Valerian

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
Valerian
« on: 27 Jul 2017, 03:19 am »
I am a science fiction addict.  I was afraid this would be a bad movie, but I enjoyed it immensely.  Saw it in 3D and it is a visual feast.  If you wanta see a bunch (and I mean a BUNCH) of aliens done well, this is for you.  The credits at the end for the digital teams was never-ending it seemed. More like the Buck Rogers TV show than Star Trek, it is based on a comic book I have never seen. Valerian is a military special ops trouble shooter and the movie follows one of his adventures.  Writing wasn't too good, with some obvious filler in the middle to make it long enough.  Fortunately the filler had Rihanna as a shape shifter working as a stripper.  Not a deep thinker's movie, it is a rousing adventure with incredible visuals - true eye candy.  I was hooked in the first 5 minutes.  It didn't hurt that the theater had electric operated lounge chairs for seating.

Folsom

Re: Valerian
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2017, 04:14 am »
You can't get me to go to theaters anymore without those chairs and assigned seating.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jul 2017, 06:49 am »
I really want to see it!  Hopefully I can sneak in there before I move.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jul 2017, 03:44 am »
Given the mediocre reviews I was a bit leery but this one turned out to be a lot of fun! :thumb:  It's not perfect by any stretch; Cara Delevigne is undeniably gorgeous but underwhelms as an actor IMO.  I thought she was okay in Suicide Squad but when asked to help carry a film as a lead she falls a bit short.  And she and DeHaan seem to have no chemistry.  Perhaps what we call 'chemistry' is simply great acting but there was no spark at all between them making the will-they-or-won't-they angle fall a bit flat.  In fact, it seems that Valerian and Bubbles (play by Rihanna) had some fire between them instead!

But the film is beautiful!  The visuals are simply stunning.  Overall the performances are good and I felt the story was interesting.  I wouldn't put this one up there The Fifth Element or Leon:  The Professional but it's a fun summer movie.

stlrman

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jul 2017, 05:45 pm »
Put in my dvd que. :thumb:

restrav

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jul 2017, 08:02 pm »
Given the mediocre reviews I was a bit leery but this one turned out to be a lot of fun! :thumb:  It's not perfect by any stretch; Cara Delevigne is undeniably gorgeous but underwhelms as an actor IMO.  I thought she was okay in Suicide Squad but when asked to help carry a film as a lead she falls a bit short.  And she and DeHaan seem to have no chemistry.  Perhaps what we call 'chemistry' is simply great acting but there was no spark at all between them making the will-they-or-won't-they angle fall a bit flat.  In fact, it seems that Valerian and Bubbles (play by Rihanna) had some fire between them instead!

But the film is beautiful!  The visuals are simply stunning.  Overall the performances are good and I felt the story was interesting.  I wouldn't put this one up there The Fifth Element or Leon:  The Professional but it's a fun summer movie.

I dont mean any disrespect and am not trying to troll, but if you thought she was good in Suicide squad, your standards are already not high so it leads me to believe that she will be underwhelming in Valerian

srb

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jul 2017, 08:06 pm »
..... but if you [Rob] thought she was good in Suicide squad, your standards are already not high .....

He didn't say she was good, he said she was "okay".  Big difference.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 28 Jul 2017, 09:11 pm »
I dont mean any disrespect and am not trying to troll, but if you thought she was good in Suicide squad, your standards are already not high so it leads me to believe that she will be underwhelming in Valerian

As the scientist/doctor she was laughable.  But as the evil witch queen her whole performance was her appearance; on that count I think she was okay. She's kind of exotic looking anyways, somewhat alien in the way David Bowie seemed a little alien.  She didn't really need to act per se, just look witchy. :lol:  Plus her role was pretty minor and it's not like she had to carry the movie. But in Valerian she's the co-star which requires a bit more chops and charisma to pull off.  There she falls a bit short.

I still enjoyed the film.  The entire thing is hypnotic to look at and I suppose Delevigne is part of that. :wink: