Shostakovich

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Shostakovich
« Reply #40 on: 23 Jun 2011, 09:10 pm »
In the 70 years I had this gem in full size LP cover, this soundtrack open my ears to Shostakovich music.
Also it is important note this LP released Previn as a great composer of Funk music, not joke, just listen tracks 4 & 8.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rollerball/dp/B001PA0A40/ref=dm_cd_album_lnk_alt?ie=UTF8

> Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a cat or dog from the street. On the streets pets live only two years average.

Randy

« Reply #41 on: 24 Jun 2011, 10:53 pm »
Three albums of Shostakovich most everyone should enjoy are the Jazz, Dance, and Film albums. Link below.

http://www.amazon.com/Shostakovich-Film-Album-Dmitry/dp/B00000I08B/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1308955565&sr=1-1

jimdgoulding

« Reply #42 on: 26 Jun 2011, 05:49 pm »
I listened to his Fifth last night on Melodiya with the USSR Sym conducted by his son.  Love it.

Geardaddy

« Reply #43 on: 27 Jun 2011, 10:31 am »
Thanks for the data Tyson.  I own the Emerson Q. recording and enjoy that.  I will have to grab the others you mentioned.... :thumb:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #44 on: 27 Jun 2011, 11:58 am »
Ted_b and interested listeners, include the Melodiya recording of his Tenth, too.  Passionate stuff and tremendous orchestral sound.  Cheers

katzer

« Reply #45 on: 29 Jun 2011, 06:35 am »
Ted_b and interested listeners, include the Melodiya recording of his Tenth, too.  Passionate stuff and tremendous orchestral sound.  Cheers
I will try to pick up that one.
For the 10th, I found Solti with CSO quite remarkable. There is a DVD version with Solti and the Bavarian Rudfunk which is incredible.
It comes and goes on ebay and amazon. I picked it up on ebay twice, both were Asian cuts. One bundled with Mendellsohn's 4th, the sound and picture were not good. The second time, it was with the 9th - that time the sound and picture were great.

Cheers,

Erez