Pi Peregrination 2017 - Technical/FAQ (C&C Tour)

WC

Re: Pi Peregrination 2017 - Technical/FAQ (C&C Tour)
« Reply #20 on: 21 May 2017, 01:48 am »
I am using a Pi3 running Volumio to a Schiit Modi DAC via USB. I have it setup as airport end point from iTunes. It seems to work fine.

JohnR

« Reply #21 on: 21 May 2017, 12:57 pm »
Hi WC, I was referring specifically to USB output with RoonBridge (not just on the RPi but other ARM7 boards as well... in my experience).

WC

« Reply #22 on: 21 May 2017, 07:59 pm »
Hi WC, I was referring specifically to USB output with RoonBridge (not just on the RPi but other ARM7 boards as well... in my experience).

I had heard that not all the Pi music software works the same. There could be an issue with RoonBridge. If I had experienced any issues with the USB when I first set it up I would have added a hat board with digital out and either bought a DAC with a Toslink/Coax connection or just ran it into my AVR receiver.

JohnR

« Reply #23 on: 23 May 2017, 03:07 pm »
Hi WC, I do suspect it is a RoonBridge issue but have not had time to look into it further. Perhaps there is something that needs to be tweaked in the ALSA driver settings or something. I haven't had issues with running the USB output with Volumio or RuneAudio (which is not anything to do with Roon in case the question arises for anyone).

[Edit: ALSA not ALSO :P ]
« Last Edit: 23 May 2017, 09:05 pm by JohnR »

Wayne1

« Reply #24 on: 28 May 2017, 03:17 am »
I currently have the tour Pi. With the installed software, I am also having a problem getting the unit to see my music files on my network.

It plays the files on the USB stick with no trouble and it sounds very good. I got in touch with JohnR to see if it would be okay if I tried some other software. He said no problem.

Right now I am running Ropieee to use the Pi as a Roon Bridge using the USB outputs.

Pez has loaned me his iFi Micro iDSD Black Label and the system is sounding very, very good. It is early days yet and I hope to try a few other variations.

For now, this combo may be very hard to beat.

Thanks for sending out the Pi and hats on tour.

JohnR

« Reply #25 on: 28 May 2017, 04:13 am »
Cool, thanks Wayne. I'll give Ropieee a try  :thumb:

For non-Roon networked playback, I recommend using minimserver rather than a direct mount, and a control app like Lumin, Kazoo or BubbleUPnP. I documented how to do this here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=148609.msg1589384#msg1589384

Wayne1

« Reply #26 on: 28 May 2017, 02:49 pm »
A quick update on Ropieee. I contacted the author of the software and asked about adding support for the Piano and Kali duo. This morning there was a new image available to download. I did so and installed it and the entire stack is now working, playing Roon.

I will probably try out some of the builds that support Logitech Media Server as well.

Thanks again. This is a lot of fun finding a low priced component that sounds very good and is easy to operate.

JohnR

« Reply #27 on: 2 Jun 2017, 05:54 pm »
Cool, great news about the Roon support  :thumb:

JakeJ

« Reply #28 on: 4 Sep 2017, 05:41 pm »
Hi John,

I am having an issue with the Pi and my display.  It's an older Samsung and I am seeing the boot-up and subsequent rune login which after a few seconds closes and the rune interface opens.  All the while the display is flashing the desktop over the left two-thirds of the area then the same desktop flashes over the right two-thirds.  Just flashes back and forth like that continually and there is a small rainbow square in the upper right hand corner of the rune interface slightly over and left of the "Menu" button.  Not sure what to do about this.

Also I connected a bluetooth keboard and mouse but that does not seem to work.  Does this require a touch-screen display?

Thanks,
Jake

megabigeye

« Reply #29 on: 4 Sep 2017, 11:03 pm »
Hi Jake,
I'm far from an expert, so take what I say with a grain of salt:
The rainbow square is an indication that the Raspberry Pi is underpowered.  The Piano/Kali combo requires a 5 Volt 3 amp (15W) PSU, but the one supplied supplies only 1.6 amps (which is only 8W)-- at least according to the ebay page.  I'm a little confused by that, since it's advertised as 15W.  Having the board underpowered like that is a recipe for corrupting the SD card, which is possibly why the monitor is flashing like that.
Also, I'm not familiar with Rune, but Volumio (for instance) isn't supposed to be compatible with a monitor.  You connect to it a browser on your laptop/desktop/iPhone/etc.  In your browser address bar, type "http://runeaudio.local".  In theory, that should bring up the "WebUI."

