Need a new hand coffee grinder

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Need a new hand coffee grinder
« on: 23 Mar 2017, 09:00 pm »
My old one Hario broke after 15 months and roughly 500 cups.

Recommendations please?

roscoe65

Re: Need a new hand coffee grinder
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2017, 10:07 pm »
Its pricier than I like but the Lido 2 is pretty much as good as it gets.  It is far better than the Hario in every way but price.

JLM

« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2017, 11:55 am »
Wow, nice but pricey ($175).  Anything cheaper you'd suggest?

rbbert

« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2017, 12:23 pm »
I still think the Hario models offer the best price/performance ratio, although I admit I don't use them every day, often default to an electric grinder.

borism

« Reply #4 on: 24 Mar 2017, 12:34 pm »
What kind of coffee is the grinder for? For espresso you need something very different than for drip coffee. I am using an inexpensive Krups blade grinder for more then 20 years without problems for filter/drip coffee.

jaywills

« Reply #5 on: 24 Mar 2017, 01:31 pm »
I use this Kyocera:

https://www.amazon.com/Kyocera-CM-45CF-Ceramic-Coffee-Mill/dp/B000EFZKTC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1490362043&sr=8-3&keywords=kyocera+ceramic+coffee+grinder

It's very good, but I bought it when they were still selling for forty bucks or so several years ago.  Price has risen dramatically recently.  Good luck.  Cordially

roscoe65

« Reply #6 on: 24 Mar 2017, 01:43 pm »
Wow, nice but pricey ($175).  Anything cheaper you'd suggest?

I have a Baratza Encore that runs about $140.  It is an electric grinder but is far better than the Hario.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #7 on: 24 Mar 2017, 02:01 pm »
I just upgraded my Capresso Infinity, it's an electric burr grinder, probably the best of the "cheapies". $50 and it's yours.

RoadTripper

« Reply #8 on: 24 Mar 2017, 02:18 pm »
I had to plug my ears grinding coffee due to my hyper-acusis. I buy ground coffee. I can hear the difference between MP3 and FLAC but I can't tell any difference ground coffee and grinding my own. But then I know folks who roast their own beans.

JLM

« Reply #9 on: 24 Mar 2017, 02:56 pm »
I enjoy the extra flavor from fresh grinding.  I use an aero press.  Had an electric, but it was loud and a hassle as it often plugged.  I use a drip coffeemaker first thing, then make a nicer cup for an afternoon break.  Not a coffee freak, looking in the $20 range, maybe a bit higher if justified.  Found one on Amazon that has a nut to hold the lid/crank in place that would take care of my compliant with the Hario.

So any ideas please?

randytsuch

« Reply #10 on: 24 Mar 2017, 03:57 pm »
You could look for a used, vintage hand grinder  on ebay.

I used to know the brands but I have forgotten who made nice grinders.

Zassenhaus was one, but their vintage stuff is probably over you budget.

I think the ones made before WWII (or maybe in the 50s?) are supposed to be the best, although it is a bit of a gamble, and you may need to do some work to restore it.  But they are pretty simple, I cleaned a few up and it was easy.

BTW, Orphan started out by selling refurbished vintage grinders.  Then at some point they decided to make their own fancy ones, lol.

EDIT  Maybe something like this?  I can't vouch for the company, but made it germany is a good thing.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-KLINGENTHAL-GERMAN-WOODEN-COFFEE-GRINDER-MILL-sb-/391735796045?hash=item5b3545e14d:g:OPoAAOSwdGFY0rlc

Randy

borism

« Reply #11 on: 24 Mar 2017, 04:03 pm »
JLM, as you mentioned the one on Amazon for ~ $20 seems like a fairly good bet. It seems to be offered by many different companies and gets consistently good reviews.

This one comes with a "lifetime warranty":

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4FV58K/ref=psdc_14092841_t2_B01M5IXQ6G#CustomerImages

Not bad for this amount.

bentconvert

« Reply #12 on: 24 Mar 2017, 08:49 pm »
While checking out the Kyocera link above this one showed up in the "related products".

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013R3Q7B2?psc=1

No experience with it but the price is right and it has a rating of 4.5 with 1800+ reviews.

Looks very similar to the one Borism just linked to.

JLM

« Reply #13 on: 24 Mar 2017, 09:02 pm »
borism and bentconvert, those are more like it.  But neither have a means to keep the crank from coming off the shhaft.  My Hario fit very tightly (too tightly - that was the problem) to the shaft.  So was looking at this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M5IXQ6G?psc=1

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #14 on: 24 Mar 2017, 09:12 pm »
I bought a vintage unit from Ebay many years ago (but I use it to grind peppercorns).
The grind is adjustable, so you can have fine or course.
I can take a pic if you'd like, but it looks like it would belong in this family.
Note; if you do buy a used/vintage unit, you can run some uncooked rice through it to clean the blades.

JLM

« Reply #15 on: 24 Mar 2017, 10:07 pm »
Thanks for the tip Bob (probably good idea even for a new one).