Bringing out the details??

DSkip

• Industry Participant
Re: Bringing out the details??
« Reply #20 on: 7 Jun 2017, 10:10 pm »
Sonus Faber speakers are laid back, that's how they are voiced and that's how they sound.  If you want more details, you'll need a fairly aggressive, forward sounding amp with a lot of power and grunt.

The Venere break from that traditional SF sound quite a bit actually.  Their tone is more in line with my preferences and are my favorite 'listenable' SF.  I find the Venere series to be more forward and have a little more sparkle on top (these are different characteristics).  I have been told the Olympia III follows this sound signature some as well but have not had the opportunity to hear it yet.

As Elizabeth pointed out, you need to give those speakers some time to break in.  There is also the possibility that the new system simply does not synergize with the new speakers, but you can't figure that out until the speakers have had enough time to properly work into their 'designed' state.

it could also boil down to a completely different presentation and the adjustment is just too much to take in at a single time.  Initial observations are often difficult to fully grasp because they generally vary so much from YOUR norm in reproduction.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #21 on: 7 Jun 2017, 10:19 pm »
Oh, I missed that they were so new.  Yes, break in is the first priority before making any changes.

OzarkTom

« Reply #22 on: 8 Jun 2017, 01:11 am »
Try a Burson Cable + Pro between the digital front end and your pre. Price is 199, but I would pay $500+ for this amount of detail.

marksas

« Reply #23 on: 8 Jun 2017, 01:12 am »
The Venere break from that traditional SF sound quite a bit actually.  Their tone is more in line with my preferences and are my favorite 'listenable' SF.  I find the Venere series to be more forward and have a little more sparkle on top (these are different characteristics).  I have been told the Olympia III follows this sound signature some as well but have not had the opportunity to hear it yet.

As Elizabeth pointed out, you need to give those speakers some time to break in.  There is also the possibility that the new system simply does not synergize with the new speakers, but you can't figure that out until the speakers have had enough time to properly work into their 'designed' state.

it could also boil down to a completely different presentation and the adjustment is just too much to take in at a single time.  Initial observations are often difficult to fully grasp because they generally vary so much from YOUR norm in reproduction.

Good info...you said it, completely different presentation.  I bought the current EMO amps really just to try them out, being pretty inexpensive, but I ended up liking how they worked with the Tektons, the jury is still out whether they're right for the Veneres

marksas

« Reply #24 on: 8 Jun 2017, 01:20 am »
Try a Burson Cable + Pro between the digital front end and your pre. Price is 199, but I would pay $500+ for this amount of detail.

Cool I'll look into thanks.  My first thought though is that it won't be possible in my setup.  I stream over ethernet to a Sonore MicroRendu which connects to the DAC via USB. 

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #25 on: 8 Jun 2017, 01:50 am »
If no one has suggested playing with speaker positioning in general, and toe-in specifically, look at that.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #26 on: 8 Jun 2017, 04:49 am »
I experienced a decrease in resolution with the Burson Cable+, so personally it would not be an option I'd consider before I've explored other options.

marksas

« Reply #27 on: 11 Jun 2017, 01:45 am »
Theoretical question...would using balanced outputs from a DAC to amp rather unbalanced RCA help offset the lower sensitivity of the speakers?  From what I've read, balanced outputs can be as much as 6db more than unbalanced. 

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #28 on: 11 Jun 2017, 02:34 am »
Theoretical question...would using balanced outputs from a DAC to amp rather unbalanced RCA help offset the lower sensitivity of the speakers?  From what I've read, balanced outputs can be as much as 6db more than unbalanced.

NO. the sensitivity and detail are part of the speaker. Adding more gain (6db) will not retrieve detail at lower SPL.
Generally to get the greater detail the speakers have to be playing louder (than you used to like)
So the idea of chasing other ways to gain detail make sense. Not just increasing the gain without playing any louder. (basically then you are just turning DOWN the volume knob more to play atthe same level as prior to adding gain...)

