Power Cords and Conditioning - Quatro CT Subs

Early B.

Re: Power Cords and Conditioning - Quatro CT Subs
« Reply #20 on: 26 Oct 2017, 12:05 pm »
I seriously doubt that Richard would put a crappy amp in a $62k pair of speakers.

It's questionable to put a plate amp on any pair of speakers, especially ones that cost $62K, for the reasons I already mentioned. Plate amps are used for convenience and low price, not sound quality.   

darthlaker

« Reply #21 on: 27 Oct 2017, 01:47 am »
Vandersteen has been using Audioquest Niagara power conditioners (7,000 and/or 5,000 models) at all his trade shows.

I have a 5000 and it is quite amazing.

Highly recommended.

I hear Vandy's amps use some of the tech that AQ does for the Niagara's.

Folsom

« Reply #22 on: 27 Oct 2017, 02:09 am »
Do you know otherwise?  if so, please educate us here.

I have yet to be bowled over by any SMPS based amplifier. They are ok, but not as natural sounding as I like.

Folsom

« Reply #23 on: 27 Oct 2017, 02:13 am »
It's questionable to put a plate amp on any pair of speakers, especially ones that cost $62K, for the reasons I already mentioned. Plate amps are used for convenience and low price, not sound quality.

It seems clear Vandersteen used a grade up from most, based on the description. But it isn't like he stuffed $20k monoblocks in. They may fit his desired sound?

Generally speaking even a fancy Ncore based unit with DSP etc, is still not anything terribly expensive. But they work well for their purpose. "Well" isnt my particular goal. I have no doubt they are overall good speakers, but not an end all.

dminches

« Reply #24 on: 27 Oct 2017, 12:48 pm »
Vandersteen has been using Audioquest Niagara power conditioners (7,000 and/or 5,000 models) at all his trade shows.

I have a 5000 and it is quite amazing.

Highly recommended.

I hear Vandy's amps use some of the tech that AQ does for the Niagara's.

That is correct.  I have a pair of the M7-HPAs.  They have power conditioning by AQ built into the amp.  They also have a suspension system built by HRS.

darthlaker

« Reply #25 on: 27 Oct 2017, 08:46 pm »
That is correct.  I have a pair of the M7-HPAs.  They have power conditioning by AQ built into the amp.  They also have a suspension system built by HRS.

NICE!!!!

I got my MX-R's upgraded to MXR 20's....couldn't stretch to the Vandy amps...

Have you thought about the Mk2 Sevens? (I have the originals and live too far away to even consider the upgrade!)

dminches

« Reply #26 on: 27 Oct 2017, 09:19 pm »
NICE!!!!

I got my MX-R's upgraded to MXR 20's....couldn't stretch to the Vandy amps...

Have you thought about the Mk2 Sevens? (I have the originals and live too far away to even consider the upgrade!)

I had the MX-Rs before the H7-MPAs and thought they were great.  I am sure the Twenties are that much nicer.

I am not sure what I gain going to the Mk2s.  Everything in the room is set up so well right now I hate to make any changes.  Maybe in the future...

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #27 on: 27 Oct 2017, 09:27 pm »

A Grham  Slee Proprius monoblock amp attached to the rear of an Harbeth M20 monitor loudspeaker

darthlaker

« Reply #28 on: 27 Oct 2017, 09:43 pm »
I had the MX-Rs before the H7-MPAs and thought they were great.  I am sure the Twenties are that much nicer.

I am not sure what I gain going to the Mk2s.  Everything in the room is set up so well right now I hate to make any changes.  Maybe in the future...

I think they only made some minor changes and the main reason for the price hike (US$10K) was due to rise in cost of materials and labour....

nrenter

« Reply #29 on: 30 Oct 2017, 05:10 pm »
So I ask Richard about the amps used in the Quatro / 5 / 7 line...

Could you comment on the design of the subwoofer amplifiers used in the Quatro / 5 / 7 line of speakers? There are some that claim that, by definition, plate amplifiers are a compromised design choice (particularly due to lack of isolation from the effects of physical driver proximity). Also, are there any unique design / implementation factors (other than the multi-band EQ) that enhance your sub amps?

...and here's his response...

We do not use a plate amp it is a feed forward design specifically designed for the woofer enclosure, driver (s), and crossovers and is high level as the customer’s amp provides the majority of the gain.  Vibrations are a factor if not accounted for but are mostly sensitive to high frequencies (this is a bass amp).

dminches

« Reply #30 on: 30 Oct 2017, 05:14 pm »
So I ask Richard about the amps used in the Quatro / 5 / 7 line...

...and here's his response...

Thanks for finding this out.  I am not surprised that this is well designed.

And this should end the speculation by those who thought otherwise.

Tomictime

« Reply #31 on: 11 Dec 2017, 12:19 am »
best sound at shows..many shows is hard to achieve with a crappy design......

i have removed the amps from my 5a as you need to accomplish this task to replace the DBS battery in the main crossover. They are purpose built by Vandersteen and seal very very well in an isolated box within a box. There are something like 16 layers of mdf in a 5a head, short of a model 7 cabinet vibration and effect on drivers, crossovers and amp are well understood by the designer.

on to power chords..er cords for the sub amp....my recollection is RV has tried them and will admit with some cords a micro level of improvement but with many potential pitfalls. a high pressure moldedd plug will outperform over time all but the highest torque mechanical plugs. So far with my model 7 I have stuck with the factory cords...

ctsooner

« Reply #32 on: 31 Dec 2017, 03:43 pm »
I"m also a factory cord guy on the speakers.  I have had some really expensive stuff in and none made a positive difference.  Head end is different for me as that does make a difference.  Cords though are last on my list right now.