Repair Techs for older, solid-state receivers in the Raleigh, NC area

terry parr

These guys are getting scarce as hen's teeth.  I realize not a lot of money is to be made in servicing these older (some say "vintage"), pieces, as anyone who's repairing this two-channel gear nowadays is probably only doing it as a side-line or hobby.  (or, is working at a place that mainly sells and services home theatre equipment and Televisions). 

I've tried two local places in the past few months, only to come away disappointed.  No need to name names, which I won't. 

I'm looking for someone who would appreciate and know why I prefer the sound of some of these 1970's receivers in a two-channel music-only setup, and who knows how to service this type of equipment.

I'm currently using a Technics SA-500 (which I've dropped-off at two different locations, neither of which seemed to understand why I would want to be using it, or knowing shit about how to fix it).  Much less knowing about what type of output transistors or caps to use as replacements. 

I also have a 70's-era SONY STR-6055 receiver (which will need some servicing in the future, but that doesn't get dropped-off anywhere until they've proven that they know what they're doing).   

Any specific recommendations from anyone?

Thanks, guys.     

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
PM member Richidoo and let his buddy Sol do it.

terry parr

How you doing, man?   I remember meeting you at the meet-up there in Cary that Sol hosted (two years ago this past April).   

Man.  Time is flying by.

No doubt Sol has the knowledge.  Wouldn't doubt that for a second.  He's the man.  Enjoyed meeting and talking to him that day.  But, I don't think he'd have the time, or would want to fiddle or fuss with something like this.     

bummrush

I had a str 7065, a super nice stereo reciever from mid 70's.a Philips  312 ,and Infinity  monitor Jr's.  My first stereo. Great tunes.,and this is neither good or bad. It was a different time. No web,barely cable ,all we did was plug those red and white interconnects without a second thought. For me it was all new. Only mag i looked at was stereo  review.
 Haha back to question.  I think the guy you could at least try might be be Bill Thallman..What he all works on ,you need to call. Google him ,im sure he'll pop up.

charmerci

I'm currently using a Technics SA-500 (which I've dropped-off at two different locations, neither of which seemed to understand why I would want to be using it, or knowing shit about how to fix it).  Much less knowing about what type of output transistors or caps to use as replacements. 

Wow. That was one of my early dream receivers until I got into separates! Cool!  :thumb:  Hope you can find someone to repair it - keep my early dreams alive!  :lol:

richidoo

Sol loves fixing vintage gear and has a pretty good collection. Definitely get up with him for your Technics. He may have to re-engineer it to use modern parts, but it will run better than new.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
If Sol cannot help you let me know. I used to work for a repair shop in Charlotte and might be able to locate a tech for you.

terry parr

Hey, Rick.  If you could give some contact info of anyone in the Raleigh area, I'd appreciate it. 

Sent Sol a message on the advice of richidoo months ago, but Sol never sent a reply back (so, I don't want to pester or bother anybody).   

I've got some time off this week, and it would be a good time to get some work done on some equipment.  Anybody you know of will have to be in the Raleigh area.  I already know of a great tech in New Bern, but what I'm trying to avoid is two trips out there.  (From where I am in Clayton, it would be a "day trip" to get out to New Bern and back).  So, I'm looking at two different days with at least 4 hrs.  on the road to drop off the amp, and then another trip out there to pick it up.  Man, I wish that guy lived closer.   

So, in other words, if you know of a great tech (but he's in Charlotte), then that won't work. 

richidoo

Sol doesn't do much repair work anymore. He devotes his hobby time to his own research, but he's too nice to say "No" to anybody.  Most of the repairs he was doing on hifi gear really needed redesign to fix it correctly, and that was a waste of his time. Ironically, his own research these days involves reverse engineering vintage Japanese electronics, discovering that they were more advanced in analog design in the 1970s than now and the industry has lost much of that old wisdom. He finds confirmation of his own discoveries in their work from 50 years ago, and he finds clues how to best implement those concepts in their designs. He's more like an intuitive electronics physicist now. Sol is a true creative genius and I hope he will someday offer his own designs for sale.

Alex Lok, of "The Analog Store" is located in Four Oaks, NC.  He is qualified and does good restoration work on vintage gear from his home workshop. He has worked on a few items for me in the past when he had a storefront in Garner and then in Raleigh.
http://www.theanalogstore.com/

terry parr

Definitely will check this guy out, richi.  Thank-You! 

Appreciate the quick reply, man! 

I thought the reason Sol didn't get back to me was that I had mentioned that as far as possible replacement caps, on one of the amps, I didn't want any caps that might imply even a hint of "warming" up the sound any, as I preferred a bit more of a clinical, analytical sound for that amp.  And, i could picture him rolling his eyes and thinking, "Good grief.  He's talking about sound characteristics between different caps. Between different caps!"  I thought that's what did it, so I just let it go.  Anyway, I do appreciate the info as far as what Sol is up to, now. 

Hope this Alex Lok pans out.  It would be nice to have somebody both technically qualified, and with a bit of an artful sensibility (as far as choosing components for how they deliver music, and not only for how they measure) in my neck of the woods. 

Thanks, richi. 

richidoo

Alex is technically qualified to fix most high end components, but don't expect your "artful sensibility." I haven't seen him in 10 years so I don't know what he's up to now. His website is still up, so I assume he's still working.

Sol has artful sensibility. :) But he thinks engineering is more important than parts quality, as long as decent parts are used.