DSkip

• Industry Participant
« Reply #29 on: 11 Jun 2017, 03:42 am »
Good info...you said it, completely different presentation.  I bought the current EMO amps really just to try them out, being pretty inexpensive, but I ended up liking how they worked with the Tektons, the jury is still out whether they're right for the Veneres

I believe (not having heard Tekton) that you may have more transparent speakers now and there might be something with the Emotiva amps they are exposing.  One of my favorite products is the Dayens Ampino integrated.  While it is a stellar little amp, generally the more high end the speaker gets, the more you realize its shortcomings.  It isn't a slap on the amp - it just is what it is.  Nobody would ever expect a $500 integrated to beat those costing 5-10 times, but it can hang with them toe to toe as long as the speaker doesn't completely outclass the amp.

With any new speaker purchase, you are likely going to have to go through the entire 'synergy' spectrum again.  You cannot compare a speaker to a speaker, or any component to a component because their applications, strengths, and weaknesses may vary greatly.  It is the system as a whole you have to compare and you don't have your Venere system dialed in yet.

MttBsh

« Reply #30 on: 11 Jun 2017, 03:44 am »
I experienced a decrease in resolution with the Burson Cable+, so personally it would not be an option I'd consider before I've explored other options.

Interesting that some claim - after hearing dozens of high end cables - the Burson Cable+/Cable+ Pro is the finest they've ever heard while others find it to be mediocre at best. I know these different reviewers are sincere and honest and took the time to report their findings. Is our individual hearing so different? Is it a matter of taste/preference? Just curious.

DSkip

• Industry Participant
« Reply #31 on: 11 Jun 2017, 03:53 am »
Interesting that some claim - after hearing dozens of high end cables - the Burson Cable+/Cable+ Pro is the finest they've ever heard while others find it to be mediocre at best. I know these different reviewers are sincere and honest and took the time to report their findings. Is our individual hearing so different? Is it a matter of taste/preference? Just curious.

Taste, preference, room, system, tested material, and a plethora of other reasons.  A review is only as good as its relation to you.  If you can relate to the reviewer, it should make it easier to 'trust' his opinion.  Figure this out by looking at previous and current gear they have gone through and their thoughts on the pieces.

marksas

« Reply #32 on: 11 Jun 2017, 12:27 pm »
I believe (not having heard Tekton) that you may have more transparent speakers now and there might be something with the Emotiva amps they are exposing.  One of my favorite products is the Dayens Ampino integrated.  While it is a stellar little amp, generally the more high end the speaker gets, the more you realize its shortcomings.  It isn't a slap on the amp - it just is what it is.  Nobody would ever expect a $500 integrated to beat those costing 5-10 times, but it can hang with them toe to toe as long as the speaker doesn't completely outclass the amp.

With any new speaker purchase, you are likely going to have to go through the entire 'synergy' spectrum again.  You cannot compare a speaker to a speaker, or any component to a component because their applications, strengths, and weaknesses may vary greatly.  It is the system as a whole you have to compare and you don't have your Venere system dialed in yet.

Don't tempt with that Dayens!  I looked seriously at that little amp a while ago and was considering it but thought it might be a little too edgy with the Tektons possibly, now though it might work really well with the Sonus Fabers.  The issue is that i would like a bit more functionality/features like, a remote, pre-outputs for a subwoofer connection, and would like to have a HT Bypass option so I don't have to keep swapping speaker cables each time i use the 2 ch system or the multi channel system.  The old Krell integrated actually has this feature via switchable jumper on the circuit board.  However, i've also been looking for a small form factor amp to use in my office with my DIY Overnight Sensations, the Dayens would fit the bill I think. 

I'm getting more used to the Sonus Fabers now and they are breaking in quite nice, but still want to try other amps and or preamps.  The other influencing factor if/when i make a change would be the DAC.  The Emotiva PT-100 has an internal DAC, but with a different integrated amp in place like the Dayens, Krell, etc, I'd be using an Arcam irDAC that i still have. 

