Anyone heard the new Hsu monitors, CCB-8s

Doublej

Anyone heard the new Hsu monitors, CCB-8s
« on: 28 Jul 2017, 02:23 pm »
The first reviews are rating them very highly.

I wonder how they would sound in a desktop setup? It looks like they might require more distance between them and the listener to perform at their best.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: Anyone heard the new Hsu monitors, CCB-8s
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2017, 06:12 pm »
The first reviews are rating them very highly.

I wonder how they would sound in a desktop setup? It looks like they might require more distance between them and the listener to perform at their best.

See my response here, I heard them at RMAF:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=149999.msg1604422#msg1604422

Best,
Anand.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jul 2017, 10:30 am »
I like the efficient, concentric design, but sitting a couple of feet away from 8 inch drivers can be overwhelming, very intense, in your face.  And the bass that 8 inch woofers can produce in a desktop setting can also be overwhelming.  And the constant directivity feature would be wasted on a desktop application.

Check out Sound-On-Sound and Audiostream for reviews of active speakers used in desktop settings (that include concentric designs).  When reviewing 5 inch and 8 inch versions of the same speaker, Sound-On-Sound almost always prefers the 5 inch. 

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #3 on: 29 Jul 2017, 10:54 am »
If a fantastic desktop monitor and active speaker is in your sights then please consider the JBL LSR305. Honestly you should be thrilled. Available inexpensively and very competitive with plenty out there. Extraordinarily solid engineering and competency in design with accountability from a company that takes those things seriously. At the price and for several tiers above that price it sells for.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LSR305

Best,
Anand.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #4 on: 29 Jul 2017, 01:28 pm »
I like the efficient, concentric design, but sitting a couple of feet away from 8 inch drivers can be overwhelming, very intense, in your face.
I don't follow your logic here. The diameter of the driver forces one to listen at higher than comfortable volume??? :scratch:
The controlled mid/tweeter directivity limits the sound power in the mid region, which to my knowledge, is what "in your face" translates to.

And the constant directivity feature would be wasted on a desktop application.
Not sure why that would be. A concentric will control directivity vertically as well, which should be a plus on a desktop.

cheers,

AJ