Doug is a good man to do business with.

JakeJ

Re: Choseal Q940 banana plugs
« Reply #21 on: 18 Jul 2017, 08:01 pm »
Posted already, thanks.

earwig

« Reply #22 on: 19 Jul 2017, 11:06 am »
So if i pushed in some rubber or plastic into some cheap nakamichi bfa plugs would that make it better?  :lol:

JakeJ

« Reply #23 on: 19 Jul 2017, 12:03 pm »
Maybe.  It needs to be elastomeric (springy) so as to keep outward pressure constant.  But as it has been said mostBFA plugs are made of steel with plating.  I have a set of Analysis Plus Silver Ovals with BFA plugs and they always have good tension.

earwig

« Reply #24 on: 19 Jul 2017, 01:00 pm »
Im not really familiar with the bfa type, I generally liked the good ole fashioned four leafed regular plugs depending on tensile strenght and thickness of the leafs the heavy duty electronic shop ones never seem to be much trouble for me. But I have had these Magnat bananas that had softer more copper content in the four leafs tended to squoosh up flat and loose up in the sockets. Thus it hard to get anything pure copper to spring.Too bad theres no way to melt my 1 lb of very old antique pure silver cutlery. Id melt those into bfas if I could :wink: or mayby a lug? The worst ones are the metal cage spring ones that twirl around the post loosely and break easy like the ones I got on my mit wire ends.Im not too keen on those thick clunky wbt plugs but they do lock up open inside ,im not sure about those.All I do know its in the tip ends that counts that tends to be ingnored stuff that comes up behind the tip like screws n posts.

srb

« Reply #25 on: 19 Jul 2017, 02:40 pm »
But as it has been said most BFA plugs are made of steel with plating.

I don't know who said that but there is no steel (iron) in beryllium copper or "spring" copper.  Maybe the word spring makes people think of steel.  Beryllium copper is generally made from copper, beryllium, cobalt and nickel.  It has less conductivity of course than pure copper, but still a good choice for electrical contacts requiring spring tension qualities.

I haven't personally used the Furez copper plugs, but the elastomeric insert is one interesting and possible method to provide outward tension on the almost pure copper split tube.

"Plastic" is a very wide and general material classification, but more specifically, elastomeric or viscoelastic polymers such as Sorbothane have been around for ~ 35 years and so far have shown excellent resistance to age hardening or cracking.

Steve

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #26 on: 19 Jul 2017, 03:23 pm »
I recommend Bluejeanscable locking banana plugs.  They sell them for $7.50 a pair.

They provide foolproof VERY secure speaker connections.

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm

Scroll down on that page to find them.

Frank Van Alstine

JakeJ

« Reply #27 on: 19 Jul 2017, 03:36 pm »
I don't know who said that but there is no steel (iron) in beryllium copper or "spring" copper.

Steve

My bad, the following stuck in my brain:

For the cost I had these on a pair of Kimber 8TC and what I'm using now the BFA spring steel gold plated from Take 5 Audio were better. As I said depends what ya wanna to spend. Better yet use bare ends no connector. I like the convenience though.

Get up on the wrong side of the bed yesterday morning?  Not to mention the references to politics and religion. :scratch: :nono:

Wow they got to you huh?

The concept of conductivity is of course bogus. There is no such thing. Wake up America and open your eyes. I was obviously not talking about this particular company and this particular pruduct when I called it vague I was ofcourse referring to the concept of conductivity in general which is a liberal gray muslim invention designed to increase taxes on decent eagle fucking Americans.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #28 on: 19 Jul 2017, 03:37 pm »
I recommend Bluejeanscable locking banana plugs.  They sell them for $7.50 a pair.

They provide foolproof VERY secure speaker connections.

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm

Scroll down on that page to find them.

Frank Van Alstine

For cheaper bananas those are very good. The Furez look nice and probably sound nice too, but will corrode over time being bare copper or silver plated. I'm also dubious their design will work well over time as copper isn't designed to flex, that's why BFAs are usually spring bronze as the material IS designed to flex. Furutech FT-212 if you want locking and pure copper, but not cheap.

bacobits1

« Reply #29 on: 19 Jul 2017, 06:15 pm »
My bad, the following stuck in my brain:

Get up on the wrong side of the bed yesterday morning?  Not to mention the references to politics and religion. :scratch: :nono:

HUH? WTF you talking about? You better go take some meds.

You better read before posting your comment I see now was directed to
Dadbeh

JakeJ

« Reply #30 on: 19 Jul 2017, 07:24 pm »
^
I'm just gonna ignore that.

earwig

« Reply #31 on: 20 Jul 2017, 11:37 am »
I guess ill just have to go down to the electronic shop bring me a strong little magnet and try it on some Nakamichi bfas its the best way to find steel . I  saved like a few hundred  or so Canadian copper pennies. I found some got pulled up by a magnet some not.Generally all the older ones passed the magnet test.Now I know which was copper which was not.Actually some bronze has steel in it looks like copper but the magnet will find it.I found some very springy coppery non-magnetic looking parts that don't stay bent easy and that don't seem to tarnish it stays pretty shiney too I found from military surplus electronic junk I collected. It like looks like it could be a really great alloy to use. So is that actually beryllium copper?.I think just good hard neoprene rubber would be a good bfa filler.The Furez would be good if it had gold plate for corrosion resistance .

srb

« Reply #32 on: 20 Jul 2017, 02:37 pm »
The Furez would be good if it had gold plate for corrosion resistance.

Yes, it's a bit puzzling why they don't offer a gold-plated version.  :scratch:

My mentioning the Furez was to acknowledge that there was a BFA-style plug that used nearly pure copper, (and its somewhat unique elastomeric insert tension design) but probably wouldn't actually purchase either unplated copper or silver-plated plugs of any style for the inevitable aforementioned oxidation.

Steve

earwig

« Reply #33 on: 21 Jul 2017, 01:52 am »
Yes I would like it to have a non-oxidizing plate over bare copper to keep the oxegen out.Perhaps Rhodium would be the best although Im not sure if its conductivity rivals gold or not.Silver would blacken up and look ugly but still retain reasonable good conductivity through the oxegenated silver and copper oxides would downgrade the conductivity  at the contact points and appear ugly too.Gold is great and very nice looking but much cheaper gold bananas has a nickel base underplate .Mayby if Furez could plate gold over the silver plate version that would be a better sell mayby .The ordinary type plug Sewell an Choseal sound more interesting mayby with the Viborg tc-8 wires. I tried the magnet test on the Nakamichi bfa ,no steel .Tried monster and a few other too ,no magnetism. Well it was an interesting conversation anyways I doubt theres going to be much difference except that that I hope the contacts remain tight and and don't loose up.Then theres my wbt binding posts only 52% copper so what good are pure copper going to do anyways?Thank you
« Last Edit: 26 Jul 2017, 11:57 am by earwig »