JRiver compression question

charmerci

JRiver compression question
« on: 1 Jun 2017, 04:15 pm »
When setting the compression level to down load a CD (into FLAC) - there is a range of choice of compression (Tools>Options>Encoder) from 0 to 8. Six is recommended. Is there a sound difference on any of these? Why the choice? What audio differences are there , if any?

Thanks.

srb

Re: JRiver compression question
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jun 2017, 05:44 pm »
The sound should be the same at any compression level assuming the hardware can handle the processing overhead.

0 = no compression (and no decompression required on playback) but gives you FLAC tagging and compatibility with full uncompressed file size equivalent to WAV or AIFF

0 = lowest compression level and resulting largest file size

8 = highest compression level and resulting smallest file size

Most modern hardware can handle any decompression level with no problem, but some very low power processors or older hardware may have problems with higher compression levels which could possibly adversely affect the sound.
« Last Edit: 8 Jun 2017, 11:58 am by srb »

zoom25

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2017, 05:58 pm »
If you have the space, then go uncompressed and not think about it ever again. WAV with tagging is my pick.

charmerci

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jun 2017, 10:52 pm »
Thanks!  :thumb:

Mike-48

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jun 2017, 04:35 pm »
Most modern hardware can handle any decompression level with no problem, but some very low power processors or older hardware may have problems with higher compression levels which could possibly adversely affect the sound.

I agree with that. Also, be aware that tagging FLAC files is pretty standard, while WAV files weren't originally intended to store metadata with the music. I prefer to store metadata in the music file (rather than a player program's catalog files), and I prefer FLAC -- with my hardware, I don't hear any significant difference; I appreciate knowing that the tags are not dependent on the player's maintaining its library; and FLAC takes up a lot less disk space, which is not so important on a NAS, but can be important on a laptop or other small device.

richidoo

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jun 2017, 06:55 pm »
I once compared wav to flac (level 5 compression) on several well recorded tracks using Squeezebox3 as the decoder. I could hear a slight difference in the treble, the wav sounded slightly better. I blamed the SB3, not flac for the loss in fidelity, glad to read others share the same opinion of the cause.

At a given processor speed it takes longer to compress at level8 but you get smaller file size. Since hard drives are so cheap now, <$100/3TB there is less reason to compress. And carrying a portable player full of music is obsolete compared to a cellphone streaming Spotify or Tidal. But there are songs that will never be online so flac still useful for that. I use level 5.

I did not know that flac level 0 was uncompressed, Thanks!

Vincent Kars

• The Well Tempered Computer
    • The Well Tempered Computer
« Reply #6 on: 8 Jun 2017, 11:13 am »
I did not know that flac level 0 was uncompressed, Thanks!

I'am afraid this is not true
0-8 are the standard FLAC compression levels
A simple test, convert a WAV to FLAC with compression "0" in JRiver will tell you that even 0 compresses the audio.
They only tool I know that can do uncompressed FLAC is dBpoweramp
http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/Flac.htm

srb

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jun 2017, 11:54 am »
I'm afraid this is not true.  A simple test, convert a WAV to FLAC with compression "0" in JRiver will tell you that even 0 compresses the audio.

Of course you're right.  I thought JRiver also offered zero compression conversion FLAC like dBpoweramp.  Sorry.  :oops: