Is anyone using extreme flea power?

belle harbor

Is anyone using extreme flea power?
« on: 16 Jul 2017, 11:54 am »
Virtually all of my listening is done with amps which can provide around 1 wpc or less (very easy when using 96 db/2.83V/m speakers and listening at low levels only 5 feet away).  Just curious as to whether there are many others following the same form of audio insanity.

opnly bafld

Re: Is anyone using extreme flea power?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2017, 02:50 pm »
I have a 2 watt EL84 set amp and 90dB Fostex FE107E speakers in a spare bedroom system.  :)
Most of my listening though is with double digit power into low sensitivity speakers in my main system.  :|

RDavidson

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2017, 05:38 pm »
I think there are many here using flea power, but not extreme. I also listen nearfield and probably use 1/2 a watt a lot of the time, but headroom is important for transients. Everyone's situation is a little different, but with extreme flea power I'd probably want 100db+ sensitive speakers with no power robbing crossover. I'm not being critical of your setup. Just saying that dynamics require power or more sensitive speakers or combo of both in order to be fully realized.

opnly bafld

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jul 2017, 05:48 pm »
From belle harbor's introduction thread:
"My listening preference is in the near-field at fairly low levels (rarely above 72-73 db) as I find it provides the total immersion which I enjoy."

I doubt he needs more power or more sensitive speakers.

RDavidson

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jul 2017, 07:09 pm »
Maybe not. It highly depends on how dynamic (or not) the music is that he typically listens to. Even just a 9db-12db dynamic swing may require several watts (if we assume 1/4 - 1/2 watt is nominal). A sudden drum snap might require this kind of headroom. But with only 1 watt available, the ceiling might be a bit low....if only for some music or if one decides to play music a little louder than normal. Also, 5 feet is nearly 2 meters. With speakers that are 96db sensitive at 1 watt at 1 M, this extra distance has to be accounted for also. There are a lot of factors, for sure. Food for thought.

belle harbor

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jul 2017, 08:38 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  I didn't expect to be back on the computer until later in the week but, after working all day, a few minutes break is welcome!

For my needs, 1 watt is really more than enough.  I don't listen to as much classical music as in the past, so 20 db of headroom isn't overly critical for me.  Simply allowing the loudest crescendo to hit the low 80s db range (which is about the loudest I would want it) all is well.  And, as we all know, most other types of recordings don't have much dynamic range at all. 

For those who are interested in power requirements, Pano on the DIY Audio forum posted a very simple (and amazingly accurate) way of determining how much power one needs for a given level.  The thread has been running for years:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/204857-test-voltage-power-speakers.html

I look forward to reading more responses on this subject. 

leica m3

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jul 2017, 10:20 pm »
In my den I am using a Bottlehead SEX 2.0 with a pair of Foster FE103en bass reflex speakers.