Austin Area BBQ Pics!

Se7en

Austin Area BBQ Pics!
« on: 9 Nov 2008, 12:14 am »
Hey all, I just wanted to throw out a big thank you to everyone who came by for a day of fun. It was great to meet some of the locals and listen to some good tunes. I'd also like to extend a special thank you to Danny and GR for lending us the Neo 2X monitors (we'll post some feedback later) and Brian (Rythmik) for taking the time to bring by the wonderful GRl subs and spending time to set them up everytime we decided to change speakers.

Anyway, I should have taken more pics than I did (too busy stuffing my face or jam'n out).

Thanks again!

-Gabriel

(Editied to relink pics)

« Last Edit: 23 Nov 2008, 04:56 pm by Se7en »

Brad

Re: Austin Area BBQ Pics!
« Reply #1 on: 9 Nov 2008, 12:24 am »
It was a perfect day here in TX. :D
Looks like you had a blast with that assortment of nice gear.

Cheers

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #2 on: 9 Nov 2008, 12:39 am »
I had a great time meeting everyone and some good tunes throughout the day. The Accuton OBs and OB7s sounded great and the VMPS was dialed in to perfection in that big room. Us Texas guys had some fun!

Nick77

« Reply #3 on: 9 Nov 2008, 01:10 am »
Gabe what a great afternoon thanks again for hosting. Enjoyed your home and all the food and fellowship. And a great selection of gear made it a most enjoyable day. The Neo2x with Servo subs were a small price to pay for some high end audio. The ob's were very impressive and enjoyed your VMPS and Tact gear as well. Thanks again.

Wardsweb

« Reply #4 on: 9 Nov 2008, 01:11 am »
Sorry I missed, but I had to get some furniture and my 55 Chevy moved to the new house. Although I do have a friend coming over tomorrow for some audio gear swapping. Hopefully I will make the next one.

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #5 on: 9 Nov 2008, 02:20 am »
Ive got to say the Servo subs were very good! Very flexible and musical. I guess i will have to buy some of those too.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #6 on: 9 Nov 2008, 04:00 am »
Thanks to both host and hostess for the hospitality. Definitely worth the drive to meet the fellow Circle members and listen to some tunes.  The Neo2 w/ subs were an excellent combo- as were the ribs and cabernet sauvignon :thumb:

Se7en

« Reply #7 on: 9 Nov 2008, 04:20 am »
Thanks to both host and hostess for the hospitality. Definitely worth the drive to meet the fellow Circle members and listen to some tunes.  The Neo2 w/ subs were an excellent combo- as were the ribs and cabernet sauvignon :thumb:

We're glad you made it home safely and thank you for driving all that way for our little Q. It was great meeting you and will have to make it your way to check out your 9s.  8)

Agreed on the Neo2s. They sounded great without the subs but things "really" snapped together once the subs came on.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #8 on: 9 Nov 2008, 05:06 am »
Looks like it was a very nice day in Texas...... 8)

Its also good to read about another group gathering...their fun...keep it going !! :wink:

Good luck........ :beer:

Chris

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #9 on: 9 Nov 2008, 07:03 am »

Boy that bottle of Crown Royal sure brings back long ago memories of my 1 gallon a week "hobby". aa You Texas boys sure know how to do it up right. Thanks for sharing. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Se7en

« Reply #10 on: 9 Nov 2008, 04:42 pm »
I'd like to add that it was "really" good to get feedback from other members.

I've been listening and tuning my system in almost pure isolation for more years than not (I suppose it's just the nature of this sport).

With this in mind, I think that it is also safe to say that my system or my "sound" had become a product of my own environment. I became too comfortable hearing this particular sound and to some extent lost the ability to self direct or inspire myself beyond that comfort zone. Living in San Francisco or any apartment or house with shared walls can have a major impact on your system and your listening preferences. Over the years I became very accustomed to tuning the lower ranges of my system to be what somewhat non-offensive to both my SO and my neighbors. This also allowed me to kind of develop a tunnel vision, tuning towards bass articulation and perhaps losing sight of the emotion that the lower octaves can bring to music. I can't even tell you how many years I've been going down this particular path.

So, sure enough, the first time I play my system for other people their general response is that the sound is "lean" and for some presenting too much detail or granularity, perhaps too polite. Through the simple process of just hearing people describe what they were hearing (more importantly what they weren't hearing) or how the system took them out of their own comfort zone, I gained an enormous amount of insight. Please keep in mind I'm not saying that I shouldn't or don't trust my own ears, but I am saying that I probably mentally imposed a number of limitations on my system due to my pursuit of trying satisfy only one particular aspect of the sound. When it came to bass it was largely a subtractive affair in search of "ultimate integration" and articulation.

Well, after yesterday the gains are up and I'm learning a lot about how much the room can take (as well as my SO and the neighbors). The music is explosive holographic and musical, the systems detail and speed is not lost but I'm learning a great deal about the character and limitations of the room. It should also be noted that Brian accidentally left behind one of the the GR servos for my perusal (thanks Brian!)  8)

Anyway I'll stop with the rant, but I cannot overstate how important it was to get input from others. Thanks again everyone! 

jimdgoulding

« Reply #11 on: 9 Nov 2008, 05:02 pm »
Hope you can be encouraged to do this again.  I had to lame out due to some unexpected company that needed to stay over and everything looks so becoming in the photos.  Thanks for the invite.  Hope your lady had fun, too. 

Se7en

« Reply #12 on: 9 Nov 2008, 05:19 pm »
Hope you can be encouraged to do this again.  I had to lame out due to some unexpected company that needed to stay over and everything looks so becoming in the photos.  Thanks for the invite.  Hope your lady had fun, too. 

We will. Hopefully this is the beginning and not the end. Also you're welcome anytime and I don't think that we need to have a big formal event to host some GTGs.

Rachel had fun. She is a patient and merciful but nothing is "free".  :notworthy:  :o

S Clark

« Reply #13 on: 9 Nov 2008, 08:56 pm »
After hearing Diana Krall's  "Temptation" approx. 500 time Sat. I would have thought that I had my fill for a while.  Couldn't resist- found my copy to do a bit of comparison.  Changing out amps, trying for a bit of sonic memory from yesterday, playing it over and over and over.  Who brought that damned copy?  Nick, are you the one responsible??? 

Nick77

« Reply #14 on: 9 Nov 2008, 09:02 pm »
After hearing Diana Krall's  "Temptation" approx. 500 time Sat. I would have thought that I had my fill for a while.  Couldn't resist- found my copy to do a bit of comparison.  Changing out amps, trying for a bit of sonic memory from yesterday, playing it over and over and over.  Who brought that damned copy?  Nick, are you the one responsible??? 

Ya ya ya that was me, but it does help with sonic memory.  :green:

S Clark

« Reply #15 on: 9 Nov 2008, 09:10 pm »
Yeah, but it feels a bit like the old Bill Murray movie "Groundhog Day".  Today I must have played it another 25 times-- Oh well, the wife gets home in about 2 hours and will quickly put a stop to this nonsense.  That means I can play it approximately another 25 time...... hmmmm. Got to go. :thumb:

audio_builder

« Reply #16 on: 9 Nov 2008, 10:20 pm »
Hello Gabriel.  Thank you and your fiancé for hosting the meet.  I am sorry I had to leave early.  It looks like I missed out on some great food. 

gitarretyp

« Reply #17 on: 11 Nov 2008, 06:38 am »
Just wanted to say thanks for hosting a really nice get together; the food and equipment were excellent. I hope more such Austin area meetings happen in the coming months.