The OTHER best $150 to $200 appliance for your kitchen! Instant Pot!

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
Forget your Crock Pot, try one of these. This isn't your grandma's pressure cooker.
Extremely easy to use and works a treat. It really is quite something. Tonight I used it to steam a basket of two salmon fillets, mushrooms and asparagus ... in 3 minutes!
I've used it for chili, stews and soups, all made in a fraction of the time. All delicious! Yogurt too, delicious. Bangers and mash anyone? No problem. And it makes the best brown rice I've ever tasted in half the the time.
Steam release is manual (safe and quick) or natural (slow and effective).

From Amazon:
"It speeds up cooking by up to 2-6 times using 70% less energy while producing nutritious, healthy and tasty dishes with consistent results. It replaces 7 common kitchen appliances - pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice/porridge cooker, yogurt maker, sauté/searing, steamer, and warmer; and, built with 14 Smart Programs - Soup, Meat/Stew, Bean/Chili, Poultry, Sauté, Steam, Rice, Porridge, Multigrain, Yogurt, Slow Cook, Keep Warm, and Pressure Cook – Your favorite recipes are as easy as pressing a button. Dual pressure settings for fast and flexible cooking, 3 temperatures for Sauté and Slow Cook, a 24-hour “Delay Start” for delay cooking, and, “Automatic Keep Warm” hold the temperature of the food until you serve. The cooker generates almost no noise and leaks no steam; aromas are trapped in the food without heating up the kitchen. The 3-ply stainless steel inner pot bottom is extremely durable and leaves no health concerns associated with non-stick coatings."

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Bluetooth-Multi-Use-Programmable/dp/B00N310CKG/ref=sr_1_3?s=appliances&ie=UTF8&qid=1496018130&sr=1-3&keywords=Quick+pot

witchdoctor

I got Wolfgang Picks version and use it every day, everyone should have one. :thumb:

Brettio

A few months ago my wife bought one of those. She doesn't cook often (or in the past cook well), but this has become a staple in the kitchen and has greatly improved the quality of the food coming out of it on her cook nights.  If you've got the storage and counter space for one I'd say go for it.

Don_S

How well does it work for long grain brown rice?  Is it faster than a rice cooker?  Several of my dishes start out with cooked brown rice but I never seem to remember to cook the rice in time to get my meal finished when I want.  :duh:

One thing I like about making chili or soup in a large pot is the pot becomes the storage container.  With the IP it seems like another container would be needed or buy an expensive extra inner pot plus lid.

witchdoctor

How well does it work for long grain brown rice?  Is it faster than a rice cooker?  Several of my dishes start out with cooked brown rice but I never seem to remember to cook the rice in time to get my meal finished when I want.  :duh:

One thing I like about making chili or soup in a large pot is the pot becomes the storage container.  With the IP it seems like another container would be needed or buy an expensive extra inner pot plus lid.

Mine takes 6 minutes to cook any kind of rice perfectly. This is not a storage container, use tupperware.

Johnny2Bad

I have a similar unit, a Breville "The Fast Slow Cooker Pro". Nice unit, works great, sized right for me (6 QT). Retail is about $US 250 MSRP. It gets rated highly in reviews and on Amazon, although I didn't buy it over the Instant Pot because of that, it was one of my available rewards in my Air Miles program.

Air Miles BV is something we have here in Canada, not available in the US, it's not airline-specific but instead you get points, they're worth 10cents each, as a loyalty program from retailers, or some MC cards and also Amex. You can spend them on package vacations, just airline only, or merchandise, I collect about 2500 a year just buying the same groceries and prescriptions I would anyway without using a Credit Card. Based on the points I redeemed it cost me $C 240 ($US 178) tax and delivery in.

Maybe I'm unusual, but one thing I don't use it for is cooking rice. I have always been able to get perfect results on the stovetop and it's not worth it to me to start experimenting just to save a few minutes. I make two kinds, one for eating with the day's meal and another slightly dryer version to store in the 'fridge for authentic stir fried rice dishes. I can also make a killer "sticky rice" for sushi or Dim Sum recipes although I don't make either much at home.

If you haven't tried it yet, I recommend steaming your ribs in a device like this instead of boiling as some recipes recommend before you slap them on the Bar-B-Q. Once they're steamed just use your regular grill recipe or marinade. Totally awesome results, super tender and flavourful. Better than I have had in restaurants. Try it.

https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BPR700BSS-Fast-Quart-Silver/dp/B013I40R8E/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=appliances&ie=UTF8&qid=1496079477&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=Breville+%22The+Fast+Slow+Cooker+Pro%22

If anyone is interested, Amazon USA currently (29 May 2017) has a refurb of this model for $US 170.

ctviggen

I agree, the Instant Pot is awesome. We use it for all kings of meals, including chili (last night).  Nom Nom Paleo has some great recipes with it. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
I agree.  Love mine.  Use it mainly to make greek style yogurt.  Around here, Fage greek yogurt goes for $5 for 500ml, or $10 a liter.  I can put a gallon of milk into the instant pot, make the yogurt, strain it, and end up with more than a liter of greek yogurt for less than $2.  Nice.