Universal Remote

Folsom

Universal Remote
« on: 11 Feb 2017, 06:53 am »
Hi everybody,

I have a Dish Network Hopper. Problem is that I hate the remote. Why? Mostly because the buttons are hard to press, feel like shit, don't always work, and the mute goes berserk so you have to press it a few times to get it to randomly land on mute.

I was looking at lower end Logitech Harmony units like the 350 or 630. Anyone care to mention experiences with the quality of their buttons? I also wouldn't mind being able to use one controller to switch to DVD/Blu and use.

tvyankee

Re: Universal Remote
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2017, 01:03 pm »
Phone app remote. They work great.  Just hook ur box to the internet. If not the logitech works pretty well.

Good luck.

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2017, 01:17 pm »
I am a long time Logitech user.

Currently have 3 in the house.

The 700 on the main floor gets tons of use and abuse.  Running strong 4-5 years later.  Speaks the language of any device I have ever tried to use.  Easy to setup.

The only one I ever had issues with was a 900.  Well documented issues with that one.  They replaced it for me with a unit that is wifi enabled.

Recommended. 

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2017, 01:38 pm »
Like Mark long time Logitech user. I've got a Harmony One, don't remember how old now, probably 5+ yrs. Only minor setup issues with some of the older equipment in my HT system, which thankfully when I purchased they included 1 Hr of phone support at no extra charge. It gets drifty shifting between modes on occasion (old programming that gets recalled), but when if needed, I'll buy again.

The feel is good, mine has a touch screen, shape & appearance similar to the 350, with the touch screen of the Ultimate One. Still simple to up-link to their site and reprogram if required, have tweaked a couple of things not long ago. All in all setup is pretty easy, even for we somewhat technically challenged, which we know you are not.

Haven't studied all the features, but would think the 650 would be worth the difference for the display. Don't think you'll be disappointed, but as with all opinions  YMMV.

JD

ctviggen

« Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2017, 02:10 pm »
I would recommend getting one with RF and an RF receiver with IR blasters, if you can afford it.  For my system, the "hardware" is all hidden and the only thing I have to point the remote at is the TV.  (And I could probably make it controllable using an IR blaster, but don't see the need.)

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 11 Feb 2017, 02:55 pm »
I have 3 Harmony Remotes. Use the Harmony One for both the master bedroom and main system. When Costco blew the out for $98 3.5 years back, just before I moved I grabbed another one which is still sitting unopened.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #6 on: 11 Feb 2017, 03:10 pm »
I have the Harmony Ultimate. Works well but the ergonomics are not what I prefer. I use their app with my Ipad to get around that. You would only need to purchase the hub if using your phone or tablet.

My hopper remote works fine. Maybe your Hopper remote is defective. Ask them for a new one.

mcgsxr

« Reply #7 on: 11 Feb 2017, 03:21 pm »
My basement HT is controlled by the RF wifi unit that has an IR blaster in my media closet.  It also has an App I can use.  About $100. 

Folsom

« Reply #8 on: 12 Feb 2017, 12:34 am »
I don't like the Hopper remote. Pressing really hard is probably correct.

I prefer buttons so I don't have to look. That's why I haven't considered using my phone.

Thanks for the replies.

srb

« Reply #9 on: 12 Feb 2017, 12:40 am »
I prefer buttons so I don't have to look. That's why I haven't considered using my phone.

Also using a phone is pretty much a two handed operation.  I have an iPod with a IR transmitter, and although the customizable buttons and sub-drawers are better organized, better looking and more intuitive than most programmable button remotes, the necessary visually confirmation and two hand operation keep it from being used.

Steve

jk@home

« Reply #10 on: 12 Feb 2017, 08:32 pm »
There was another recent thread about remotes, and I was bitchin about Harmony remotes that I had used in hotels etc., never owned one.

Since then I have upgraded from the old URC to a Harmony Elite system (actually bought the 950, then the Hub separately), to run when we watch movies or Netflix. Also got the extra matching add-on non-display Harmony remote for daily TV viewing. Mounted the Hub on top of the right hand side surround speaker, it hits the TV on the front wall and the equipment rack under the left hand side surround speaker.

Works perfectly and I absolutely love it!

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/harmony-add-on

RDavidson

« Reply #11 on: 12 Feb 2017, 08:41 pm »
Just bought one of these for $40 from Best Buy. They've had them on sale for a couple of months now, but it looks like the price jumped back up a little bit. Still, the current $60 price tag is a great value, just not quite the steal that it was at $40. Harmony remotes are great. I have a 670 that is still working daily, though on its last leg. It's OLD.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech-harmony-700-8-device-universal-remote-black/4801401.p?loc=0&ref=8575135&acampID=1a3416aae98811e6a7ad86a730da9bf70INT

Folsom

« Reply #12 on: 11 Mar 2017, 07:03 am »
Ended up with a Harmony 650. Fantastic remote to have. The only thing I'd like is if it were slightly faster switching between things, but that's more a problem with the equipment.

The buttons feel much better to press. Layout is pretty good, but there are a little bit of differences that are slightly not as good as the Hopper remote. It's a moot point though because my Hopper remote has been on the fritz and nearly brought any show watching to a hault.

Setup was really easy, except you can't do it with Linux or Android. I can hear a tiny something that's loose inside and that worries me a tiny bit, but no problems thus far.

The little screen is really nice for sometimes when you're not sure what you're set on etc. It makes perfect sense for when you have multiple "activities" to choose from as well.

Early B.

« Reply #13 on: 11 Mar 2017, 12:59 pm »
I purchased a Harmony 650 two months ago, and now I'm looking to replace it. Doesn't work most of the time. 

Folsom

« Reply #14 on: 11 Mar 2017, 05:42 pm »
Oh boy I hope I don't have that problem :lol:

JoshK

« Reply #15 on: 11 Mar 2017, 05:57 pm »
Since then I have upgraded from the old URC to a Harmony Elite system (actually bought the 950, then the Hub separately), to run when we watch movies or Netflix. Also got the extra matching add-on non-display Harmony remote for daily TV viewing. Mounted the Hub on top of the right hand side surround speaker, it hits the TV on the front wall and the equipment rack under the left hand side surround speaker.

I have similar setup, but did it the other way around.  I had a companion which included the hub plus the simple remote.  That worked fine until I had one too many sources.  Then I got the 950 and use it with the hub.   I love the hub concept because me rack is 20' behind and to the left of my sitting position, but it doesn't matter where you point, it works.  It also knew all my components, even the newer ones, so very little tweaking was needed.

I had 3 other harmony remotes over the years and never liked them for one reason or another.  They never seemed to work quite right without a lot of tweaking the setup and the software was so buggy.   It looks like they have really polished the setup and interface over the years.   I am still not a huge fan of their software, but at least it works well. 

Folsom

« Reply #16 on: 11 Mar 2017, 11:39 pm »
The software isn't perfect. It's ironic really. If you can understand universal remote setup you don't need the hold-your-hand guided thing exactly.

I believe the sound I hear is the thing that tells the screen to wake up.