Classical music and desktop systems?

Classical music and desktop systems?
« on: 14 Oct 2017, 04:52 pm »
Does anybody listen to classical music on desktop systems? I don't mean background music while playing video games or doing work at a computer.  I mean actually listening attentively to, say, a Beethoven symphony or a Mozart concerto. I see picture after picture of desktop audio systems, and I wonder how it's possible for people with setups like that ever to get into classical music in any meaningful way.  Sure, I listen to plenty of music in the background while I do other things, but I also listen to music with my undivided attention for long periods of time, time I find far more comfortable sitting in a nice chair or couch instead of at a desk. What's it like for the rest of you classical music lovers? Do you listen to symphonies at your desk, or is the way you listen to classical music incompatible with a desktop audio system?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Classical music and desktop systems?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Oct 2017, 05:07 pm »
Nope. Never go to the computer to listen to classical- that's why I have a nice main system.
But, several times a week i'll go to Youtube to preview something I'm not familiar with... usually an Andolink posting in the What Classical are you Listening to thread. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 14 Oct 2017, 07:31 pm »
I listen on my main system.  Or if I want a more intimate experience, I use my Alclair Curve IEMs.  There's something to be said for listening to classical on highly resolving IEMs or even via my Beyer T1 headphones.  The speakers give you a sense of space and scale, but the IEMs give you a sense of intimacy with the music that is hard to replicate with speakers.

Freo-1

« Reply #3 on: 14 Oct 2017, 07:33 pm »
'In an office environment, a good headphone setup is a great option for classical music.  The price/performance ratio for a good headphone setup is better than a desktop setup, IMHO.

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #5 on: 16 Oct 2017, 05:33 am »
There is no way I could critically listen to classical music on a desktop system.

I think headphones are a better alternative.

That being said,  I do preview music that I'm considering ordering on youtube, provided I can find it out there.  Then I order the CD from Barnes & Noble or Amazon.  Barnes & Noble, if it's available, since I like to support my local bricks and mortar retailer.  If I can't get it from them, I'll order it from Amazon.

I don't have any music that I don't personally own CD's or vinyl of.

HsvHeelFan