FireFox 54.0.1 (32-bit) unstable

audio.bill

Re: FireFox 54.0.1 (32-bit) unstable
« Reply #20 on: 8 Aug 2017, 03:21 pm »
I'm using Opera Browser for the first time and absolutely love it.

Opera version: 46.0.2597.26376
System: Windows 7 64-bit

I tried Mozilla's new browsers "Waterfox" , no comparison to Opera IMO.

I just deleted all my browsers yesterday Except Opera.
They were, FireFox, WaterFox,Chrome,and a browser by Avira.

Love Opera so far.
Curious what you like so much better about Opera compared to Firefox or Chrome. I was going to try it but the Dashlane password manager doesn't seem to have an add-on for Opera. TIA!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #21 on: 8 Aug 2017, 05:15 pm »
My FF 54 is downloading an update 24.4mb, may be these fixtures.

srb

« Reply #22 on: 8 Aug 2017, 05:20 pm »
My FF 54 is downloading an update 24.4mb, may be these fixtures.

Yes, that's the update to v55.0

It will be interesting to see if that solves your problem.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #23 on: 8 Aug 2017, 05:42 pm »
Yes, that's the update to v55.0

It will be interesting to see if that solves your problem.
Wait, I will reboot the FF.

audio.bill

« Reply #24 on: 8 Aug 2017, 05:53 pm »
Interesting to see in the FF v55.0 notes it says that the 64 bit version is recommended in systems with Windows 64 bit OS and sufficient memory. Also that current 32 bit users with suitable systems will automatically be upgraded to the 64 bit version as part of their normal updates as of the next release.

srb

« Reply #25 on: 8 Aug 2017, 06:21 pm »
With the update to v55.0 32-bit, 19 of 23 active add-ons now have a LEGACY tag next to them.

I have my Tools > Options > Advanced > Update set for "Check for updates, but let you choose whether to install them".

Will have to see how this plays out - whether my Legacy add-ons will be disabled and/or whether Mozilla will continue to offer 32-bit updates for manual installation.

Steve

audio.bill

« Reply #26 on: 8 Aug 2017, 06:54 pm »
With the update to v55.0 32-bit, 19 of 23 active add-ons now have a LEGACY tag next to them.

I have my Tools > Options > Advanced > Update set for "Check for updates, but let you choose whether to install them".

Will have to see how this plays out - whether my Legacy add-ons will be disabled and/or whether Mozilla will continue to offer 32-bit updates for manual installation.

Steve
Steve - I just completed updating FF v55.0 to the 64 bit version and the majority of my add-ons are also marked as LEGACY so it's not really clear what that indicates. I am thrilled to report that the 64 bit version is clearly running much faster with many page loads now being almost instantaneous! If you choose to make the upgrade to the 64 bit version and you use Outlook it is strongly recommended to temporarily change your default web browser to IE before the new install. Then once it's completed you can uninstall the 32 bit version and then reset your default web browser to FF. I followed those instructions and the new version is working very well and all of my settings and add-ons remained installed.  :thumb:

audio.bill

« Reply #27 on: 9 Aug 2017, 12:03 am »
*** Warning about upgrading from FF 32 to 64 bit version ***

I performed the upgrade as a described in my previous post, then after a system reboot Outlook was blocked from opening any embedded hyperlinks in email (both links to web pages and email). I had to spend about an hour messing around with resetting IE as my default browser and resetting its defaults, then changing other program defaults involving browser and Outlook email client, restoring FF as my default browser, and finally making a registry value change before I was finally able to restore email embedded hyperlinks functionality in Outlook. After my experience I'd respectfully suggest that you may be well advised to wait until the next FF release where they are going to make the 64 bit upgrade automatic which will hopefully avoid these issues! :duh:

