RCA (SPDIF) digital out to USB digital in?

fado

RCA (SPDIF) digital out to USB digital in?
« on: 20 Dec 2017, 07:04 am »
My DAC has two digital inputs, one BNC(SPDIF) and one USB, both are 192/24. I connect the DAC BNC input to the BNC output of my Bryston BDP-1 which I use ~90% of the time. I have an Ayon CD-07s CD player which I would also like to play through my external DAC . The Ayon has one digital output which is an RCA(SPDIF). I do not want to change cables everytime I use the CD player.

1. Is there any way to connect the Ayon SPDIF digital out to the external DAC's USB in??
2. I do have an old USB to SPDIF converter - can that be turned around so it will fuction as a SPDIF to USB converter?

randytsuch

Re: RCA (SPDIF) digital out to USB digital in?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Dec 2017, 02:15 pm »
In a word no to both questions.
Usb is very different and converter is one way only

audio.bill

« Reply #2 on: 21 Dec 2017, 01:34 am »
The only one I can find that will convert RCA SPDIF to USB is the Mutec MC-1.2 but I realize it's probably not priced as low as you'd like! https://www.odysseyprosound.com/hardware/mutec-mc-1.2/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjM28x_iZ2AIVUV5-Ch3GjgRVEAkYASABEgKluPD_BwE

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 21 Dec 2017, 01:54 am »
Why not use both connections (BNC/SPDIF and USB) at the same time? Make a simple switch box with 2 outlets and a double pole-double throw switch.
Flip the switch one way and the Bryston is on, Ayon is off,
Flip it the other way and the Ayon is on, Bryston is off.

richidoo

« Reply #4 on: 21 Dec 2017, 03:05 am »
SPDIF requires 75 ohm signal path, so the cable, terminations and connectors should be 75 ohm, or else you will have a jitter explosion. So if you use a switch, I'd recommend you put a reclocker after the switch to comb out the jitter before hitting the DAC.

This kit would allow you to wire it with BNC and/or RCA jacks. Unfortunately, many useful twistedpear kits are often out of stock. But the parts list and PCBs are available.

Also this and this. They look cheap, but might do the job. Maybe you could ditch the case and use the guts with a BNC input connector.

randytsuch

« Reply #5 on: 21 Dec 2017, 04:27 am »
IMHO, either trying to switch I2S or convert to usb will result in sound degradation, so then what's the point?

fado

« Reply #6 on: 21 Dec 2017, 07:01 pm »
I do not easily understand much of the technical side of audio electronics so the Mutec is the most attractive option. Whether the investment is worth it is something I will have to decide. I addition, there is not agreement among others that the Mutec will even do it. There a two models, MC-1.2 and MC-3+USB. It is confusing because I did study the Mutec site and it said the USB was bi-directional. It looked like I could use one of the inputs (RCA or RCA with BNC adapter) for my CD player and the USB as an out to my DAC. From the Mutec site:

1 x Cinch input (coaxial) for S/P-DIF, 75 ohms terminated, unbalanced (MC-1.3)
1 x BNC input for S/P-DIF + AES3id, 75 ohms terminated, unbalanced (MC-3+ USB)
1 x USB2.0 interface, bi-directional usable (both models)

A member of another forum did not believe that the Mutec bi-directional USB would really work that way.

Since I use my CD player only ~10% of the time, I can always use it's internal DAC or use my old external DAC.

Thanks all for your help.