Cleaning a Resin Sink

Don_S

Cleaning a Resin Sink
« on: 13 Oct 2017, 04:49 pm »
Help!!!  My kitchen sink is some synthetic material so I do not want to use anything abrasive.  It has grown a dirty film on the sides.  For some reason the bottom is clean and there are some clean spots on the sides in stark contrast to the mineral deposits surrounding them.

I wish I knew what made those spots so clean.  I have tried full-strength Zep calcium and stain remover.  Spit would have worked just as well.  Vinegar, Kaboom, and other cleaners have been just as ineffective. I even tried steam cleaning with zero results. 

Every time I cleaned my sink in the past I always included the sides so I don't know why they look different from the bottom. My sink is mocking me. :x

Suggestions that don't include replacing the tiled-in, flush-mount sink?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Re: Cleaning a Resin Sink
« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2017, 05:46 pm »
Is this something made from stone dust and resin or a solid surface type sink?

Generally, you should steer clean of highly alkaline or acidic cleaners. If it's stone dust (often marketed as "granite") you can treat it like stone. My guess is it's etched. These might be some help:

https://miraclesealants.com/products/clean-maintain/liquid-poultice

https://miraclesealants.com/products/restore/water-ring-etch-remover

If it's solid surface, it can be abraded, but takes patience and a small buffer.

Don_S

« Reply #2 on: 13 Oct 2017, 05:57 pm »
Thanks Peter.  The sink is not stone or any resemblance thereof. I hate to say it is plastic because it isn't quite.  But it is some fiber-reinforced synthetic material. Heavier but maybe similar to non-metal shower stalls and tub/enclosures. It has a dull sheen that would definitely be damaged by something like Soft Scrub liquid clenser.

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #3 on: 13 Oct 2017, 06:34 pm »
As I understand this is a brand new house,  if correct I would think the builder would have left a bundle of product information.   At least that has been my experience.   This would be needed for warranty on any and all items installed.

This would cover shingles to sinks and faucets ( most faucets are life time warranties).

There should be some care and cleaning info.

If this didn't come with the house I would call the realtor or builder. 

I know my wife would want to read all of the info before she would let me flush the toilet. 

Alan

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #4 on: 13 Oct 2017, 06:37 pm »
Thanks Peter.  The sink is not stone or any resemblance thereof. I hate to say it is plastic because it isn't quite.  But it is some fiber-reinforced synthetic material. Heavier but maybe similar to non-metal shower stalls and tub/enclosures. It has a dull sheen that would definitely be damaged by something like Soft Scrub liquid clenser.

You may want to stick your head under sink and see if Mfg's name is there. Lots of variations on the theme with their own specific care. MAYBE you could use something like Magic Eraser, but those are really just fine abrasive and could damage as well.

Photo may be helpful, but I'd see if I could figure out who made it.

rockadanny

« Reply #5 on: 13 Oct 2017, 06:41 pm »
We had a kitchen sink like this. My wife had excellent results with Gel Gloss liquid (never tried the spray).

*Scotty*

« Reply #6 on: 13 Oct 2017, 07:11 pm »
The resin is somewhat porous and I suspect that you have a stain that is in the pores. I would try a strong oxygen based bleach like sodium percarbonate. See Amazon link below
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00OKNY8ME/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1507920904&sr=8-1&keywords=sodium+percarbonate+5lb&dpPl=1&dpID=51-N2p8vH3L&ref=plSrch
Sodium perborate is another oxygen bleach it might be more powerful than sodium percarbonate
See ebay link
https://m.ebay.com/itm/Sodium-Perborate-99-1lb-/222585226560?hash=item33d31d0540%3Ag%3A-KgAAOSw4ERZbWFY&_trkparms=pageci%253Aa5dacb21-b049-11e7-a62a-74dbd1800597%257Cparentrq%253A1721a59315f0aa14676bad22fffc45c5%257Ciid%253A2
Scotty

JDoyle

« Reply #7 on: 13 Oct 2017, 11:35 pm »
If straight Ammonia doesn't do it (NOT with bleach!!), try buying a solvent.  Prep sol is my go to, but you may find pints of lacquer thinner at a hardware store . Start with a small amount on a folded cotton cloth (cut up T shirt)... Go SLOW!