Electric Bill increase with keeping amp on

rickmusicman

Electric Bill increase with keeping amp on
« on: 14 Jun 2017, 02:36 am »
 I am waiting for my Khartago Amp to be built, hoping I will get it in the next 2 weeks. Klaus mentioned to keep the amp on all the time, so I am wondering if the owners of Odessey amps are doing this, and if so has your electric bill increased a lot? Thanks

JackD

Re: Electric Bill increase with keeping amp on
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jun 2017, 03:04 am »
Yes always on with four different models and no never noticed any real increase.

audioguy213

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jun 2017, 04:11 am »
unplug your fridge to compensate,
(only during listening sessions)

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jun 2017, 04:17 am »
My running a Forte 4a amplifier (stereo 50 watts/channel, high bias to class A, added $8 a month on my electric bill back in the 1990's

I leave all my stereo on 24/7/365 now, and my bill is about $65/mo without any air conditioning in my 1 bedroom apartment. (air left at 79F adds from $10 June, September, to $20 a month July August.)
Going from compact fluorescent to LED dropped my bill about $10 a month in 2016.

A lot depends on the idle wattage used. (how much the bias is toward class A)
Plus the heat generated has to be cleared by the air conditioning in Summer.

If it seems too much, one way to find a compromise is to turn it on the night before listening, and leave it off if not listening for several days.

I am retired and listen every day for many hours. So 100% on is my plan.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jun 2017, 11:28 am »
Why not just calculate the cost for yourself?  Example:

365.25 days per year x 20 hours a day (assuming you listen 4 hours a day) x 0.050 kilowatts (assumed 50 watts idle power use) x $0.12/kWh (assumed cost per kilowatt per hour, check your electric bill to determine actual rate) = $43.80 per year (plus cost to run air conditioning, minus cost savings to run space heating). 

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #5 on: 14 Jun 2017, 01:59 pm »
Just to note:  My Bryston 4B-SST² idles at 170 watts (by comparison the new Bryston 4B³ idles using 70 watts or so)
On the other hand, the Khartago Amp idles at 30 watts per the posted specs.

A_shah

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jun 2017, 04:42 pm »
Why not just calculate the cost for yourself?  Example:

365.25 days per year x 20 hours a day (assuming you listen 4 hours a day) x 0.050 kilowatts (assumed 50 watts idle power use) x $0.12/kWh (assumed cost per kilowatt per hour, check your electric bill to determine actual rate) = $43.80 per year (plus cost to run air conditioning, minus cost savings to run space heating).
this makes a lot more sense ! I have solar panels and my average cost goes down to about $0.11 Cents per KWH I leave  all my audio  systems on. -  idle   24 /7  So far don't see any significance  difference in my electric bill ,  now that may all change when my new Odyssey Kismet in Stratos comes in at the end of this week !

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jun 2017, 12:08 am »
Yes..figure appr. the equivalent of a 30 W light bulb...should be < $ 4./month  in most markets...

rickmusicman

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jun 2017, 07:12 pm »
Thanks everyone for your replies. Klaus, did you get my email with the average voltage and all? Thanks Rick

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jun 2017, 11:25 pm »
got it