You can download the test tones here.

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Re: RealTraps Graphs & Measurements
« Reply #1 on: 4 Aug 2008, 03:14 pm »
Folks,

This is directly related to the RealTraps Test Tone CD.

People often ask which affordable microphones I recommend for measuring their room. To answer this question I tested ten popular microphones ranging from an inexpensive DIY model to a Josephson with Microtech Gefell capsule costing $1,800, and wrote up the results for this article: Comparison of Ten Measuring Microphones. Enjoy!

--Ethan

dyohn

• the12volt.com
« Reply #2 on: 4 Aug 2008, 04:03 pm »
Ethan!  Good to hear from you.

Thank you for your comparison test.  I use and recommend the Behringer 8000 as the best price/performance calibration mic, but it was based mostly on my usage experience.  I appreciate your test results that appear to validate my subjective opinion.  :)

David Yohn

srlaudio

• Industry Participant
    • SRL Acoustics
« Reply #3 on: 15 Sep 2009, 03:29 am »
Nice looking graphs, however all the mics seem to be very close to each other.  Does that mean if we actually plugged them in and listened to them they would all sound the same?
« Last Edit: 15 Sep 2009, 02:02 pm by srlaudio »

bmckenney

« Reply #4 on: 22 Oct 2009, 01:26 pm »
The links to the graphs in the first post of this thread seem to be broken now.  At least they are thru my browser.  Have the PDF files been deleted or something?

machinehead

« Reply #5 on: 17 Feb 2010, 04:33 pm »
The links are all broken

Jack Caldwell

Calibrated MIC
« Reply #6 on: 2 Mar 2011, 03:32 am »
Hey, All! Some good news...

There is a CALIBRATED Mic that is very close, if not identical to the Behringer or Nady. It comes with a real calibration file!

It is the Dayton Audio EMM-6 Electret Measurement Microphone. From Parts-Express.  It's only $48 and that cal file is really handy. When used with Fuzzmeasure 3 on a Mac and an inexpensive ART USB powered mic preamp, you insert the cal file in the measurements and it subtracts out to perfectly flat from 20Hz to 20KHz.

How's THAT for an inexpensive yet effective measuring system? Thank you PE and Dayton!

I use it daily with my speaker systems, both for production and R&D. You can see what we're up to at holisticaudio.com

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Calibrated MIC
« Reply #7 on: 3 Mar 2011, 01:43 am »
There is a CALIBRATED Mic that is very close, if not identical to the Behringer or Nady. It comes with a real calibration file!
Interesting. That seems to be a pretty good deal, my interest is definitely piqued.
Thanks Jack!

Bob

BYUCougar

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jan 2020, 01:17 am »
Great info.  Very helpful for me as I build out my dedicated HT!