Installing a hitch / U Haul / or diy?

stlrman

Installing a hitch / U Haul / or diy?
« on: 6 Apr 2017, 02:11 pm »
U Haul quoted me $360 for full install , wiring etc... is this an ok price?
My neighbor is a friend and very handy. How much to buy all the stuff , and have him install?
Is it safer to let U Haul do it?

rockadanny

Re: Installing a hitch / U Haul / or diy?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Apr 2017, 02:23 pm »
Were it me I'd prefer a place that either specializes in installing hitches or a place that sells trailers, such as horse trailers or campers.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #2 on: 6 Apr 2017, 03:14 pm »
Youtube has install videos of most hitch/vehicle combos and many have links to the hitch sellers.

Many vehicles already have a plug in place for towing purposes. Just plug in a pigtail and it is ready to go.

Installed a hitch and taillight hook up in 30 minutes on my Escape. Cost was around $125.

Doublej

« Reply #3 on: 6 Apr 2017, 03:17 pm »
For me it would depend on the difficulty of the install on the car  and how fastidious and competent your friend is vs. the U-haul shop.

I did mine myself. I watched a few youtube videos and read the online instruction from Curt Trailer hitches. The hardest part was I did not have a lift, making it a bit more challenging than if it was on a lift where one person could easily hold the hitch in place while the other person screwed it in place.

My install requiring cutting of plastic only. I borrowed a torque wrench from a friend to make sure everything was tightened according to the specs.

I did not install a harness because the hitch is used only for mounting a bike rack. If I wanted to install a harness I might have had someone do it just because I have great ability to snap plastic fasteners without intending to.

WC

« Reply #4 on: 6 Apr 2017, 03:24 pm »
What vehicle are you adding a hitch to? It costs more for some vehicles vs others.

We had a factory hitch installed on our Rav-4. It was not inexpensive, but in researching what was involved in the installation we decided to have the dealer do it. It required cutting the plastic on the bumper. It took the dealer more time than they expected.

Early B.

« Reply #5 on: 6 Apr 2017, 03:52 pm »
Consider buying the parts you need, then have UHaul install it. I did that last year on a Jeep Compass. Plastic bumper had to be cut, but I didn't need a harness. Total cost for everything was about $150. It's really a DIY job, but I didn't want to screw up cutting into my bumper.

WGH

« Reply #6 on: 6 Apr 2017, 04:44 pm »

I borrowed a torque wrench from a friend to make sure everything was tightened according to the specs.

Good point. I had a torque wrench when I installed a hitch on my jeep and those big bolts really needed to some force to torque them to spec, more than I would have used without the wrench.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #7 on: 6 Apr 2017, 05:19 pm »
I had a hitch installed on a Subaru years ago, and I remember there was welding involved, so I could not have done it DIY.

stlrman

« Reply #8 on: 6 Apr 2017, 05:44 pm »
Thanks gentleman! :thumb:
I actually lease the vehicle, so I better talk to Subaru first. 2015 Forester.
I found a very nice looking trailer on eBay for what I think is an awesome price considering the build quality. (Only $1195)
I thought this would be a great traveling billboard when we deck it out with our logos.
I am not buying anything yet of course. I will try renting a trailer from U - Haul . Cost is only about $20 a day for the smaller ones.
Here is the eBay unit :

stlrman

« Reply #9 on: 6 Apr 2017, 05:56 pm »
This would be instead of getting a minivan.
Anyone ever pull a trailer like this?? Is it pretty easy?

TomS

« Reply #10 on: 6 Apr 2017, 06:04 pm »
www.etrailer.com is great for installation advice and videos. I've done 4 CR-V's with Curt Class III hitches and wiring and other than cutting a plastic valence panel it was very easy, no jack needed. Their wiring kit is plug and play in that car too. I spent maybe 1-2 hours max.

Early B.

« Reply #11 on: 6 Apr 2017, 06:26 pm »
I actually lease the vehicle, so I better talk to Subaru first. 2015 Forester.

Be cautious about accepting verbal approval. Read over your lease agreement.