Ever Rediscovered Just How Great Your Speakers Are? SAM 1s Are Back!

neekomax

After moving back to NY from a few years in LA, I recently started getting back into home audio. Unfortunately, one of my Soundfield Audio Monitor 1s had no sound coming from the tweeter, something I discovered while still in LA, but hadn't addressed.

I suspected driver failure, but hoped it was just a loose wire. Step one was to purchase a heavily discounted pair of KEF Q100s, which I did this past Fall. This gave me a nice inexpensive temporary set of speakers, and would provide me with a replacement Uni-Q in case the problem was the drive unit itself in the SAMs.

After enjoying the Q100s for a few months, augmented by various sub array arrangements, I decided it was time to resurrect the SAMs. The Q100s are nice, and actually I kind of got used to the sound, but I was always fiddling with stuff like DSP, placement, crossover points, amps, etc, and I see now that it was because they weren't really giving me big, balanced, smooth, and dynamic experience I crave when I sit in front of my hifi.

I got in touch with AJ, who built the SAMs. After years of not talking, he received my call in a friendly, laid back manner. We chatted for a while about speaker stuff in general, and then I told him about what I was calling for, which was tech support on fixing the one speaker. I said the tweeter wasn't making sound, but that I had a spare Uni-Q (two in fact), in case a swap was to be needed.

Long story short, it was a driver failure, I successfully swapped out the bad one for the newer one, and got them playing that night. Had a couple issues getting the baffle off, and then making sure the wiring was correct, but in the end, it turned out fine, with the SAMs taking their rightful place in my living room.

It was a revelation. I had really forgotten just how totally bad-ass these speakers are. They're so smooth and full at such a wide variety of volumes... loud is awesome, louder is awesome, and even quiet is pretty awesome. They blow the Q100s away, (AJ was like, 'duh, of course they do' when I expressed my astonishment at this) which is funny since they share a good deal of tech. But the box design (sealed, braced) and the integrated 8" subwoofer that plays to around 200 hz, freeing up the midrange of its lower register, and... whatever else, not even sure... makes for an ENTIRELY different listening experience. Plus they look cool, I think  8)

Anyhoo, just wanted to share my joy at having my system back, and the feeling of rediscovery of great sound. Special thanks to AJ for being pretty cool and very helpful in all our dealings. And for designing amazing transducers. Cheers, as he would say. 

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Nico,

I’m with AJ, “Duh, of course it sounds better.”

You can’t beat a properly designed constant directivity loudspeaker imho.

Enjoy,
Anand.

neekomax

Nico,

I’m with AJ, “Duh, of course it sounds better.”

You can’t beat a properly designed constant directivity loudspeaker imho.

Enjoy,
Anand.

Ha, yeah, seems totally obvious now, but it's funny how you can adjust to not-as-good sound and forget what better sounds like. I guess I'd also underestimated how much the overall design, not just the coax drive unit, makes for the superior in-room response.

xsb7244

When will the newer improved version of the M1 come out?

neekomax

When will the newer improved version of the M1 come out?

IIRC, AJ told me that he's waiting for the newer Hypex plate amps to be available, and I think he may working out some other parts sourcing details. But he could speak more officially about all that, obviously. Drop him a line if you're interested, maybe. 

Cacophonix

Yeh, i got the same answer when i pinged him a short while back. Hypex plate amps seemed to be the bottle neck right now. Great speakers! Really looking forward to the new and improved version of these.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Ha, yeah, seems totally obvious now, but it's funny how you can adjust to not-as-good sound and forget what better sounds like. I guess I'd also underestimated how much the overall design, not just the coax drive unit, makes for the superior in-room response.

You could adjust, but you always knew something was wrong or not as good as it could be. So you end up in the  Circle of confusion or Audio Tarot.

Like my car. A lot sounds good in it, but it’s impossible for me to discern the fine details to extract extreme enjoyment. There is a difference. My home system can do that in spades.

Read Floyd Toole’s Sound Reproduction (3rd edition), it is highly enlightening. You’ll soon come to realize that a lot of high end audio is just a big fake!

AJ is at least one of the good ones...and appreciates good scientific research. There is nothing wrong with asking scientific proof imho.

Enjoy,
Anand.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
I remember hearing AJ's speaker when it was still a frankenspeaker, plate amp lying on the floor, lamp chord speaker wire hooking everything up.  Dynamic and tuneful, a full range speaker in a bookshelf format, it was amazing to hear that out of such a relatively small sized unit, compared to floorstanders usually needed for that level of deep bass and dynamics anyway.  A shame KEF cut the chord on supplying the Uni-Q driver.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
When I heard the SAM1 at the LSAF several years back, I simply didn't need another set of speakers... and I've been kicking myself ever since.  Should have bought a pair.  AJ made something special with those. 

chrshanl

Great speakers indeed I certainly enjoyed mine when I owned them.