Super Tower R's >SE's

K-mart

Super Tower R's >SE's
« on: 4 Mar 2018, 09:52 pm »
I have been a proud owner of a pair of Super Tower R's since 1995. Upgraded the PR's a couple years ago thanks to the fine folks here which allowed me to enjoy them even more. I recently had the opportunity to "upgrade" to a pair of the ST- SE's in near perfect condition and jumped at the chance. Now that I have the SE's up and running I'm somewhat underwhelmed with their performance.
 How can this be?
Am I so used to my beloved ST-r's that nothing else will do? I doubt it, but the SE's just seem to be lacking.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Super Tower R's >SE's
« Reply #1 on: 4 Mar 2018, 10:02 pm »
Any listening fatigue?
« Last Edit: 4 Mar 2018, 11:30 pm by FullRangeMan »

K-mart

« Reply #2 on: 4 Mar 2018, 10:06 pm »
Perhaps my expectations are too high for the SE's. I did install the upgrade PR's in them earlier this morning maybe I need some time to get used to them.

Evoke

• Industry Participant
    • EVOKE Planar Loudspeakers
« Reply #3 on: 5 Mar 2018, 12:05 am »
I have been a proud owner of a pair of Super Tower R's since 1995. Upgraded the PR's a couple years ago thanks to the fine folks here which allowed me to enjoy them even more. I recently had the opportunity to "upgrade" to a pair of the ST- SE's in near perfect condition and jumped at the chance. Now that I have the SE's up and running I'm somewhat underwhelmed with their performance.
 How can this be?
Am I so used to my beloved ST-r's that nothing else will do? I doubt it, but the SE's just seem to be lacking.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

I think the biggest differentiation is the number of drivers. From my experience, that allows each driver to share in output so distortion and fatigue are lower. Also, you're moving a lot more air with all the woofers. It most likely had a larger presentation with the R. To get the best out of either speaker, use a great amp with excellent damping. I run a NuPrime K38 in 400 watt mode. Makes a 2 way mini monitor sound great as well as a tower.

If you still have issues - I would suggest upgrading the capacitors in the crossover.

K-mart

« Reply #4 on: 5 Mar 2018, 12:18 am »
Thanks for the suggestions guys!
My power amp is an Mc 352. 99% of my listening is vinyl perhaps the SE's are just less compatible with my cart/TT etc?
I'll give them some time to settle in hopefully it will get better or I'll have to bring the R's back upstairs.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 5 Mar 2018, 12:51 am »
Perhaps my expectations are too high for the SE's. I did install the upgrade PR's in them earlier this morning maybe I need some time to get used to them.
A PR driver suspension takes a longer time to breakin than a regular woofer.

K-mart

« Reply #6 on: 5 Mar 2018, 01:46 am »
I have been running the upgrade PR's in my ST- R's previously and just swapped them with originals that were in the SE's, figuring they would possibly make the difference, but no.
There was a lot more of the batting insulation within the cabinets of the SE's than are in my Super Towers too I removed some of the extra while doing the PR switch thinking that might help as well.
I was expecting a much higher level of performance out of the SE's, it's frustrating.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 5 Mar 2018, 01:54 am »
I have been running the upgrade PR's in my ST- R's previously and just swapped them with originals that were in the SE's, figuring they would possibly make the difference, but no.
There was a lot more of the batting insulation within the cabinets of the SE's than are in my Super Towers too I removed some of the extra while doing the PR switch thinking that might help as well.
I was expecting a much higher level of performance out of the SE's, it's frustrating.
You should not have taken out the stuffing, the acoustic muffling was voiced to perform a such balance to the sound.

Tom OD

« Reply #8 on: 11 May 2018, 08:43 am »
Hello new owner give the se a little time to break in.You will be amazed at the sound of them.