Blown RDS

garyc1

Blown RDS
« on: 30 Nov 2017, 07:18 pm »
It sounds like I have a blown driver in my RDS.  At least the loud squawking during loudish movie playback leads me to suspect that.   I have inspected from the front but don’t see anything obvious.  How do I tell which driver is the problem?  I know this sounds like a silly question but I want to know if I am missing an easy diagnosis before I tear it apart.  I love the sound in my theater and would like to get it back.   Thanks for any suggestions..

Stimpy

Re: Blown RDS
« Reply #1 on: 2 Dec 2017, 12:48 am »
Be nice to your VMPS speakers.  There's not much in the way of repair options.  But, maybe contact Pat M. for spare parts.  He's advertising on CL about having a number of WCF woofers available for sale.

Also, an easy way to trouble-shoot suspect drivers is with the cardboard center tube, from a roll of paper towels.  It makes a great stethoscope, for listening to individual drivers.  Easy to hear which one is broken, through the tube.  Once you've found the suspect, swap it into the other speaker, to ensure it's the driver and not a crossover issue.

Finally, when you get the RDS up and running again, set it to small in your surround processor.  It'll last longer that way...!

Good luck!