However I have to say that I continue to be extremely impressed with the speed improvement with the 64 bit version of FF. I previously used Google Chrome for a couple of years and found its speed exceptional, but got tired of having to deal with so many websites being incorrectly rendered or simply non-functional in Chrome. So I switched to FF and found it noticeably slower but much better consistency with more universal compatibility. Now with the upgrade to the latest version of FF and particularly the 64 bit version I find it to perform at least as quickly as Chrome and I think it may even be faster!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #28 on: 9 Aug 2017, 12:25 am »
These are two videos that had prob in my FF54.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7VdttECw_o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYV41L7Uslk
Now w/the FF55 it dont present any prob.
Also appear 2 new W10 updates
• 2017-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4034674).
•2017-08 Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4034662).
What make sense as the Flash Player run the videos.

andy_c

« Reply #29 on: 9 Aug 2017, 06:33 pm »

Sorry that this might be slightly off-topic, but Firefox 57, which is supposed to come out in November of this year, will no longer run add-ons not written for the WebExtensions API.  See this article for more details.  The responses to the article are interesting.

andy_c

« Reply #30 on: 11 Aug 2017, 03:37 am »
Here's something I found when upgrading Firefox 54.0.1 to the 64-bit version.

I use a programmer's text editor called Notepad++.  When editing HTML files, there are menu options to launch the file in various browsers to view it.  After upgrading to the 64-bit version of Firefox, the option to launch the current file in Firefox stopped working.  A post on their support site led me to the solution.  For the 32-bit version that hasn't been upgraded to 64-bit, there is a key in the registry that looks like this:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\firefox.exe

It has a (Default) subkey with the following value:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

And a Path subkey with this value:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox

When installing the 64-bit version, then uninstalling the 32-bit version, the "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\firefox.exe" registry key gets blown away!  It needs to be added back, with these subkeys:

(Default)
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

Path
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox

Once I did that, then rebooted, the command to launch Firefox from Notepad++ worked again.  There's probably related problems with other programs as well.

Note: "HKLM" is shorthand for "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #31 on: 14 Aug 2017, 10:51 pm »
Unfortunately the same prob happen again, the tab of the video becomes black as before, but the other tabs are white, and no information is showed-frozen.

Its not work properly also w/ Google translator and is very slow on most sites.
The version is 55.0.1 (32-bit)

srb

« Reply #32 on: 14 Aug 2017, 11:02 pm »
Unfortunately the same prob happen again, the tab of the video becomes black as before, but the other tabs are white, and no information is showed-frozen.

So updating the video driver did not help at all?
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=151968.msg1625086#msg1625086

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #33 on: 14 Aug 2017, 11:23 pm »
So updating the video driver did not help at all?
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=151968.msg1625086#msg1625086
The Nvidia Ge Force update app informed the driver is uptodate.
So I have not updated.

srb

« Reply #34 on: 14 Aug 2017, 11:27 pm »
The Nvidia Ge Force update app informed the driver is uptodate.
So I have not updated.

It might be worth a try to uninstall the driver (removing files) then reinstall it.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #35 on: 25 Aug 2017, 09:05 am »
Since afew days my FF 55.0.2 (32-bit) started not to work properly with the FlagFox 5.1.26 plugin-legacy ((

WGH

« Reply #36 on: 25 Aug 2017, 02:43 pm »
I see you are still beating that 32 bit Firefox  :deadhorse:
My problems ended when I uninstalled the 32 bit and installed the 64 bit. Firefox 56.0b5 (64 bit) is performing flawlessly.

audio.bill

« Reply #37 on: 25 Aug 2017, 06:13 pm »
Similarly for me, downloaded and installed Firefox 55 64 bit version, currently on v55.0.2 and everything is working perfectly including all of my legacy add-ons but I don't use FlagFox.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #38 on: 26 Aug 2017, 12:05 pm »
Its downloading 5,7MB of updating...

Its updated to 55.0.3 (32-bit) w/this version Flagfox is working OK.
« Last Edit: 26 Aug 2017, 01:12 pm by FullRangeMan »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #39 on: 28 Aug 2017, 01:38 pm »
Seems FF are very fast today.
I do nothing so far, just wait they fix that *