Is the Devialet digital amp the best of SS and tubes?

Kw6

Love to hear  your opinion if you have heard  the Devialet amps?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Is the Devialet digital amp the best of SS and tubes?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2017, 06:04 am »
A friend brought his 120 to the house and put it in place of my Dodd battery preamp and my upgraded Moscode 401HR, driving my line source LS9's. Listened to his music through his digital rig (I'm mostly a vinyl guy).  It's perhaps more detailed, sometimes clearly so, didn't have much depth of imaging.  He happily took his Devialet home, and I happily put my Dodd & Moscode back in my system. 

Kw6

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul 2017, 06:30 am »
A friend brought his 120 to the house and put it in place of my Dodd battery preamp and my upgraded Moscode 401HR, driving my line source LS9's. Listened to his music through his digital rig (I'm mostly a vinyl guy).  It's perhaps more detailed, sometimes clearly so, didn't have much depth of imaging.  He happily took his Devialet home, and I happily put my Dodd & Moscode back in my system.

I only heard at dealer driving Wilson Sabrina  speakers. I thought the Devialet  was holographic, airy and was very lively.

Keep in mind the dealer has well treated room. Then  I heard  the more expensive Sim audio monos with Wilson Sashas still  Devialet  was more organic.  Sims were a touch warm and sounded nice but not like live performance.

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jul 2017, 12:46 pm »
I owned a D250 for a few months. The phono input was ultra quiet compared to my Zesto Andros, but the sound was lifeless. The digital AES input was very good when used with a Berkeley Alpha USB but again lacked any real magic for me. I can't say the Devialet had any tube like qualities.

I've since sold the D250 and returned to tube separates.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #4 on: 25 Jul 2017, 02:56 pm »
Based on the two responses, I'd say that the answer to your question "Is the Devialet digital amp the best of SS and tubes?"... is no. 
It's good, and a reasonable solution.  With all the bells and whistles, it offers a nice package.  But it's not the be all and end all for all stereo buffs. 

Kw6

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jul 2017, 03:34 pm »
Glad  to have received this  feedback! Thanks!

Kw6

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jul 2017, 03:36 pm »
I owned a D250 for a few months. The phono input was ultra quiet compared to my Zesto Andros, but the sound was lifeless. The digital AES input was very good when used with a Berkeley Alpha USB but again lacked any real magic for me. I can't say the Devialet had any tube like qualities.

I've since sold the D250 and returned to tube separates.

Btw which tube separates are you running?

Docere

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jul 2017, 08:13 am »
Not IME.

I heard the top of the line stereo model hooked up to some expensive Martin Logans - a combination that was getting raves at the time. Sounded linear, resolved... it did well with the easily-described aspects sonic reproduction. There was some hollowness in the bass, probably due to the speakers. More importantly to me, the system didn't communicate musically. It was like a technically excellent photo of a significant event that failed to communicate the significance of the event. Blur's "Charmless Man" springs to mind.

I was a solid state guy at the time. It would be most like push-pull pentodes with high global negative feedback.

Cheers.

Kw6

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jul 2017, 08:16 am »
Thanks for sharing your  experience  Docere!

Kw6

« Reply #9 on: 28 Jul 2017, 08:17 am »
Anyways  I placed an order for the Icon Audio Stereo 30SE!  Let you know how it compares to my Nad c390dd in a few months!

Freo-1

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jul 2017, 11:07 pm »
Love to hear  your opinion if you have heard  the Devialet amps?

I have the Expert 400 driving a pair of Dynaudio Focus 360's, and the sound from this combo is incredible.  Dead quiet background, tight tuneful bass, vocals that sound as if the singers are in the room, and outstanding treble.  It has plenty of power to drive pretty much any speaker out there.  The fact  that the user can download the specific speaker curves for their application makes it sound even better.  I have no inclination to change out this system whatsoever.

Now, having said that, I also have a custom DIY tube setup:  A Thomas Meyer 6AH4 Clone preamp, and 110 watt 1625 power amps, which use 6BL7 driver tubes.  Comparing the Devialet 400 to the tube amps, some of my friends prefer the the tube amps, as they say ity sounds fuller, while others prefer the uber clean performance from the Devialet 400.

