Worthwhile x-over mod?

markC

Worthwhile x-over mod?
« on: 10 Oct 2003, 02:00 am »
I've been toying with the idea of trying to get a little more out of my Soliloquy 5.3's. Since I'm on an audio spending diet, new speaks are out of the question, and so are DIY's. My thoughts are to replace the existing air coil inductors in the low pass, (leaving the existing shunt to ground cap), with Alpha foil , and replace the existing caps in the high pass with Sonicaps, (leaving the existing air coil shunt to ground). I'd also swap out the resistors to mills. I have means to measure all of the existing components so that the correct values can be used. What do you think?

_scotty_

Re: Worthwhile x-over mod?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2003, 04:42 am »
Quote from: markC
I've been toying with the idea of trying to get a little more out of my Soliloquy 5.3's. Since I'm on an audio spending diet, new speaks are out of the question, and so are DIY's. My thoughts are to replace the existing air coil inductors in the low pass, (leaving the existing shunt to ground cap), with Alpha foil , and replace the existing caps in the high pass with Sonicaps, (leaving the existing air coil shunt to ground). I'd also swap out the resistors to mills. I have means to measure all of the existing components so that the correct values can be used. What do you think?

I don't think the idea's bad but the sound that you are used to will be changed by the mods. You may or may not like the results. Be sure to save the old parts. Check the thread on DIY cables.http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=4370

markC

Worthwhile x-over mod?
« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2003, 11:11 pm »
Well, the mod is done now and the jury is still out on this. The sound definately changed. The mod consisisted of changing out all the existing caps,(which I think are Dayton Audio by appearance alone), and 1 of the 3 resistors per side. I left all of the inductors alone. I went with Sonicaps and mills resistors, which I purchaced from GR Research, (Danny is great to deal with BTW).  Initial impression was a more intiment presentation definetly more sparkle in the highs. But as time goes on, (not that much, I've only got about 15 hrs. in so far), I'm finding that the tweeter is too bright. I'm hoping that this will settle down after some more run in time. Way more detail in things like wisk on cymbals, but tends to be a bit more irritating in the 3-7Khz area, (I'm guessing here). So, I shall leave things alone until after 75 hrs. or so, and if things are still too bright, I may tube roll in my CDP to a tube with a little less high end end extension or....?

JohnR

Worthwhile x-over mod?
« Reply #3 on: 26 Oct 2003, 11:09 pm »
Interesting, please keep us updated.

I found that alphacores improved the mids, when I tried it. If the DCR of the coils is lower than what you have you may get slightly more and slightly tighter bass as well... altho I'd say it will be pretty hard to pick, the mids were the surprise for me.

You should be able to tweak the resistor on the tweeter slightly if it doesn't settle down after a while. As you suggest it may also be that your electronics need some attention now (I know it's a cliche but there's truth in it... :-) )

markC

Worthwhile x-over mod?
« Reply #4 on: 28 Oct 2003, 03:19 am »
I will probably go after the inductors after I've spent a good amount of time with the current set-up. Esspecially if more run in time improves things. The stock coils are 14 awg air core, so I figured that they couldn't be that bad, also they're a lot tougher to get at than the caps, (the x-overs are glued and stapled down). But I'm starting to feel like I'm chasing my tail.

Jay S

Worthwhile x-over mod?
« Reply #5 on: 28 Oct 2003, 03:22 am »
Mark,

Do let us know what your speakers sound like after 100 hours.  I suggest you don't change anything in your system until you have at least 500 hours on your new XO parts.  

I've been considering Soniccaps and Mills resistors for my speakers as well.

markC

Worthwhile x-over mod?
« Reply #6 on: 29 Oct 2003, 02:59 am »
It will be a while, as I'm not running the system for the sake of breaking in the caps, but I'll post updates as it goes. First update- after about 25 hrs. they're starting to settle a little, but the main thing is the instrument placement within the soundstage-becomming very  precise.

shelby66

« Reply #7 on: 31 Oct 2017, 12:16 am »

MarkC, can you please post a schematic or your crossover parts values of L1, C1 and R1 for both the low and hi pass?   I have a pair of 5.3's that the inductors have unwound from the spool after it separated and one of my resistors is broke on the low pass side.   

shelby66

« Reply #8 on: 31 Oct 2017, 05:18 pm »
Can someone message MarkC for me...thanks

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #9 on: 1 Nov 2017, 01:51 pm »
MarkC has not visited the forum in three years. That is a 14 year old project. All the details may be lost to history.

shelby66

« Reply #10 on: 2 Nov 2017, 09:25 pm »
Ok thanks speed