Loving the new stereo setup on my PC

gregcss

Loving the new stereo setup on my PC
« on: 22 Apr 2017, 06:00 pm »
Depending how you classify this, per thread rules, I may be violating them. I think this is a 'stereo' so I will go ahead and post.

I replaced my 12+ old setup with the following:

Emotiva Little Ego DAC ($99 closeout)
Emotiva Airmotiv B1 speakers ($300)
Emotiva A-100 Amp ($230)
Total: $630

$630 is a chunk of change but for a full setup that sounds awesome (in my opinion, ymmv) is a good deal.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Loving the new stereo setup on my PC
« Reply #1 on: 22 Apr 2017, 06:29 pm »
Oh no, you're completely within guidelines, it's been established that everyone here has a computer and using yours as a music source is perfectly fine.  Looks like a pretty sweet setup for six hundred and change, how does it compare to your former system?

gregcss

« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr 2017, 07:13 pm »
Oh no, you're completely within guidelines, it's been established that everyone here has a computer and using yours as a music source is perfectly fine.  Looks like a pretty sweet setup for six hundred and change, how does it compare to your former system?
Great, I like not breaking rules (sometimes  :icon_twisted::D
This replaced my Denon M30 bookshelf system. The new system is much improved across the board. Sounds are clearer and bass hits harder. I'm not good at reviewing audio components so I'll just go with that. Oh, also, if I crank it up it handles well. I am still using regular pandora and spotify so the source material isnt the best. For the old system - the headunit volume control was crap and had enough of that so I tossed it in the trash. I gave the mission speakers to goodwill.

jpm

« Reply #3 on: 22 Apr 2017, 08:02 pm »
Wow - what a neat and tidy desk. I hope my wife never sees this!

srb

« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2017, 08:28 pm »
What is that large rectangular desk pad?

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2017, 08:47 pm »
If it's feasible ad not too much trouble, you might want to experiment with the effect of positioning your desk across the corner instead of tucked in that way. As you have it, the right speaker gets a huge bass boost from the corner, plus there is not much room behind the speakers for the large rear ports to 'breathe'.

Symmetry is good in speaker positioning.

gregcss

« Reply #6 on: 22 Apr 2017, 09:00 pm »
What is that large rectangular desk pad?
Thanks for asking. It's a large "mouse" pad  :thumb:. I have the 36x18.

https://www.pcgamingrace.com/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NOCZTTI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Doublej

« Reply #7 on: 22 Apr 2017, 11:24 pm »

The guidelines are a bit of a mystery to me. If I read them correctly I get to spend up to $1000 for an unspecified stereo system but less if I am using a computer or a turntable as a source.

Would it make more sense to set a maximum per function maximum price (source, amplification, control, transducer) or a maximum price or a single source system independent of the number of components?

charmerci

« Reply #8 on: 23 Apr 2017, 12:37 am »
The guidelines are a bit of a mystery to me. If I read them correctly I get to spend up to $1000 for an unspecified stereo system but less if I am using a computer or a turntable as a source.

Would it make more sense to set a maximum per function maximum price (source, amplification, control, transducer) or a maximum price or a single source system independent of the number of components?

The facilitator says -

"Here's how I see it.  The rules say $1000 max limit with $200 wiggle room, with some sub limits on analog etc.  If you can convince a reasonable person that your special component combined with anything you can beg, borrow, or steal could possibly make a functioning audio system come in under the limit, you're in.  For example the $500 DAC thread could be combined with a $29 DVD player transport, a $50 chip amp, and some Parts Express DIY speakers to come in way under the limit, therefore passed muster.  The same standard passed on to the sub system limits. "

Here - http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=71233.0

You can read the whole thread though -

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #9 on: 23 Apr 2017, 12:23 pm »

I agree, the guidelines were established slightly before absolutely everyone on the planet used their computer as a source, thus we have interpretations and exceptions.  However the central focus of C&C is to have fun on the cheap, so rather than rewrite the whole thing, we follow the spirit of its intent and apply a lot of wiggle room in regards to individual component pricing if the rest of the system complies in total. 

We've kicked around the idea of a rules rewrite and it's been tabled indefinitely because there's no consensus on what changes should be made, if any.  C&C is one of the most popular circles on AC, and when I took over for the original facilitator JohnR specifically stated no changes were to be made to the original premise, so any revisions would be in keeping with that edict.