Audio Blasphemy Confessions

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Audio Blasphemy Confessions
« Reply #20 on: 22 Mar 2017, 12:54 am »
As long as YOU are happy. You can sit, lay, stand on your head if that is what you want. Keep listening and enjoy. Nobody gave me a card to give back or chipped in on a purchase.  :P
You dont have an audiophile card? Ohh

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #21 on: 22 Mar 2017, 01:02 am »
GentleBender,

I can sell you an upgraded membership card for just $975.  Your music will sound so much better.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #22 on: 22 Mar 2017, 01:08 am »
I mean, no one's kicking you off the forum or anything, but you're at least a different kind of audiophile.  If you've put together a musical system that you listen to a little differently, yeah, I say you're an audiophile.  On the other hand, if your system came in one box, no, you're not an audiophile.  Various shades of grey in there of course, but its a framework for you to decide if you're an audiophile.  Do you feel like an audiophile?

I sit in the sweet spot for all of my serious listening, except when guests are listening, then I sit off to the side as you do.  I still find the system musically enjoyable, tapping my feet and playing the air drums.  I wouldn't stress about where you sit.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #23 on: 22 Mar 2017, 02:01 am »
I would like to be an musicphile and have happy days at no cost.
Being an audiophile cost me alot of money.

OBS.:Not to mention wrongs trys.
« Last Edit: 22 Mar 2017, 03:30 am by FullRangeMan »

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #24 on: 22 Mar 2017, 02:09 am »
I would like to be an musicphile and have happy days at no cost.
Being an audiophile cost me alot of money.

Me too FRM ,good music is more satisfying (even on lowfi) than audiophile gear.  :thumb:

quibus

« Reply #25 on: 22 Mar 2017, 09:22 am »
I also feel that I'm not a true audiophile, as I seem to lack that urge to achieve realism. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who is not much concerned about sitting in the sweet spot. If I can hear beautiful music playing in my house it doesn't matter if in the meantime I'm moving around and can hear it only around the corner in the other room.

However, I do like to have a good (adequate for audiophiles) system as that allows me to listen to good music without serious distortion. Audiophile discussions have helped me tremendously in separating the wheat from the chaff. I do appreciate good balance, clear imaging (in the sense that I can hear the various instruments), and quick transients (I believe that is the term used) as these do improve how the music comes across. But I suspect that true audiophiles look for the best possible system, while I'm happy to stop when the remaining improvement is too minimal for me to detect easily.   

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #26 on: 22 Mar 2017, 11:48 am »
If you spend significant amounts of your free time just listening for the utmost fidelity from recordings of music, you are an audiophile. 

All the rest (various forms of background/secondary listening, spending/owning/swapping lots of gear, simply loving music, and/or participating in the learning/creation of music) is optional and does not necessarily qualify you to be considered an audiophile.  Even the audio portion of A/V systems is secondary to the visual portion (is it not true that we "watch" a movie?).

When someone sits in "the sweet spot chair" and their eyes light up (from the solidification of the stereo images) they are, for the moment at least an audiophile.  IMO the production and recognition of the 3D stereo image is the entry point to audio (takes the right gear and the right ear for that to occur).  Everything else is just sound coming from "over there" and is little better than hearing a fancy clock radio or a car sound system.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #27 on: 22 Mar 2017, 04:59 pm »
    Labels labels. Love my music playing through devices that make it sound real to me. Audiophile ? Hobbyist, Music Lover. Who gives a flying fart.
    Oh "he is a tweaker" OMG what to do? Oh a "tubeman" no SS allowed, who cares. Enjoyment is personal. We all have our preferences for different music,  played loud, soft, and so on. To each his/her own.
    If whatever you enjoy in any fashion that's you, cool. Just do NOT force it on anyone. For me personally I love planars with hybrid amps, tubed preamp played through either a TT or DHT DAC. My brain leans towards correct tonality and especially harmonic structure.
    Now do I need my system alone to enjoy audio reproduction ? No. If some emotional impact is going on I'm in. ENJOY ! your music in any which way YOU desire.

charles

sts9fan

« Reply #28 on: 22 Mar 2017, 05:47 pm »
I buy expensive shit, put in in my system(s) and never really go back or compare to the old. 

charmerci

« Reply #29 on: 23 Mar 2017, 12:48 am »
I listen to music a lot - on anything, table-top radios, average car systems, portable players...

but when you have a fantastic recording with amazing artists, crank it up and that end of the room fills up with the performers just like they are there....

