Burson Cable+_The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

OzarkTom

• Industry Participant
Burson Cable+_The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
« on: 25 Apr 2017, 02:11 am »
I need to apologize to Burson for this late review. Burson sent me this cable over abot two months ago, and I have been so busy at my framing shop to write anything. I chose the version R2R to run from my digital source to my Itube2. Burson says most interconnects that we use today is a 1940 design and their Cable+ is a new design to help match the impudence of our components.

I have always heard impedance matching is a must if you want your components sound their best. However, for me, I have no idea how that can be accomplished unless you use components from the same brand, or use an all in one integrated with a built in DAC.

The Ugly

Well, it is not the most good looking cable I have ever seen. The cable is thin but flexible, it acts like a wet noodle. The connectors are also very small, so if looks and impressing your friends with an expensive attractive cable, you can stop reading this review now.

The Bad

I do not see a version of balanced, so those that have to have balanced, can stop reading now. Price is $150, many here will not take the Cable+ as a serious cable. Many believe you have to spend 500+, to get a good sounding cable. There is a wire you have to plug in for the 5v power or you will not get any sound. That could also be a problem.

The Good

I have listened to a lot of cables in my 40 years+ in the audio world, but have never experienced what I hear with this Burson Cable+. I had a lot of 100-600 dollar
interconnects, the Burson is the most detailed and clear than any others I have ever heard. In only 30 seconds, I knew I had a winner.

In 5 minutes I got on the phone with my buddy Rex.

Rex, Rex, I have found the most detailed interconnect of all.

I am sure he thought I was nuts, so it was quite a few days before he decided to order one. Rex just got his new Omega 3HO's in last month and was thoroughly enjoying those. I decided I would order another set the same day, but scared that the second pair would make my system sound too detailed, too sharp.

Rex ordered his from the factory in Australa, I ordered mine from Amazon. I received mine just one day before Rex received his. Rex is using the Sony music player into the DAC SMT and is a very detailed system. Rex complained it sounded a little transistory, but after 24 hours, that went away. Rex also laughed at the connectors, but now says it the Burson is far more clear and detailed that he has ever owned. Rex has probably owned 3-4 times more cables than I have owned.

If you are a detailed freak, especially on vocals, you will love trying these in your system.  Burson has a 30 day money back trial, so if they do not work for you, send them back.

I almost forgot, my second pair added a slight more detail, so not too much.. I did notice a slight improvement in smoothness. These cables actually made a bigger improvement than my Itube2 did, but don't tell Pez that  I feel the ITube2 and the Burson Cable+ together has taken my system up to another level. Sounds  like I bought a whole different system.

I am currently running Sony Music Serer-Burson Cable+-Ifi Itbe2-Burson Cable+-DAC Cherry Mono amps-Zellaton Emotion Speakers. The system disappears with a huge soundstage. I also tried a EL-84 SET amp with the same results.

Will this improve every system? I doubt it, but it is worth trying if you like detail.
The first cable made the biggest difference. If 1K+ cables sound this good, I now see why they buy them.

Thank you  Burson, I never thought this was ever possible.

Dadbeh

Re: Burson Cable+_The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2017, 02:24 am »
could you post some pictures of them in action?

what other interconnects have you used?

thanks for the writeup!

MttBsh

« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2017, 03:55 am »
Thanks Tom for the review, it's pretty exciting to read that a $150 I/C can outperform every one you've used in the past.

I also just read a fellow Audio Circle member's recent review http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=149349.msg1597308#msg1597308 and he found the Burson cable+ consistently underperformed the I/C he had been using. Can system differences really account for such completely different findings? (like the fact that he was plugging this "impedance matching" cable into a passive preamp?).

I trust your ears and will probably give this cable a try in my system. Thanks again for the write-up!

OzarkTom

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2017, 01:50 pm »
Thanks Tom for the review, it's pretty exciting to read that a $150 I/C can outperform every one you've used in the past.

I also just read a fellow Audio Circle member's recent review http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=149349.msg1597308#msg1597308 and he found the Burson cable+ consistently underperformed the I/C he had been using. Can system differences really account for such completely different findings? (like the fact that he was plugging this "impedance matching" cable into a passive preamp?).

I trust your ears and will probably give this cable a try in my system. Thanks again for the write-up!

Burson has shipped quite a few of these cables out for reviews and 80-90% has been very positive. That shows how confident Burson has in their cable.

I will try and get some pics up later.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2017, 03:41 pm »
Isn't this a powered buffer amplifier with attached cables?

OzarkTom

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 5 May 2017, 10:14 pm »
Just a heads-up, Burson is raising  the price to $199 on May 15. The cable is now  called the +Pro with better connectors and the cable is red. To get the 149 price, you might want to email them.

I have noticed a lot more bass and detail with this cable-buffer.

They are also selling the cable w/o buffer for 59 bucks until May 15. 69 after May 15.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #6 on: 6 May 2017, 01:45 am »
Amazon still has a few of the cable+ at $149 price. I ordered the R2R version to try out.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #7 on: 6 May 2017, 01:54 am »
Just a heads-up, Burson is raising  the price to $199 on May 15. The cable is now  called the +Pro with better connectors and the cable is red. To get the 149 price, you might want to email them.

I have noticed a lot more bass and detail with this cable-buffer.

They are also selling the cable w/o buffer for 59 bucks until May 15. 69 after May 15.

Tom-

What power supply are you using on the Burson?

OzarkTom

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 6 May 2017, 03:01 am »
Tom-

What power supply are you using on the Burson?

I am using the factory provided USB power cord plugged into my Furitech power condictioner.

OzarkTom

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 21 Jun 2017, 02:25 am »

Here is my new Pro+, and quite a bit better than the + model. My buddy Rex thinks it is almost twice as good. The + connectors slid on too easily, these connectors you have to force on. Much more detail and a larger soundstage.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Where Home demo rules
« Reply #10 on: 6 Jul 2017, 06:14 pm »
  More detail scares me. Todays music is over detailed enough.  What to you mean by more?  More than natural ? More than previous cable ? I ordered a pair of RCA+ to check out so I will know later.
  Hopefully no crisp top end, bright top end or over detailed.

charles

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Where Home demo rules
« Reply #11 on: 6 Jul 2017, 06:16 pm »
There is some talk of using a battery for the USB power. Any battery ? What battery ? Thanks in advance.

charles

OzarkTom

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 6 Jul 2017, 11:10 pm »
  More detail scares me. Todays music is over detailed enough.  What to you mean by more?  More than natural ? More than previous cable ? I ordered a pair of RCA+ to check out so I will know later.
  Hopefully no crisp top end, bright top end or over detailed.

charles

No, not too much. I was scared about that also. I cannot stand bightness at all.

More info without going over the top.

charmerci

« Reply #13 on: 7 Jul 2017, 01:22 am »
Don't forget - if anyone wants to hear a pair - or two! - Tom and I have a set for anyone to borrow.