cost $30+.  Mapquest owned by AOL now...so costs are underwritten by them. Yes, spoken street names and all here.  It shows airports, hotels, restaurants, gas stations, etc just like spendy GPS apps and standalones. It lacks things like telling you your average speed...but, that's what a speedometer is for.  Phantastic stuff.

AAA Roadside - Now, AAA can find you via GPS coordinates rather than you describing the type of telephone poles and rocks you are stranded by :wink: Real peace of mind if you are a AAA member (as I have been for 20 years) .

AAA TripTik - Features are sorta' replicated on AAA Roadside...but for non AAA-members, this may be neat to add (in place of of AAA Roadside)

eFax - Not worthwhile if you don't have an account...but as accounts are free if you don't need a fax assigned to you with your area code - why not apply?  Very helpful indeed as this is my fax service and now I can seamlessly access it the world over

TripAdvisor - Hotel review site extraordinaire. 'Nuff said.

The Weather Channel - Greatly preferred over glitchy Weather.com

SugarSync - A great 'cloud' storage service...I can now go away for a nite without my laptop and all my files, now stored in the sky, can be accessed and downloaded if need be.  The service costs $100 yearly and is seamless, but the app is free.

Siri - Find restaurants, movies, events, taxi services and more....using keyboard or oral dictation.  Good stuff here - for free.

SPORTS
Sportacular - by YAHOO!  Let's you find only Sports news on your favorite teams or sports.  Most helpful.

HELPFUL
Google - Actually, much like Google online....an entire suite of neat apps to choose (Google Earth, GMail, Translate, YouTube, etc.

Zillow - Longtime renter looking for the right time to buy.  Great and free.

Redfin - See above

Dictionary - Dictionary and Thesaurus in one.

Convert Units - Every conversion imaginable...angles, areas, data, energy, force, length, mass, power, pressure, speed, temperature, time, and volume.  A cornucopia of helpful conversions to have at all times.  This should be standard issue with the iPhone upon purchase.

Craigslist Pro - Find anything you want on Craigslists in the US and Canada

Yelp - Review site for local areas.  Quite helpful to reference for restaurants, hotels and service providers.  Started here in SF, so database is best here it seems.

CNET - A fine site to find near everything electronic reviewed.

Gazelle - Health storage database offered by Quest Diagnostics (one of the big 2 labs in the US...the other being LabCorp).  A place to put any medications or allergies you have, doctor's info, emergency contact info and all your blood tests can be viewed here that you use Quest for.

Edmunds - Wanna' find out about that car you just saw....all everything is here...for free :)

CarBUZZ - Daily car news.  Can't go without my fix each day :thumb:

SAAB - New news weekly for my favorite brand

Decibels - Yes, a decibel gauge.  Someone here at AC turned me on to it - thank you whoever you are.

PEEL - A TV Guide wherever you go.  Innovative structured I find - tho a bit controversial based on the reviews.  I like it the more I use it.  Hey, it's free anyhow  :)

GAMES (I'm not big into games, I have enough to do without game sin my life, too)
Talking Tom - This is for my 7yo...most of the kids games that she uses are on Mom's iPhone3.  Every so often tho, I like smacking the cat here :o

iBasket - I'm addicted to this...you caught me

Draw for Free - Free doodling pad . Kinda' like etch-a-sketch if you're old enough to remember that  :wink:

ENTERTAINMENT
Pandora - Dang, a friend told me about this service 2 years ago and I glazed my eyes over.  Great stuff and now I stream into my car system with mini jacks accessory inlet it has.  Love it!

iheartradio - FM radio all over the US...homesick? - connect with your favorite stations here

MISCELLANEOUS
Villanova - You wouldn't care unless your an alum, but I like to throw in my alma mater whenever I can work it in (teehee)

John

vinyl_lady

« Reply #25 on: 13 Mar 2011, 05:17 am »
thanks John, those are some great apps. One I use a lot is OpenTable. Enter the time you want to eat and it will find restuarants close to you and have tables available. You can mae a reservation from the app.

Laura

chrisby

« Reply #26 on: 15 Apr 2011, 06:32 pm »
fun (free or $.99 ) audio utilities:

Studio Six Digital:
RTA Lite - Real Time Spectrum Analyzer
SPL Meter - kind reminds one of the old Radio Shack Analog meter (personally, I'd prefer option to display in digital, but what the heck)

Too Loud?

others:

Apple's Remote - not the most powerful, but certainly a no-brainer to use for iTunes only based audio system

iHandy Carpenter -  plumb bob, level, angle finder

wgscott

« Reply #27 on: 18 May 2011, 06:59 am »
Splashtop Remote for the iPad.  It lets you use the iPad as a wireless monitor for (eg) a Mac Mini music server.  It is substantially better than VNC displays, and right now the price has been reduced to $0.99.  I bought it a couple of days ago for $3 (reduced from $10) but I guess they are trying to get it into one of the top 10 categories.  In any case, it is really nice, and lets you do things like use iTunes cover flow to select music to play from your iPad. I'm shocked by how good this is.

chrisby

« Reply #28 on: 4 Sep 2012, 06:13 pm »
resurrect old thread just in time to wait for the iPhone5  :thumb:

kinda cool : Skyview- particularly the overlays of satellites, tumbling rocket boosters and constellations

$2

geowak

« Reply #29 on: 4 Sep 2012, 07:47 pm »
MOG on Iphone. It is changing the way I listen to music.

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #30 on: 4 Sep 2012, 08:18 pm »
IPENG to run my SB Touch .... love it $9.99 and Night Sky about $10 to view stars etc great app. Soundhound for song info and lyrics. Free and it will "listen" to the music you're playing and go find the info

sebrof

« Reply #31 on: 4 Sep 2012, 10:01 pm »
mapquest has free voice guided turn by turn navigation

Crimson

« Reply #32 on: 15 Jan 2013, 02:30 am »
Two recent iPad apps that have been getting a lot of use:

MusicTiles: If you're a Peter Gabriel fan, this is a must have. It lets you remix his songs off the So album via a tiled graphic interface. Easy to use and the possibilities are endless.

Scape: If you're a fan of Brian Eno or ambient music, this is one hell of an app. Using objects and backgrounds, you can create absolutely breathtaking soundscapes.

In both instances, the best effect is achieved if you send the audio to an Apple TV or Airport Express into a nice big stereo system. Really gets you going.

Hungsjca

« Reply #33 on: 5 Aug 2015, 06:22 am »
One of the best players for lossless (flac) files on iPhone/ iPad is FLAC Player+ (free app).  As the default music player can not play FLAC, you can compare it with FLAC Player+ by playing an "original" mp3 file, FLAC Player+ will have more details, not being compressed. Highly recommended for who wants to hear the BEST music on iPhone/ iPad.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/flac-player+/id577346786?mt=8

AllanMarcus

• Head-Fi profile
« Reply #34 on: 25 Jan 2017, 02:37 pm »
CanOpener
http://canopenerapp.com

Crossfeed, equalizer, meter, flag, and more

mcgsxr

« Reply #35 on: 25 Jan 2017, 03:13 pm »
iPeng.