AVA at Audio Society of Minnesota

avahifi

AVA at Audio Society of Minnesota
« on: 17 May 2017, 02:18 pm »
We had an attentive and great crowd for our presentation.

We used our Philharmonic Three speakers, UTurn Orbit TT with Longhorn Grado with 8MZ stylus, our new DAC MK Five connected via USB to a Macbook computer and a 2T hard drive full of music.  Used JRiver Media Center to play 44/16 ,96/24, 192/24, DSD 64 and DSD 128 files interchangeably with zero drama.  Our Fet Valve CF vacuum tube preamp was sourced from the DAC and the phono setup.  The preamp was driving our new DVA 4/2 amplifier in the high power stereo mode.  All cables were Bluejeans cables.  The setup was VERY quiet.

We also had a second set of electronics so the many interested members could see the insides.  We also passed around our Vision Q phono preamp cover off so they could see that build configuration too.  The Fet Valve CF had a built in Vision Q phono section so the free standing one was not needed for the live presentation.

It was a really fun evening.

Frank

Art_Chicago

Re: AVA at Audio Society of Minnesota
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2017, 03:01 pm »
Frank

Are those standard Philharmonic 3's? If I remember correctly  Dennis Murphy tried to make a pair with Exotica drivers for you, but these look like they have  ribbon tweeters.

Thanks!

avahifi

« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2017, 05:51 pm »
These are the Phily 3s with the standard tops.  I have the Seas Exotic tops too, but they just don't have the top end clarity of the originals.  A failed and costly experiment.

Frank

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2017, 01:57 am »
Dear Frank,
  In Audio Basics you would give the heads up to a component even if you were not selling it. When you just mentioned the gear in the audio meeting you mentioned the Uturn Orbit table. Is that up to  your standards and have you done any tweeks like on the ARXA?......thanks....Mark Korda

dB Cooper

« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2017, 02:37 am »
I had some of the same questions (knowing Frank has seen a TT or two in his day) and he commented in the other thread:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=150324.msg1608526#new