Feedback on Rogue Sphinx 2 integrated amp

Bigfishhk

Feedback on Rogue Sphinx 2 integrated amp
« on: 15 Jun 2017, 08:53 pm »
Any impressions of this amp?

Web shows some good reviews but also a few negative user comments re dry and bright sound (presumably caused by the class D element)

thanks

tom

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Feedback on Rogue Sphinx 2 integrated amp
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jun 2017, 09:15 pm »
Usually dry sound perception are caused by few or odd harmonics in the midrange region and abroad.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun 2017, 09:18 pm »
As with all things, some context is required to rightly understand the perspective. No single component can perform ideally with everything that is out there. Best thing to do is form your own opinion by trying in home before you buy.

Lancelot

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jun 2017, 12:32 am »

I hope others respond because this is my apprehension concerning the Sphinx. While it has generally been well received , careful reading of the many reviews seems to indicate that this is not an integrated for anyone wanting some degree of tonal richness .

If your speakers are on the  warm or laidback variety then this might be a great match ( not that many newish speakers sound like that. ) But given the neutral to slightly bright modern loudspeaker ( trying to impress with their detail and transparency ) or monitor with limited bass or even midbass extension, you would want to be sure you like that somewhat upfront , lively sound.

So, IMO ,not an amp to take a chance on without auditioning ( of course you could say that about most things audio.)

2bigears

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jun 2017, 02:22 am »
 :D any way you can try one in your system ?  A 30 day buy back ?   :D

Bigfishhk

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jun 2017, 03:40 am »
I hope others respond because this is my apprehension concerning the Sphinx. While it has generally been well received , careful reading of the many reviews seems to indicate that this is not an integrated for anyone wanting some degree of tonal richness .

If your speakers are on the  warm or laidback variety then this might be a great match ( not that many newish speakers sound like that. ) But given the neutral to slightly bright modern loudspeaker ( trying to impress with their detail and transparency ) or monitor with limited bass or even midbass extension, you would want to be sure you like that somewhat upfront , lively sound.

So, IMO ,not an amp to take a chance on without auditioning ( of course you could say that about most things audio.)

Wise words. I have heard it at the dealer with Totem speakers, very lively but maybe not what I am looking for. My Rogue all tube separates do however sound great, so got me ineterested in a used one. Still interested though to hear users feedback in other set ups. Thanks

dolsey01

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jun 2017, 02:08 pm »
I owned one for a bit and If you consider dumping the JJ 12AU7s and installing some NOS tubes (Mullard CV4003, or similar) it's a nice amp for the money.  The phono stage is OK and will hold one over until you can upgrade but I would not use it permanently. 

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #7 on: 16 Jun 2017, 02:29 pm »
A good friend had one for about a year.  He brought it to a gathering and used it to drive some 87 db efficient Neo2X speakers.  Interestingly it ran out of power.  In general the group liked a pair of 15 watt Dodd tube amps better- by that more musical.  I suspect that the Sphinx strained to drive at volume, as did the Dodd, but one handled it with more grace. 
I agree with the dry description of the Sphinx.  He sold it, and we cloned the Dodds for him. 
If you have a deal on one used, you probably won't lose many $$ trying it, just time.  And I found the phono pre to be better than just serviceable.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 16 Jun 2017, 05:31 pm »
Bigfishhk, sorry to throw cold water on your plans, but maybe this may help you to make a better choice:
Digital and Class D amps are not characterized by rich harmonics in the range of the audible spectrum, but for transparency, neutrality and sheer power, some are even cold according the speaker and cables used.

SMT what you need is a Single Ended tube amp with a big EI OPT.
In this range I suggest a KT150 SE amp that will delivery about 20W in Triode.
Or if you need huge power there is a great amp here in the Trade Circle for $2850:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=150362.msg1613920;topicseen#new
With this amp you can run 6550 and various KT range tubes.
If you can afford 4 output tubes this the amp right to get rich tubular harmonics.
« Last Edit: 17 Jun 2017, 11:01 am by FullRangeMan »

Bigfishhk

« Reply #9 on: 16 Jun 2017, 11:33 pm »
Lance, sorry to throw cold water on your plans, but maybe this may help you to make a better choice:
Digital and Class D amps are not characterized by rich harmonics in the range of the audible spectrum, but for transparency, neutrality and sheer power, some are even cold according the speaker and cables used.

SMT what you need is a Single Ended tube amp with a big EI OPT.
In this range I suggest a KT150 SE amp that will delivery about 20W in Triode.
Or if you need huge power there is a great amp here in the Trade Circle for $2850:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=150362.msg1613920;topicseen#new
With this amp you can run 6550 and various KT range tubes.
If you can afford 4 output tubes this the amp right to get rich tubular harmonics.

Your suggestion sounds great but overkill for me. I am considering the SPhinx for a second system in bedroom which needs to be simple and cost effective. My Rogue tube separates are powering my main system well.
I will look for an integrated, probably not tubes, but something on the warmer side of neutral.
I may try the SPhinx anyhow and sell it if it's not synergistic.