Austin Area BBQ?

pbrstreetgang

Re: Austin Area BBQ?
« Reply #60 on: 28 Oct 2008, 04:36 pm »
Hi just to confirm whats the date and time?

Se7en

« Reply #61 on: 28 Oct 2008, 06:06 pm »
Hi just to confirm whats the date and time?

November 8th, I was thinking about 11am as a start time.

I will post a new thread in the next day or so with all of the details on the top page.

-Gabe

rythmik

• Industry Participant
    • Rythmik Audio
« Reply #62 on: 30 Oct 2008, 02:17 am »
I got this information from Keith. I can bring Danny's servo sub with me. 

Se7en

« Reply #63 on: 30 Oct 2008, 02:56 am »
I got this information from Keith. I can bring Danny's servo sub with me. 

Absolutely! I'm glad you're going to be able to make it. I wanted to pick your brain about my system anyway (since before moving to Austin in fact) :thumb:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #64 on: 4 Nov 2008, 04:03 pm »
"Hold on, I'm coming!" Sam and Dave.  Look forward to meeting all of you.

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #65 on: 4 Nov 2008, 05:05 pm »
I can come from 11-3. I am excited!

jmpiwonka

« Reply #66 on: 4 Nov 2008, 05:34 pm »
i've got something to do at 10:30 or so, not sure how long it will take..so i might be able to make it out. can't make any promises though.

i'd love to get a bike ride out there but i'm almost positive there will be no time for that.
if i can make it in the car i could maybe bring a set of selah audio 3-way monitors if anyone wants to hear them...

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #67 on: 4 Nov 2008, 06:25 pm »
I have had the Neo-2X's that have been out on demo tour sent your way. You guys should have them there just before your get together.

They should match really well with the servo sub that Brian is bringing.

Have fun.

FredT300B

• Facilitator
« Reply #68 on: 5 Nov 2008, 10:59 am »
I was going to suggest that you have enough serious audiophiles in the Austin area to form an Austin Audio Club. All you need to accomplish at the BBQ to start this idea rolling is to find a volunteer to serve as leader for one year. I have a schedule conflict on the 8th and won't be there, but I'm in Austin at least one weekend a month and would be willing to help.

soliver

« Reply #69 on: 5 Nov 2008, 02:39 pm »
Been there done that, on the Austin Audio Club, as well as a Home Theater Club.

Home Theater was very hot at the start of the millennium and we had quite a few good meets.  Home Theater matured and a lot of the members built their system's up to a point that made them contempt, thus the club cooled.  Today a few of us who made friends through the club get together every once in a while for HT related stuff or just to drink and play some poker.  I have a database that has contact info for over 40 people from this club.

My interests over the years moved well away from HT and into high end audio.  In 2004, I started an Austin Audio Club.  And for 2 1/2 years we had some really good meets.  The problem that arose however was a lack of people willing to open their homes to a large group.  I hosted 4, another guy hosted 4, and I recruited Ne Plus Ultra to host one.  My database for this club grew to 30 people with a wide range of system styles and price ranges, but again the club cooled due to no one else stepping up to host.  So it has been about 2 years since we met as a large group, although again friendships formed and we have made many smaller meetings.  And for these smaller meetings we have a few more people willing to host.

Then of course there is the Bottlehead group out there, as well as a pretty strong presence on the Klipsch forum, and each of those groups have held a few meetings here and there over the years in Austin.  Most of the attendees for these meets are different people than my 30 on the Austin Audio club database.

So just throwing out the history here, since you brought it up Fred. 

I can also say the current economic climate has also had a cooling effect on many audiophiles I know.  Just a bit less focus on the music and their system these days.

Wish I could make it this weekend to discuss this more, but it's not to be.

Later.

FredT300B

• Facilitator
« Reply #70 on: 5 Nov 2008, 11:51 pm »
Been there done that, on the Austin Audio Club, as well as a Home Theater Club.

I had no idea there had ever been an Austin Audio Club. Sorry to hear it's been hard to keep it together, but I'm not surprised. Several conditions are helpful for an audio club to succeed:

1) A designated leader or leaders
2) Regularly scheduled monthly meetings
3) A designated meeting place (church choir rooms are great, and you can rent one for about $25 per meeting)
4) A stated focus - high end or diy, but not both
5) A web page (Yahoo Groups works well for this) for easy communication about club events

If any of these are missing the club may flourish for a while, but eventually its momentum will die. This seems to be what's happening with the Lone Star Bottleheads. We had four people at last Saturday's meeting. In contrast, the Houston Audio Society contiunes to attract 15-25 people to each meeting, and we had about a dozen at the RMAF.

Se7en

« Reply #71 on: 7 Nov 2008, 07:07 pm »
Confirmation Notice.

We're still on for tomorrow!

Delacroix

« Reply #72 on: 9 Nov 2008, 01:23 am »
Gabe

thanks so much for hosting the event. I had a great time meeting you all and your lovely wife Rachel showed amazing tolerance and generosity. Yes, the house is stunning but the real fun was the company and the enthusiasm of the group. Far too much gear to hear (I even left mine in the car!) so we clearly need to do it again soon. I hope someone has pics.....

Best

A.

Se7en

« Reply #73 on: 9 Nov 2008, 02:07 am »
Andrew,

It was our pleasure and thank you for coming. I was excited to hear that you're hosting the next event so we can all hear your 5SEs  8) J/K

Also check this thread for what few pics I did take.  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=61428.msg549621

Let's do this again!
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2008, 03:52 pm by Se7en »

PMC

« Reply #74 on: 29 Nov 2014, 11:44 am »
I'm one of the founders of Austin Audio Club but it has gone stale, if any wants to take it up and spearhead a new movement by all means go for it and keep me informed I will like to get back into it as well.

Nick77

« Reply #75 on: 29 Nov 2014, 12:21 pm »
This was a most memorable event, I am also interested in staying abreast of any activity.

starman

« Reply #76 on: 8 Jan 2015, 09:54 am »
This was a most memorable event, I am also interested in staying abreast of any activity.
Same here, I'd also be very interested in another meetup.

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #78 on: 8 Jan 2015, 02:38 pm »
I would be interested as well, have friends in Dripping Springs could kill two birds with one stone.    :thumb:

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #79 on: 8 Jan 2015, 03:08 pm »
Better Yet!  Just noticed this one is in Denton.