WOW! AWESOME! Fun, fun, fun! What a great experience!  :thumb:

I much more enjoy that than going to a pricey, super-loud with ordinary acoustics concert or an open mic to hear another mediocre-to-decent-to-good guitarist play an ordinary song.

Don't get me wrong, if they love music and love to play and can make money doing that, more power to them! It's just not my cup of tea. That's why I spend too much money (for me) on a nice system.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #30 on: 23 Mar 2017, 01:19 am »
What charmerci said!     :thumb:

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #31 on: 23 Mar 2017, 02:03 am »
« Last Edit: 27 Mar 2017, 01:04 pm by Bob2 »

JakeJ

« Reply #32 on: 23 Mar 2017, 02:06 am »
Great thread and great responses!

RoadTripper, enjoy your music in whatever way floats your boat.  I have what I consider to be an outstanding system that is playing background music about 60-70% of the time.  When I wish to listen to new music or evaluate a piece of gear there is a very nice recliner in the sweet spot.

The music comes first and the audio quality just enhances it.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #33 on: 23 Mar 2017, 02:08 am »
« Last Edit: 27 Mar 2017, 01:04 pm by Bob2 »

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #34 on: 23 Mar 2017, 02:23 am »
The best system I have ever had in my life is the one I have right now.

Every system that has preceded my current set up is audio blasphemy. Therefore, such is what I have.

If it wasn't for each and every prior piece, though, I wouldn't have what I have today. Which, of course, is blasphemous.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Play music; turn it up loud now and then. Play what you like. Revel in the blasphemy!

Have fun,

Jerry

JakeJ

« Reply #35 on: 23 Mar 2017, 03:18 am »
Bob2, thank you!

The best system I have ever had in my life is the one I have right now.

Every system that has preceded my current set up is audio blasphemy. Therefore, such is what I have.

If it wasn't for each and every prior piece, though, I wouldn't have what I have today. Which, of course, is blasphemous.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Play music; turn it up loud now and then. Play what you like. Revel in the blasphemy!

Have fun,

Jerry

And Jerry's post is as well stated.  Although I am guilty of sweating some small stuff.  :oops:

My latest system is capable of playing louder and cleaner (read as low distortion) than any previous system I have owned.  I have never experienced something like this before.  I have had the good fortune to experience the Seattle Symphony perform live and I can now achieve this level of sound quality.  It's really astonishing to have at home.  And yes, I still listen to it playing background music most of the time.  I am listening to my local classical FM station as I write this post.

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #36 on: 23 Mar 2017, 05:04 am »
I buy expensive shit, put in in my system(s) and never really go back or compare to the old.

no no you shouldn't do that,audiophiles make wise decisions when it comes to money,mind you if you keep doing that you'll break the bank... :thumb:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #37 on: 23 Mar 2017, 05:30 am »
RoadTripper,

Whatever works for you is just fine. There are no rules or obligations, hence no blasphemy or need to confess.

On another note, I had my first beer at 8 am this morning; mixed it with apple juice and it was delicious! 15 minutes later I cracked another one open and did the same.  :thumb:

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #38 on: 23 Mar 2017, 01:11 pm »
My sad truth is I expect everyone else to live by and follow MY personal rules. Sort of like I am the "Sheldon" (of "Big Bang") Audiophile.
Anyone who does not live up to MY rules is an idiot and a total fool. And naturally my rules are SECRET. SO I can cry foul and rant and rave internally over the slightest thing anytime at anyone ever.
If YOU violate MY rules, I will insult you endlessly in my own mind, but expect you to respect ME! Since I am Audiophile God in the Flesh.
And since I am above all of you, I hold my sarcasm and keep my secrets to myself. Just thinking of what awful fools and idiots I have to interact with.
I constantly can smirk at all of you , knowing I am so superior.

And since Audiophiles are totally incapable of understanding humor, sarcasm or irony... I expect to get lambasted for this post. LOL

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #39 on: 23 Mar 2017, 01:17 pm »
First blast:  Best post in this thread....hands down!  Hit all the weaknesses of audiophilia.  On point!
Hibuck...