Also, the RPi 2 does not have built in Bluetooth.  So, unless you've plugged in a Bluetooth dongle, then it's got nothing to connect to.  And if you have connected a dongle, it's probably (possibly) drawing more power than it can handle.

Anyway, like I said, I'm no expert.  It's just my interpretation from my limited experience.  Take it as you will.

JakeJ

« Reply #30 on: 4 Sep 2017, 11:51 pm »
OK.  I think that is my my misunderstanding of how this works.  I assumed I needed to connect keyboard mouse and monitor to see the rune interface but it appears I am supposed to do that through a web browser on my PC?  Like a remote desktop?

The keyboard/mouse came with the USB dongle but I'll bet you are right, too much for the little Pi.  And if I am supposed to somehow remote into the Pi then I assume the computer I am using will provide the I/O capability to control rune.

I'll try starting over.

Tubeburner

« Reply #31 on: 5 Sep 2017, 12:54 am »
I am not part of the tour, but wanted to weigh in on the Raspberry Pi. I have the series 3 running Rune Music Server, but I am using it basically as a renderer. I have an iFi 5v power supply. I don't hear noise from the usb and I have compared this to the Sonore mRendu. I am still using JRiver as the server and can upsample to 24/352. It is very easy to set up and Rune has several user friendly settings. I thought Volumio was less dynamic IMO. So far, I am not a Roon fan yet. One thing I learned: Power surges will corrupt the sd card and you will need to reformat the card and reload the download. It is quite easy. I was leaving the Pi on all the time and the power company did some change work in the area. Now I shut the Pi down when I am done listening and unplug it. No issues.

Does anyone have a download for the Cubox i4 pro? Rune is still working on this one.

Enjoy!

JakeJ

« Reply #32 on: 5 Sep 2017, 01:30 am »
Update - Up and running!  Listening to the onboard NIN right now.  Exploring the interface in an attempt to access more music.

Thanks, megabigeye, for helping.  Thanks to JohnR for doing this.  It's pretty cool!

JakeJ

« Reply #33 on: 5 Sep 2017, 01:55 am »
So far using USB sticks is no problem.  Have yet to actually stream from the web or another computer.  I do not have a NAS so is it possible to configure rune to see a network drive on a Mac or Win 10 PC?

Tubeburner

« Reply #34 on: 5 Sep 2017, 03:40 am »
What player did you use before? Your player on your computer can become a server. You should be able to see it under MPD. I had to set my JRiver to server before I set up the Pi. You will need to allow access through your network. I am NOT an expert so read all you can.

http://www.runeaudio.com/documentation/runeui/playback/

JakeJ

« Reply #35 on: 5 Sep 2017, 04:23 am »
Thank you, tubeburner, I do not have a player app on my Win 10 machine amd I use a dedicated Mac Mini as a server for my audio system.  Player is iTunes.  The Mac Mini is not part of this experiment.

As of now I am playing tunes from the included USB stick and one I copied some known tunes onto.  Still haven't figured out how to actually stream from the internet.

JohnR

« Reply #36 on: 5 Sep 2017, 04:31 am »
Glad you got it going  :thumb: I guess the power supply may be a bit marginal for general purpose use (was trying to keep shipping weight down)! I'll add a note to the earlier page.

You should be able to mount a network drive, e.g. this post. However the earlier poster was not able to.

My preferred method for network streaming is using MinimServer etc for better UI, Tidal integration, stream to multiple devices etc.

It is possible to turn on Airplay in the settings, although I don't recommend or use it.

tg3

« Reply #37 on: 25 Dec 2017, 07:36 pm »
It is possible to turn on Airplay in the settings, although I don't recommend or use it.

Why do you not recommend AirPlay?

JohnR

« Reply #38 on: 26 Dec 2017, 11:52 pm »
Because it doesn't work that well... the method I recommend is on the first page of this thread  :thumb: