Are ruggies rug grippers sorbothane?

earwig

Are ruggies rug grippers sorbothane?
« on: 28 Jun 2017, 08:54 am »
I wonder if this substance can be used for audiophile applications? It seems to have a sticky composition and texture much the same as "sorbothane" .Im sure it must have some good vibration damping properties .Im going try to place pieces them as capacitor stick ons to a crossover board instead if using the double sided sticky foam tape thing .What do you think?

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Are ruggies rug grippers sorbothane?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jun 2017, 10:36 am »
I haven't seen them in person, but from the pictures they don't look at all like sorbothane.  They have a textured surface and sorbothane is smooth.  You might try them for vibration damping, but I would think the cheap cork and rubber or foam and rubber 1"x1" or 2"x2" squares available everywhere would work better as they're intended for that application.

richidoo

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jun 2017, 02:25 pm »
Those aren't sorbothane. Licensing would make it cost a lot more, and you don't need vibration attenuation under a carpet so no point paying to license if it doesn't add any value.

The advantage of double sided foam tape in holding down caps is that it conforms to the shape of the cap to get more glued area. There is very little vibration damping effect from double sided foam tape because it is not designed to damp vibration, and even if it were, the cap leads provide a pathway for vibration that circumvents any damping from the tape.

Sorbothane must be pretty heavily loaded to damp vibration well. Caps are too lightweight to properly mass load sorbothane into its vibration damping zone. You would need tiny dots of lowest durometer sorbothane.  And the cap leads would defeat the isolation anyway.

If you wanted vibration isolation for xo parts, put them all on a plate or box and isolate that as a whole, or put XO outside the speaker altogether.

IMO, modern xo parts are wound on machines applying constant firm tension, so there's minimal opportunity for signal distortion due to vibration.
Just my .02  :D

earwig

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jul 2017, 11:11 am »
I made a few absorbant feet sandwiched up few cut up circular pieces together with leather on top n bottom and made nice flat discs because the thick Audioquest sobothane feet I have were too thick and clunked up my amp up against the top shelf. So try anyways ,you never know ,they are quite tacky on top an bottom of each sheet so they need something non sticky like the stiff shiny shoe leather to keep the dust and glueing up to the shelf .As for them not being sorbothane there are other types of sorbo like compounds found in Micheal Percy site such as deflex,isoloss,microsorb and a very simular one called black hole pad too some of which I tried too.I found a piece of thin lead sheet cut up into circular pad then rubber cemented sandwich of inner tube rubber on both sides worked really well also when I bolted a turntable motor with that on a thin hard board it really quiet motor noise alot.lol