DAC

rif

• Not a cowboy
Re: DAC for $18.00
« Reply #20 on: 4 Apr 2017, 07:23 pm »
I'm still weary of this.  Doesn't smell right.  I'd want to use schiit's multibit tech, but according to their website it requires factory reprogramming

This upgrade changes any existing Bifrost or Bifrost Uber into Bifrost Multibit*, a radically different DAC...

For this upgrade, your Bifrost needs to have its motherboard firmware updated by us, or by an authorized service center such as Electromod in the UK. This requires a specific programming device with an RJ12 connector, as well as software. Because of this, there is no self-install option, sorry.

dB Cooper

« Reply #21 on: 5 Apr 2017, 02:35 am »
I didn't say it sounded bad, just no DSD or MQA.  DSD is ubiquitous in newer DACs and MQA is...available, so I expect Schiit to keep up with the times.

Well, I don't know about their plans (if any) re DSD, but....
http://schiit.com/news/news/why-we-wont-be-supporting-mqa

Doublej

« Reply #22 on: 5 Apr 2017, 10:53 am »
I'm still weary of this.  Doesn't smell right.  I'd want to use schiit's multibit tech, but according to their website it requires factory reprogramming

Smells fine to me. Used, earlier revisions of product in a rapidly changing space. You want the latest. That's cool but it's not likely to be found on e-bay and will cost you more than a few Hamiltons.

ClefChef

« Reply #23 on: 15 Apr 2017, 03:54 pm »
 :green:
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2017, 05:22 pm by ClefChef »