Daniel Day-Lewis retires from acting

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Daniel Day-Lewis retires from acting
« on: 21 Jun 2017, 02:32 am »
This one really shocked me! :o  DDL has announced that he's retiring from acting.  So far I haven't read anything about his reasons but he is 60 years old...perhaps he simply has interests besides acting?  It sounds like he finished one film that will be released soon but that will be it (barring a change of heart).

While he didn't really work regularly with years between films at times I will really miss him.  He is one of the greatest living actors IMO and it's sad to ponder no more new films from him.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Daniel Day-Lewis retires from acting
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2017, 02:49 am »
His body of work has few peers in quality. He and Meryl Streep are the only ones I can think of that have always put out stellar performances, although Ms. Streep has been more prolific.   Perhaps he'll do some stage work if he truly has decided to walk away from film. 

jonbee

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2017, 02:08 pm »
I wish him well. Watching any of his movies is always a treat, and as a long time student of Abraham Lincoln, I think his portrayal was eerie. Many people wrote about Lincoln's personality, speech patterns, quirks, etc. and DDL seemed to inhabit the man as nearly as humanly possible. Real craftsmanship.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2017, 04:40 pm »
May he find satisfaction in whatever new endeavors he undertakes. Definitely one of the best of our time. His The Last of the Mohicans is a classic. His devotion to his craft has always been stellar.

wushuliu

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2017, 07:22 pm »
Don't blame him. The roles really aren't there anymore. Acting is not the revered profession it used to be and the older you are the fewer the parts on top of that. Alec Baldwin a long time on the Actor's Studio made the very astute observation that acting was no longer about realism but 'performance', how fit you are, your 'look', not craft. Someone with Lewis' caliber just gets wasted nowadays - at best they can hope for some kind of cameo in a Marvel or Star Wars franchise.

genjamon

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jun 2017, 07:27 pm »
From what I read, this isn't his first time retiring from acting.  He did so previously in the late 80's, and again in the 90's.  It took extensive lobbying to get him to do Gangs of New York, and then he's had a pretty good run again since then.  Who knows, maybe it's just a matter of the right script and director lobbying him.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 29 Jun 2017, 08:00 pm »
From what I read, this isn't his first time retiring from acting.  He did so previously in the late 80's, and again in the 90's.  It took extensive lobbying to get him to do Gangs of New York, and then he's had a pretty good run again since then.  Who knows, maybe it's just a matter of the right script and director lobbying him.

Selfishly I hope you're correct!  I can't begrudge a man his well-deserved retirement, but he's such a genius that it feels like the world loses out when deprived of his work.