I tend to prefer the Devialet 400 for symphonic music, and the tube setup for rock/jazz/blues.  (with the Focus 360's)   

Kw6

« Reply #11 on: 2 Aug 2017, 06:18 am »
Glad to hear from someone  who is using both SS and tubes Freo-1!

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #12 on: 2 Aug 2017, 12:49 pm »
Btw which tube separates are you running?

Sorry, I missed this question. I went with Audio Research: VPI Classic 3 -> ARC PH6 -> ARC Ref2 MkII -> VT100 MkIII -> Magico S1

After going through a bunch of gear over the last 5 years (Sonic Frontiers, Ayre, Mod Wright, and Devialet) I am very happy with this setup and hope to be done for awhile.

Mr Peabody

« Reply #13 on: 3 Aug 2017, 01:36 pm »
I've heard Devialet a few times and enjoyed it each time.  I wouldn't say it was necessarily tube like or "best of both tube/SS".  I think of amps like Pass or Coda providing a good compromise of tube/SS.

I found the Devialet detailed with a balanced frequency response, meaning nothing drew my attention or stuck out, which is a positive for me.  No listeningfatigue.  One of the best auditions was a 400 driving a set of $3500.00 Focal, forget the model, the 400 was using the speaker software, really impressive, especially considering the 400 had those Focal sounding better than any $3500.00 speaker should.  I also heard the 400 driving Magico without software which was very impressive and showed th software can help but not always necessary.

I have some Levinson gear now but used Conrad Johnson for several years.  The Devialet is different than both butcloser to Levinson than CJ.

soundmax

« Reply #14 on: 3 Aug 2017, 05:28 pm »
I have heard the Devialet 120 and 200.
If you like the sound it makes, then you'll have a nicely (matter of taste...) looking all-in-one solution.
You are the prisoner of the solution though, you cannot upgrade the dac... or some in-between cables...
It has a huge soundstage, good positioning of instruments, but a more laid-back sound which for me is "unengaging", bad timing and not-so-good treble extension (tested on Spendor and Audio Physics speakers).

mdconnelly

« Reply #15 on: 3 Aug 2017, 07:58 pm »
I started with a Devialet 200 and have since moved to a 440 Pro.   IMO, if you're a full-on lover of tube sound, the Devialet may not meet your needs.   On the other hand, if you've always been a SS listener but appreciate the richness of tubes or class A amps, then Devialet may be just your ticket.   I'd been through quite a number of SS amps including Levinson and McCormack before jumping onto Devialet.  While I loved those, the Devialet is just so much better IMO.  Note that prior to the Devialet, I had also tried couple different class D amps including the NAD M2.   The Devialet's hybrid design provides the power of a class D combined with the rich elegance of class A.    I also find that the phono section of the Devialet is really very good. 

Standard caveat... my ears, my room, my system.  YMMV.
« Last Edit: 4 Aug 2017, 12:46 pm by mdconnelly »

Kw6

« Reply #16 on: 7 Aug 2017, 07:36 am »
Thanks Mcdonally!  When funds permit I will sell my Nad  and maybe get a 120 for Summer time listening.

Kw6

« Reply #17 on: 7 Aug 2017, 07:39 am »
I've heard Devialet a few times and enjoyed it each time.  I wouldn't say it was necessarily tube like or "best of both tube/SS".  I think of amps like Pass or Coda providing a good compromise of tube/SS.

I found the Devialet detailed with a balanced frequency response, meaning nothing drew my attention or stuck out, which is a positive for me.  No listeningfatigue.  One of the best auditions was a 400 driving a set of $3500.00 Focal, forget the model, the 400 was using the speaker software, really impressive, especially considering the 400 had those Focal sounding better than any $3500.00 speaker should.  I also heard the 400 driving Magico without software which was very impressive and showed th software can help but not always necessary.

I have some Levinson gear now but used Conrad Johnson for several years.  The Devialet is different than both butcloser to Levinson than CJ.

Thanks for sharing!

Kw6

« Reply #18 on: 7 Aug 2017, 07:40 am »
Oh nice  system  Toddc2!

Kw6

« Reply #19 on: 7 Aug 2017, 07:42 am »
Soundsmax I  agree with the treble. Would need another audition with speakers I know to see about the treble!