Anyways, at some point this week i'll be trying out the Krell KAV-300i integrated, I'll report back results.

marksas

« Reply #33 on: 11 Jun 2017, 01:35 pm »
Another question, at risk of sparking debate, in general is better to bi-wire or is the concencus that it makes no difference?

Elizabeth

« Reply #34 on: 11 Jun 2017, 03:57 pm »

Yes, our individual tastes and likes and things we each find to be important are far more the criterion we each use.. Besides the variations in rooms and the jumble of equipment tossed in.

The key thing in audiophilia is KNOW YOURSELF. This means knowing what things in the music really matter, and which things do not, TO YOU.
I have often mentioned the treble matters a lot to me, and the bass not so much. Clarity matters, and even frequency response across the range not so much. For some other folks these statements amount to blasphemy. Why should I care?
Anyway, the corollary is to KNOW what the reviewer thinks matters.
SO, for the cable in question.. if you agree, and agree on other things with the reviewer, then that person may be a little like you. If you disagree, then I suggest you skip that persons reviews.

mca

« Reply #35 on: 11 Jun 2017, 04:07 pm »
Go to Audiogon and get yourself a pair of Clear Day solid silver speaker cables. Paul has a 30 day money back guarantee and the cables are inexpensive. I had a good long chat with him and have a pair heading my way this week.

Elizabeth

« Reply #36 on: 11 Jun 2017, 04:07 pm »
Another question, at risk of sparking debate, in general is better to bi-wire or is the concencus that it makes no difference?

There iS NO consensus about biwiring. Like all cable matters, the mention of another wire thing will certainly bring out the arguments.
SO all I would say is some folks say it matters, some say it is all smoke and mirrors. Some say only separate sets of wires works, others that the split pairs within a single cable wit multiple condutors is OK.
This is all like herding cats.

For myself, I use two sets of Kimber 8TC to bi wire my Magnepan 3.6. The difference is rather small, fo me, between single and biwire. Part of my reason for biwiring, is I wanted the newer clear/white 8TC, so I use the new white/clear 8TC for the upper, and the old blue/black 8TC for the bass. just because I own them...
When I buy some new 20,7 Magnepan, they are single wire only speakers. So I will use a single wire with no whimpering.

Another double thing is biamping. Usually the folks who want to biamp are newbies. biamping is way more complex than buying a second amp. And should be avoided except by well seasoned audiophiles who understand the pitfalls of biamping.

charmerci

« Reply #37 on: 11 Jun 2017, 07:44 pm »

I've just received a pair for review and frankly, I think Armaegis may have just gotten a bad pair. They sound fine. (I'll be posting a review in a couple of days.)

marksas

« Reply #38 on: 11 Jun 2017, 08:08 pm »
Go to Audiogon and get yourself a pair of Clear Day solid silver speaker cables. Paul has a 30 day money back guarantee and the cables are inexpensive. I had a good long chat with him and have a pair heading my way this week.

Already have a pair!  Paul is a great guy.  I was thinking of getting another pair to bi-wire the sonus fabers. 

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #39 on: 11 Jun 2017, 10:09 pm »
I've just received a pair for review and frankly, I think Armaegis may have just gotten a bad pair. They sound fine. (I'll be posting a review in a couple of days.) [/font][/size]

I'm sure my Cable+ works just fine. I simply did not hear an improvement when paired with my good sources, and felt that a plain passive interconnect was better. Improved performance could be achieved if using a battery power supply for the Cable+, but at that point why cobble together something when you'd be better off just getting an active preamp instead.

When connected directly to a phone or my motherboard headphone jack (both of which are lousy), then the Cable+ did seem to make a difference. In that case, the active buffer helped linearize and lower distortion from the crappy source output stage.