The Swiss Army Knife Speaker

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
The Swiss Army Knife Speaker
« on: 29 Dec 2017, 01:57 am »
Desktop, nearfield monitor, cast to, satellite.

restrav

Re: The Swiss Army Knife Speaker
« Reply #1 on: 29 Dec 2017, 02:06 am »
Is it your design?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #2 on: 29 Dec 2017, 02:10 am »
Is it your design?

Absolutely.

restrav

« Reply #3 on: 29 Dec 2017, 02:19 am »
Cool.it looks to me like it is an active design, right? So just fed it like level signal?   What is that price point? Is it available only pre built of also as a kit?

If you are looking for a name for them I'd suggest: the gremlin

Doublej

« Reply #4 on: 29 Dec 2017, 02:33 am »
Looks like a mini me version of Don Keele's CBT Loudspeaker Arrays.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #5 on: 29 Dec 2017, 02:34 am »
Cool.it looks to me like it is an active design, right? So just fed it like level signal?   What is that price point? Is it available only pre built of also as a kit?

If you are looking for a name for them I'd suggest: the gremlin

Yes, fully-active 2-way with RCA, balanced XLR, and digital inputs. I've set it up for use with Google's Chromecast Audio (analog or digital) with excellent results. No kit will be available as the cabinet design is based on complex CNC fabrication. $2,500/pair including shipping (USA mainland).

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #6 on: 29 Dec 2017, 03:09 am »
Looks like a mini me version of Don Keele's CBT Loudspeaker Arrays.

It is, in fact, Don will receive licensing fees for all sales.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #7 on: 29 Dec 2017, 03:26 am »
Yes, fully-active 2-way with RCA, balanced XLR, and digital inputs. I've set it up for use with Google's Chromecast Audio (analog or digital) with excellent results. No kit will be available as the cabinet design is based on complex CNC fabrication. $2,500/pair including shipping (USA mainland).

Rick,

I'm assuming I'd want a DAC between my Mac Mini and a pair of these speakers, correct?

How does a pair of these differ sonically (to a listener's ears) from a pair of two-way boxes? (assuming they're set up as computer speakers)

Dimensions, frequency range, etc.  :thumb:

srb

« Reply #8 on: 29 Dec 2017, 04:43 am »
I'm seeing a pattern on initial posts.  Maybe you're trying to be mysterious and post no information to elicit questions, but I'm not sure that's working as well as you might think.  You're not Secret Agent X9, I think it would be better in the initial post to just describe the new speaker, what it can do and the cost.  I think in the long run you'll get a better response.

Steve

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #9 on: 29 Dec 2017, 05:09 am »
Rick,

I'm assuming I'd want a DAC between my Mac Mini and a pair of these speakers, correct?

How does a pair of these differ sonically (to a listener's ears) from a pair of two-way boxes? (assuming they're set up as computer speakers)

Dimensions, frequency range, etc.  :thumb:

It's a DSP amp so there are different ways to connect depending on your source(s). The digital input is AES/EBU which many DACs may not support. There are converters though (if you wish to go digital all the way to the amp); in fact, I have one that will convert Toslink optical to AES/EBU. There are also apps for using a mobile device as a remote; however, since this is a network-style amp in order to use them on wi-fi you must use an ethernet connection.

For a desktop I wanted smooth vertical coverage over an angle wider than a typical 2-way. The design also works with the groundplane (desk) instead of against it like a conventional speaker would. The DSP is also flexible to support different voicings, EQ for bass extension, and adjusting for placement other than a desktop (such as on a stand in a 2-channel system or nearfield listening ).

14.5" (H) x 6 3/8" (W) x 9" (D).  The frequency range will depend on the application and desired output capability. With the DSP software I can make the response very flat and also voice the system for specific preferences.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #10 on: 29 Dec 2017, 06:32 am »
I'm seeing a pattern on initial posts.  Maybe you're trying to be mysterious and post no information to elicit questions, but I'm not sure that's working as well as you might think.  You're not Secret Agent X9, I think it would be better in the initial post to just describe the new speaker, what it can do and the cost.  I think in the long run you'll get a better response.

Steve

I appreciate your input. Sometimes the initial posts are made when I don't have time to get into the full details. People respond in different ways and you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #11 on: 29 Dec 2017, 06:40 am »
Steve,

For me, it's something of a game (or dance). Rick posts a teaser, so I get to comment on the visual and ask for specs. No harm done.

Michael

Doublej

« Reply #12 on: 29 Dec 2017, 09:02 pm »
Seems like it is only a step away from room correction. Then one could have a speaker that is tuned for the listener's position and setup. For example at the moment I have a laptop between by desktop speakers...

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #13 on: 31 Dec 2017, 01:43 am »
Seems like it is only a step away from room correction. Then one could have a speaker that is tuned for the listener's position and setup. For example at the moment I have a laptop between by desktop speakers...

Similar to room correction but more flexible since the bass can be changed for location and a high pass crossover added.

dziemian

« Reply #14 on: 21 Jun 2018, 12:29 pm »
Are there any measurements available?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #15 on: 21 Jun 2018, 08:46 pm »
Are there any measurements available?

Yes. Feel free to email me for them.

rick@selahaudio.com

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #16 on: 21 Jun 2018, 11:08 pm »
And let me ask this:  That's $2500 for 1 speaker?  Just a guess as there is only 1 in the picture :scratch:

Alan

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #17 on: 21 Jun 2018, 11:12 pm »
And let me ask this:  That's $2500 for 1 speaker?  Just a guess as there is only 1 in the picture :scratch:

Alan

Best,
Anand.

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #18 on: 22 Jun 2018, 12:48 am »
Best,
Anand.
And I really thought I read all the posts.  Thanks